What clever things do you do with Iris?
4 4

43 posts in this topic

Everything is finally working, so I'm hesitant to change anything, but ... I get the feeling I'm way underutilizing Iris.  I've got some basic stuff going:  Security alarm and a couple of lights on a schedule.  I'm not using any fobs or buttons, and when I've seen them for a good price, I've been tempted, but I couldn't really think what I'd do with them.  I wish my thermostat was integrated, but we recently got new HVAC, and it came with a thermostat on Nexia, so that's automated, just through a different app.  Home security is a priority, but more automation would be great, too.  To the extent that it matters:  We're me, wife, four preteen kids, two-car garage, pool.  Anyway ... What are some other ideas?  What's the cleverest thing you do with Iris?  Where else can I read about good ideas?

I have sensors that I have out outside.  One on my gate to let me know when someone comes to the backyard.  I also have a hose controller that fills my dog's water bowl.  I have a motion sensor outside that acts as a driveway sensor (I have been thinking of another method, just haven't done it yet), but this works fairly well.  I actually have a V1 sensor that I use on the gate and at first I wrapped the joint line with electrical tape to "waterproof" it, but now I don't use any tape and it has been out there for over a year.  An added benefit is that I can tell outside temperature with this sensor as well.

I also have a V1 sensor on my gate for less than a year so far,didnt seal it or anything just as it came from the package we had so much rain for the past weeks and is working great so far,is always a peace of mind to know you have that outside part of your home covered, about a month ago the electric reader guy didnt shut the gate all the way so I keep getting this notifications that the gate door was opening and closing constantly, so I check the camera and saw the gate door was not closed properly so it was good to know, Im glad  the dogs weren outside at that time,I have another V1 sensor inside my frigde door,just for the fun of it but then one day my son forgot to close the fridge door and left to school,got a notification the door was left open for a while,luckly I wasnt to far away from home so now I like having the sensor there,and even do I have a tilt sensor in my garage door,I put a V1 sensor in the grage door, the tilt sensor will let you know if the door is open until almost half way there,so by adding a sensor in the garage door it wont take more than an inch when the door opens that you will get notify.

Perfect.  I just put a contact sensor on our basement freezer, which doesn't get closed all the way *at least* once every couple of months.  (Bummed that the shortest duration before notification is 30 minutes--seems like I should be able to set that to whatever I want.)  Need to think about the driveway idea ...

Keep 'em coming!

Perfect. I just put a contact sensor on our basement freezer, which doesn't get closed all the way *at least* once every couple of months. (Bummed that the shortest duration before notification is 30 minutes--seems like I should be able to set that to whatever I want.) Need to think about the driveway idea ...

Keep 'em coming!

Set it to notify you when the temperature climbs above a certain point in addition to the open too long notification. I have mine set to notify me at 30 degrees.

I use a door sensor on the mailbox to notify me when the mail has arrived or someone left the mailbox door open.  I also have a relay system ran off a GE Outlet that allows me to set a schedule for my pool to turn off and on (saved me a ton on the power bill!!!).  Also in the winter time I use a motion sensor in the carport for a temperature device so when the temp gets below freezing it will automatically turn the pool pump on to prevent the pipes from freezing and turn back off above freezing.  I have a salt pool so I leave it running year round.  Also the motion sensor outside turns the outside lights on when there is motion in the carport (ran some racoons off late one night from the lights coming on) and I use it to trigger the camera since the motion sensor in the camera kept picking up cars driving down the road and the external sensor is pointed down at the concrete from the ceiling.  I also use a door sensor in the outside laundry room to control a GE Outdoor Plug that turns on a oil filled heater when the temp drops too low in that room to keep the pipes from freezing.

I used a space heater with a smart plug and a contact sensor on the bathroom door this last winter.  For years we always just used a dumb timer and had the heater come on an hour or so before we got up.  We like for it to be cool when we sleep, but not when we get up and take a shower.  I never liked heating the whole house just so we would not be cold in the bathroom. 

With Iris I can still have it start an hour before, but with the contact sensor I can have it shut off when it gets to a set temp and then turn back on when it drops back down.  It also has the advantage of being able to set alternate schedules, as I usually get up earlier on Wednesdays and I don't have to disconnect or turn off the heater on the weekends.

I am hoping if Iris ever adds a rule builder I could also have the heater not turn on when the bathroom door is open.

