What clever things do you do with Iris?
4 4

43 posts in this topic

Local viewing allows you to use the cameras outside of the IRIS app.  I use ispy and tinycam for real time monitoring and recording.  The only thing I want IRIS to do is record when the IRIS alarm goes off.

thanks!  Got it.

We just got a new entertainment center for the living room and the cable STB is inside a closed cabinet so I was worried about heat.

So I cut out a hole in the back and mounted some cooling fans and am using a contact sensor and smart plug to watch and control the heat build up. 

It seems to work pretty well, when watching TV the heat will rise but the fans will kick on and cool it back down and once the system is tuned off or the heat goes back down the fans shut off.  

I have one inside a fairly heavy fire proof lock box, and it works great.  I should mention that the box is only a few feet from the Hub, however.

Mine is also in a heavy safe, and also about 10-15ft from the hub.

We just got a new entertainment center for the living room and the cable STB is inside a closed cabinet so I was worried about heat.

So I cut out a hole in the back and mounted some cooling fans and am using a contact sensor and smart plug to watch and control the heat build up. 

It seems to work pretty well, when watching TV the heat will rise but the fans will kick on and cool it back down and once the system is tuned off or the heat goes back down the fans shut off.

Out of curiousity, at what temperature do you kick on the fans?

Out of curiousity, at what temperature do you kick on the fans?

Right now I have to set to 80.  I wish we had temperature graphing so I could track the temp better.

I have my house thermostat set at 80 during the day and I noticed about an hour ago that the fans came on.   I went and looked at the temp on the sensor in the cabinet and it showed 80 as did the temp on from the themostat.  I just checked now and the thermostat temp is still at 80 but the contact sensor in the cabinet now says it is 79, The STB is not on now, or at least it shouldn't be. There is a small Ethernet switch in the cabinet but I can't imagine it generating too much heat.  I have it set to go back off when it falls below 78.  I also have a rule to send me a notification if it ever goes above 90.

I have also thought about adding another smart plug on the main plug to the cabinet and then I could monitor energy usage and have them come on any time the the system is in use.  But I don't think it would be worth the cost of another smart plug.

Well living in a hot climate i use a swamp cooler except when i go to sleep them i turn the air conditioner on. In V1 i was able to turn the swammper on @ 7 and the AC off then do the same thing in reverse at night. So far with V2 i cant get it to work consistently. it will turn the smart plug off controling the swammper but it will not turn on the AC. Well that is because the thermostat like to change from cool to schedule on its own, or something.

So what i am going to do when i can get to Lowes(because the Lowes in my town doesnt sell the iris stuff) is get another contact sensor and place it on my bedroom slider when i open it i want the swammper to go on and when i close it i want the AC to go on. Hopefully it i will not be a problem.. But so far everthing seems to be a problem with V2.

I have an outlet on the exterior of the house for my hydroponic drip irrigation system which has a utility pump plugged into it.  The feed wires from that outlet are plugged into one of the V1 smart outlet modules inside the house.  I can then use the module and IRIS to program as many on/off cycles as I like in one minute increments.  Most controllers sold for this application cost more, can only have a few on/off cycles in one day, and need to be set in 5 minute increments.

I also use the system to send me an alert anytime the door to one of my interior rooms is opened.  I store my firearms and ammo in that room.  Door has a combination deadbolt to get through and then I get an alert on the phone.  No one opens that door that I don't know about.  Been thinking about putting one in my safe as well.  I'm interested to see if it will stay connected with the steel door closed.

Does anyone know if we will get to monitor energy usage for smart plugs similar to (but hopefully even better) what was available in V1 ?

Being able to see how many watts are being drawn at a moment in time is nice but overall doesn't tell you much. In the past you could see a plot of energy usage for a day or month. I'd like to see that capability expanded on and also have the ability to enable saving that data in a CSV file and have it emailed to me every day, week, or month. Then you could build a history and do some fancy graphs in Excel to plot consumption and cost over time.

Been thinking about putting one in my safe as well.  I'm interested to see if it will stay connected with the steel door closed.

My problem was getting the contact sensor to show closed when the safe was closed.  I think it was due to the steel construction of the safe messing with the magnet.  I ended up putting a motion sensor on the inside of the safe door instead.  It works great.  My safe is located on the second floor almost directly above the hub on the first floor.

My problem was getting the contact sensor to show closed when the safe was closed.  I think it was due to the steel construction of the safe messing with the magnet.  I ended up putting a motion sensor on the inside of the safe door instead.  It works great.  My safe is located on the second floor almost directly above the hub on the first floor.

I've had a V1 contact sensor on my gun safe for over a year and it's always worked great.  I have it sandwiching the door seam and have had no issues whatsoever.

I did something similar with one of our outbuildings. I have a

motion sensor that triggers a light in our BR if it senses movement.

The light coming on will wake me as its right near the head of the

bed on my side. Then I can go see if there is anything out there that

needs ventilating. :-)

I used a space heater with a smart plug and a contact sensor on the bathroom door this last winter.  For years we always just used a dumb timer and had the heater come on an hour or so before we got up.  We like for it to be cool when we sleep, but not when we get up and take a shower.  I never liked heating the whole house just so we would not be cold in the bathroom. 

With Iris I can still have it start an hour before, but with the contact sensor I can have it shut off when it gets to a set temp and then turn back on when it drops back down.  It also has the advantage of being able to set alternate schedules, as I usually get up earlier on Wednesdays and I don't have to disconnect or turn off the heater on the weekends.

I am hoping if Iris ever adds a rule builder I could also have the heater not turn on when the bathroom door is open.

I suppose you can add a  tilt sensor for emergency shutoff  notification if the heater falls over and a smartplug to turn on/off to convert any electric Portable Heater you already own to be smart like the new Duraflame, Monitor temps of room with door window sensors to trigger heater along with schedules.

Why they made a whole new heater seems like a waste of time when they promised the v1 team would free up resources for v2....

I wonder what the cost of the new heater will be vs a conversion?

I have not looked into the new heater yet, but I planned to check it out.  The space heater I used last winter is fairly old and I wanted something a little newer.  I also used a smart plug which I have since re-purposed, so I was going to change the plug in the bathroom to a GE plug.  Depending on the cost of this new heater It might make sense to just get it and leave the plug as is.

I put my basement dehumidifier on a smartplug to cycle the unit; one hour on, one hour off, 24 hours a day. My previous dehumidifier had a feature for the cyclying, but a replacement unit didn't, so I used the smartplug to recreate this functionality.

In addition to my previous post, i'm hoping IRISBYLOWES will add a feature to the temperature/humidity detectors that will allow us to setup a rule for high humidity that would tell my smartplug to turn on the dehumidifier. This would allow me to have better control of the dehumidifier, based on the humidity at the far ends of the room, versus what the dehumidifier sees the humidity being within the unit's humidity detector.

I sit around and think of really foul things to call this system...some of those are really clever although I wont share them here. V2 IS JUNK. A real let down. One clever thing I would like to see from Iris is one day...just one without something goig crazy, without some failure, how about a week where I dont have to call them and they dont have to call me..Here's a novle clever idea for Iris....FIX THIS SYSTEM. Or quit...just give it up...send all of us a message telling us what our in store cretit would be based on those items we have set up and tell us GOOD BYE.