Glass brake
2 2

7 posts in this topic

do you understand that opening a window (which is pretty easy to do if no additional latches are installed) won't trigger the glass break?

and breaking the glass won't trigger the window contact sensor?

I like the glass break because I have a pet and have to disable motion sensors in partial alarm mode. This with the contact sensor gives the added layer of security I was looking for.

Id love a glass brake sensor to be out bc im buying a new house and would love to have this instead of having to buy 6 window contacts for just one room.

I think all the responses have pretty much covered all you need to get that one room covered.  Just be clear, if you want to be security conscious for that room, here's the following order of implementation from best to worst.  You have to take into consideration the different modes (ON and PARTIAL) that you'll use with your sensor combination.

1. 6 window contacts + PIR sensor (motion sensor) + Glass Break

- Window contacts and Glass break serve as "perimeter" sensors, which will set the alarm off BEFORE an intruder enters the house.  That is, any windows that are forced open, or broken, will first set the alarm off.  This setup benefits both "ON" and "Partial" modes, but especially for "Partial Mode" when you're home with the PIRs disabled.

2. 6 window contacts + Glass break

- Usually does pretty well in most situations - just make sure an intruder can't force entry through other means other than breaking glass or opening a window.  This is more or less the configuration for homes with small pets running around and will set off the PIRs.

3. 6 window contacts + PIR

- Most common setup - you lose some effectiveness for "Partial" mode in this setup.  Still OK for "ON" mode.

4.  PIR + Glass Break

- Partial mode is defeated if PIR is deactivated in Partial and especially if intruder enter by means of forcing a window open.

5. PIR

- Again, Partial mode is defeated.

6. Glass Break

- With no other sensors, an Intruder can force a window open, wonder about in your room and not trip the alarm in either modes.

The takeaway here is that Glass Break sensors must complement another type of sensor or sensors.  By themselves, they won't provide a whole lot of benefit.  You should plan out what kind of protection you need for both the "ON" and "PARTIAL" modes and decide what sensors you need to adequately cover that room.

And by the way, my wish for the glass break sensor is that this sensor causes the alarm to go off IMMEDIATELY after the sensor is tripped.  Waiting for the alarm trip delay to expire for this sensor would be awful.

I wish there was a way of setting the time for individual sensor types. I have a delay as it's easy to trip the alarm by tigger with a motion sensor I have on in partial mode, in the morning. So,I like a bit of them to deactivate the alarm. But for sensors where you want it to trip immediately so the alarm goes off before the person is in the house, then immediately would be way better as G35Rider says.