I used the garage door opener to open my sliding gate.  I put the GDO in a weatherproof box and ran the wires to my gate motor.  I even rigged up a system using a door hinge with the tilt sensor.  When the gate slides, the hinge and the sensor slide back with the gate and will hit a bar that I put towards the back of the gate and it will raise the hinge and the sensor to put the tilt sensor in the open position.  If you want more info, i can post a picture or add more details.

I used the garage door opener to open my sliding gate.  I put the GDO in a weatherproof box and ran the wires to my gate motor.  I even rigged up a system using a door hinge with the tilt sensor.  When the gate slides, the hinge and the sensor slide back with the gate and will hit a bar that I put towards the back of the gate and it will raise the hinge and the sensor to put the tilt sensor in the open position.  If you want more info, i can post a picture or add more detaI

If the gate is stopped mid-stroke, will the GPO still activate it like the remote does?

Gate Opener -   I use a smart button, smart plug and an AC relay to effectively push the button on a spare gate opener remote.  Then I have a Rule to turn the smart plug ON and a Scene to toggle the smat plug OFF when I press the smart button.  I was banking on the Scene running slower than the Rule and it works.  As a backup I also have a rule to shut the smart plug off if it has been on for a minute.

All this because it has to toggle on then off to activate the gate opener motor.

I have so far added smart buttons in two locations for convenience.  Say if I'm working in the shop and a friend drops by, I press the button I have stuck on my tool box to open the gate.

If Lowe's ever gets the cameras straightened out I will simplify this all by using the camera I have pointed at the gate to shut the smart plug off.

Gate Opener -   I use a smart button, smart plug and an AC relay to effectively push the button on a spare gate opener remote.  Then I have a Rule to turn the smart plug ON and a Scene to toggle the smat plug OFF when I press the smart button.  I was banking on the Scene running slower than the Rule and it works.  As a backup I also have a rule to shut the smart plug off if it has been on for a minute.

All this because it has to toggle on then off to activate the gate opener motor.

I have so far added smart buttons in two locations for convenience.  Say if I'm working in the shop and a friend drops by, I press the button I have stuck on my tool box to open the gate.

If Lowe's ever gets the cameras straightened out I will simplify this all by using the camera I have pointed at the gate to shut the smart plug off.

I did that before I got the GDO.  I had a relay soldered to a spare remote.  When the plug was activated, it turned the rely on which then turned the remote on.  The problem was that i either had to set the plug to turn off after 1 min or click the plug button again to turn the relay and opener remote off.  This would run down the battery in the remote.  I solved this problem by using the API.  I was able to active the plug for only 5 sec and then shut itself off.  I really miss the API, the was so much more I could do.

The GDO will still activate the gate if it stopped mid slide.  I have an Aleko gate opener.

i use a GE outlet for my dehumidifier.  I use a schedule to have it only turn on at night and then off in the morning, this way it doesn't annoy my kids if they play in the basement.  I have a motion detector in my walk in closet that turns on the GE light switch in the closet when I walk in there.  I have a rule set up to unlock the door when I turn off the alarm, so when we are pulling in the driveway someone can disable the alarm on the phone and the door will unlock at the same time.  Water sensors in the basement will tell the main shut off to turn off the water if they detect water.  A rule that I do like but can't use is turn off the alarm when the door is unlocked.  I cannot use this because there are windows on my exterior door so if someone breaks the window and unlocks the door from the inside it will disable the alarm.  These are a few of the things I can think of that I like, if i come up with more I will post them.  Also I have a door sensor on my wall safe like another poster, great idea.

I use a smart plug on 4 of my 16 lorex cameras and a monitor inside my vault. When the alarm is "on" or the vault room door opens, the smartplug activates the 4 cameras that are inside my home while we are away only. This is for privacy. Like mentioned above, you never know who hacks in or when to any of your devices. I would never have a third party like at&t monitor the inside of my home! When iris notifies me of intruder, I can immediately view the entire property and alleviate any sense of a false alarm.

I use a v1 keyfob in a enclosed car trailer to notify me if it accidently leaves the house.

I use a door sensor on a freezer with care graphs to monitor the Fathers Jager consumption.

Thanks, so the GDO really does not need the tilt sensor it comes with to work? its  probably just used to display the right action on the app (open or close).  I wonder if you can reset it and pair it separately with the hub.  

