Hub update 10-2-2014
6 6

70 posts in this topic

You've just described my exact problem - it just reboots throughout the day.  Amazingly, when I got home from work today my hub had been running for about 18+ hours - the longest time it's been up since my hub update.  I'm cautiously optimistic that they fixed something but I'll keep an eye on mine.

You've just described my exact problem - it just reboots throughout the day.  Amazingly, when I got home from work today my hub had been running for about 18+ hours - the longest time it's been up since my hub update.  I'm cautiously optimistic that they fixed something but I'll keep an eye on mine.

Mine is locked up again right now, I am not at home so I can't reboot it.  Fun times.

Mine is locked up again right now, I am not at home so I can't reboot it.  Fun times.

Ack.  Mine too.  I've rebooted mine several times already - powered down even by removing power cord and backup battery.  Looks like I'll be calling up tech support today.

My hub continues to lock up every 8-12hrs and I am actively troubleshooting it with Iris support. One issue I have identified is that the battery pack only runs my hub for 5-10 minutes. Separately I have noticed that if the hub has locked up I can cycle the power to the device and it does reboot, so switching to battery backup is a cogitative decision by the hub apparently.

One possibility is that I have noticed the battery pack is rather warm when not charging/discharging (perhaps it is just radiant heat from the Iris hub itself. It might try to charge the battery pack for 8 hours and when this fails it shuts down the hub. Iris support is aware of the battery issue in mine, and has indicated they have replaced several hub batteries thus far.

Anyone else who is affected see any resolution yet?

I removed the battery from the Iris hub and the good news is that it hasn't locked up hard yet (12hrs). Unfortunately it has spontaneously restarted six hours ago without locking up.

Starting to think about other automation controllers now... Vera (Micasa Verde). Going to halt spend on all Zigbee hardware for Iris and focus only on Z-wave for now.

I'll certainly offer you guys my Zigbee hardware used if it comes to that.

If “low signal” is the status on a V2, then iris will tell you on the range extender details page which protocol is not connected and provide information about how to resolve the issue.

True, but the link provided goes to the generic troubleshooting page. Not one directed to the extender.

I resolved my extender issues after this update by removing them from my system. They seem to provide little benefit for my system and have became a pita to keep online

I've been in contact with IRIS support who has been working with Alertme (they describe as the "UK team"). They have reproduced the problem that I have and are working on fix for this. I haven't gotten an update recently but will share anything else that I find.

Anyone else making progress?

I've been in contact with IRIS support who has been working with Alertme (they describe as the "UK team"). They have reproduced the problem that I have and are working on fix for this. I haven't gotten an update recently but will share anything else that I find.

Anyone else making progress?

Nice.  Thanks for keeping IRIS support in the loop on this.  I called mine in last weekend (really the only time I have a chance to dink with this anymore) and the tech essentially gave my hub a clean bill of health after updating something followed by a reset.  I doubt it would've fixed anything, and it didn't.  Still unexpectedly restarts, and the hub recovers.

I was starting to remove and re-pair some easy items (ie. keyfobs) to the hub in hopes it has something to do with this.  Keep us posted.  I'll try them again on Saturday.

Nope, mine is still locking up and rebooting all the time.  I called again a few nights ago to see if they could just push the old firmware back out to it so I can actually rely on the thing again.  That was this past weekend and I haven't heard a word back from them.  I would think that everyone would be having this problem as all the hubs are the same.  You would think they would pull and Apple and release a new one the next day when they released buggy firmware, hey we can dream right?  I pulled the battery from mine also, but the reason behind me doing it was I am tired of pressing the reset button, now I can just unplug it.

Are these hub reboots related to the number of range extenders or the age of the units?  More extenders = more instability?  My new iris hub with a single extender and about 20 devices total currently has an uptime of 4 days, 2 hours, 48 min and would be higher if I hadn't been performing other upgrades over the weekend.

Are these hub reboots related to the number of range extenders or the age of the units?  More extenders = more instability?  My new iris hub with a single extender and about 20 devices total currently has an uptime of 4 days, 2 hours, 48 min and would be higher if I hadn't been performing other upgrades over the weekend.

I don't think so.  I have 73 devices, 6 of which are range extenders and have 10 days, 5 hours, 39 minutes of uptime and never experienced a reboot that was not done by pressing the reset button.

Are these hub reboots related to the number of range extenders or the age of the units? More extenders = more instability? My new iris hub with a single extender and about 20 devices total currently has an uptime of 4 days, 2 hours, 48 min and would be higher if I hadn't been performing other upgrades over the weekend.

I also have one range extender and 28 or so devices hooked to the system.

The only information I have at this time is that the Alertme folks are working on a patch. I demanded a firmware rollback and was told it couldn't be done. I am completely disenchanted with the cloud based automation system and am ready to buy a Vera Lite control and replace my nine contacts, two smart plugs, two key fobs, two keypads, and two range extenders with pure z-wave.

The smokes and thermostats are the expensive bit and thank goodness they are z-wave not "iris zigbee".

Oh yea, Vera controllers can operate as slaves for a master controller, allowing me to extend z-wave coverage to my Ethernet connected out-buildings.

Hi all, newbie as of yesterday, have been going over the internet looking for info on the Iris and what I can do with it.  Question about updates, are they automatic or is there something I have to do to get the update?  Love all the discussions.

Hi all, newbie as of yesterday, have been going over the internet looking for info on the Iris and what I can do with it.  Question about updates, are they automatic or is there something I have to do to get the update?  Love all the discussions.

under "Devices" you hub will show as "Update Available" and you have to open it and hit the update button. Iris does not apply any updates automatically.

Thanks, if you don't mind, a few more questions.  First, i can't believe there is no documentation, "None".  I don't mind digging but there is almost no starting point except the forums.  Can you query IRIS for what update it has and are there any "tools" out there that let you query iris for information?  Just shelved a Vera Lite for the Iris and I think I am going to like this, it seems more usable.  Thanks in advance.

You just shelved a Vera lite... I just bought one. LOL. I was frustrated with Lowes realatively closed approach (very apple like) but then I found out why this is also awesome. The only devices that worked properly with Vera were my Radio Thermostats (CT-30 I think). The GE lightswitches... Got one to work and one would pair and then fail. First Alert smoke detectors showed up as motion detectors...

But to answer your question about firmware: you have no option but to choose when to update to the current release. There is no file, there is no rolling back, there are no backups to be made. There aren't any release notes.

You just shelved a Vera lite... I just bought one. LOL. I was frustrated with Lowes realatively closed approach (very apple like) but then I found out why this is also awesome. The only devices that worked properly with Vera were my Radio Thermostats (CT-30 I think). The GE lightswitches... Got one to work and one would pair and then fail. First Alert smoke detectors showed up as motion detectors...

But to answer your question about firmware: you have no option but to choose when to update to the current release. There is no file, there is no rolling back, there are no backups to be made. There aren't any release notes.

There actually are release notes that have been present with the last few upgrades. Following the upgrade you will get a popup outlining what changes have been made. The popup will continue each time you log in until you check the "don't show again" box.

On  Vera Lite, I had the Aeon Labs Z-Wave Smart Energy Meter and a controllable plug but the GUI interface for Vera is awful and slow.  It just seemed clunky.  So far I am very excited about Iris, Since getting it yesterday and setting up several devices, I have even been able to use Magic.  Just got back from Lowes with a outdoor cam and 2 outlets.  I write software so I would like to do some experimenting with Iris.