I did that before I got the GDO.  I had a relay soldered to a spare remote.  When the plug was activated, it turned the rely on which then turned the remote on.  The problem was that i either had to set the plug to turn off after 1 min or click the plug button again to turn the relay and opener remote off.  This would run down the battery in the remote.  I solved this problem by using the API.  I was able to active the plug for only 5 sec and then shut itself off.  I really miss the API, the was so much more I could do.

The GDO will still activate the gate if it stopped mid slide.  I have an Aleko gate opener.

The only non-standard use I've implemented is a motion sensor stuck to the top of the inside back panel of my mailbox.  I get notified as soon as it opens but it's tucked up out of the way and is less likely to be seen or tampered with than a contact sensor on the door, though it does light the inside of the mailbox up at night with it's pretty little LED as it detects the motion.

I'm refusing to buy anything else for my system until we see if v2 will stabilize soon but when I'm comfortable buying stuff again i want to try one of those third party "pet friendly" motion sensors.  I need an advance alert system when someone is approaching but the stock Iris motion sensors are too sensitive (too many neighborhood animules causing too many false alerts).  A couple of years ago I had one kicking on a smart plug with a radio plugged into it for 1 minute but it didn't last long before I got sick of constant false alerts.  I thought it'd be funny to use that setup at Halloween and record a blood curdling scream on a one minute loop (this of course requires use of an old school boombox and a 90 minute Memorex... lol remember those?).  I still used it to turn on the front porch light on motion detection after sunset and just lived with it turning on for animals.  Has anyone figured out the right combo of rules/scenes to do motion detection on sunset/sunrise settings in v2 yet?  Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right but no matter what I do the light comes on regardless of time of day.  At least it's coming on I guess.

I'd be interested if someone has rigged up some sort of advance-doorbell system that doesn't involve recording a doorbell sound effect on a loop on an old school cassette.  I'd like to have enough notice to tune into my (third party) IP cameras to watch visitors approach, but I guess I'd settle for push notifications if I could get a motion sensor that ignores raccoons.

This was on V1, but there's no reason this wouldn't work on V2.  (except the cameras)

I used additional contact sensors and the different alarm mods (partial vs on vs vacation) to create different zones when I had workers in my house while the basement was being finished.  They could open the front door using the schlage deadbolt without disarming the alarm.  But the only areas they had access to were the garage, the hall, the bathroom, the great room, and the basement.   All other rooms, bedrooms, pantry, and the fridge all had contact sensors that would set off the alarm.  I have seven cameras, so I adjusted where they were located, to conspicuously cover all entries and exits and key areas inside the home.

I then had IT set me up with a third monitor which constantly had a stream of my cameras going anytime someone was there.  I could tell who was coming and going, and what they were doing VERY well.

Separately, I use a contact sensor placed near the kids beds to monitor the temps in their rooms, and turn their ceiling fans on, up, down, etc automatically at different temps.

This was on V1, but there's no reason this wouldn't work on V2.  (except the cameras)

You will have local viewing after 1.11 is released and completely duplicate this with v2.  I am guessing this is coming very soon as it has been announced.  Hopefully by the end of the week.

Thanks, so the GDO really does not need the tilt sensor it comes with to work? its  probably just used to display the right action on the app (open or close).  I wonder if you can reset it and pair it separately with the hub.  

To answer my own questions: You absolutely need the tilt sensor and no you can pair it separately.

You will have local viewing after 1.11 is released and completely duplicate this with v2.  I am guessing this is coming very soon as it has been announced.  Hopefully by the end of the week.

Would someone please explain this "local viewing" I see mentioned often?

thanks!

Would someone please explain this "local viewing" I see mentioned often?

thanks!

Local viewing allows you to use the cameras outside of the IRIS app.  I use ispy and tinycam for real time monitoring and recording.  The only thing I want IRIS to do is record when the IRIS alarm goes off.

I forgot to mention that I have a sensor on the inside of my safe as well.... It sends me a notification if the safe is opened.

Hmnm, I thought about this but i was worried the signal wouldn't make it out of the safe. Guess it maybe worth buying a sensor after all to try.

Hmnm, I thought about this but i was worried the signal wouldn't make it out of the safe. Guess it maybe worth buying a sensor after all to try.

I have one inside a fairly heavy fire proof lock box, and it works great.  I should mention that the box is only a few feet from the Hub, however.