Reboot hub from Mobile App?
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Is there a way to reboot the hub from the mobile app?  V2?

Sometimes when I am home something will disconnect and will not reconnect until I reboot the hub.

Is there a way to reboot the hub if I am away from the mobile app?

Thanks

Not from the app but what I and others use is a WiFi plug independant of Iris.  Put this between your ac supply and the hub and if you need to reboot just turn this plug off and back on.  You'll need to remove the batteries also unless you want to wait until they die.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Connect-Energy-Saving-AH357-Warranty/dp/B00QL43YDE

Not from the app but what I and others use is a WiFi plug independant of Iris. Put this between your ac supply and the hub and if you need to reboot just turn this plug off and back on. You'll need to remove the batteries also unless you want to wait until they die.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Connect-Energy-Saving-AH357-Warranty/dp/B00QL43YDE

This is what I do. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of 4/26/17, that item is sold out. Instead, I ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQ4R1RK?psc=1

ezOutlet - Internet Enabled IP Remote Power Switch with Reboot (AC Power / Single Outlet / iOS / Android / Web Interface)

from Amazon. This should be a lifesaver- - our internet goes down all the time. In fact, internet is the biggest Achilles heel of IRIS. I sure miss their old gen-1 backup 3G modem arrangement with Verizon. Nowadays, you get 3 days backup time to fix your problem, and it costs a fortune. Try doing that from 1500 miles away!

So if your Internet goes down all the time how will you reach this to reboot your hub? There are other much less expensive wifi plugs that will do the same, assuming you have an Internet connection. 

Rebooting the router only relates to the Internet connection while rebooting the hub clears any corruption that may be occurring. 

Fortunately this has become much less of a problem and at least in my case has become a non event.

7 minutes ago, erlwebmail said:

No need to reboot the hub. The key is to reboot the Internet modem/router so the hub can continue to operate. Of course, you COULD reboot both...

I think his question is if your internet is down how will you be able to access the switch to have it turn off power.

Nevermind I just read the description and I see how.

14 hours ago, Terminal said:

I think his question is if your internet is down how will you be able to access the switch to have it turn off power.

Nevermind I just read the description and I see how.

Yup, that's right- - access (internet connection) is the main problem. It's rare to have to re-boot the hub, although I have had problems with the Orbit water timer and had to get a neighbor to come in and reset both it and the hub. It would be nice to be able to send the hub (or ANY Iris-enabled item) a RESET signal. It's not a solution to cut off hub power briefly, as the hub simply switches to battery backup power.

No, my biggest challenge is losing the internet connection. One solution is to cycle the power on the modem/router, using a 24-hour mechanical timer. If it fails, wait 24 hours for another try. A better solution is the device mentioned above, which checks for internet and, if no signal, cycles power "x" minutes later, repeating every "x" minutes until success. I'll report back, later this summer, when I can get there and install/test the thing.

I did have one situation under Gen-1 where I was using a range extender router. Hub saw a connection with the extender router, but the extender/router had not successfully connected with the modem or the 1st router. I suggested a correction (such as testing by pinging a known site instead of just accepting a local IP address assignment 192.168.xxx.xxx). Don't know if they did that or not.

can't you just use your smartphones' browser to navigate to the iris web portal and do it from there?

John, is the web portal setup to detect and support mobile browsers?

If you have a spare telephone line, you could use this:
http://www.ambery.com/2phrepduposw.html
I used to use these at our two branch offices when they were on a DSL connection that was a little problematic.
I could call in and put in my pin and turn on or off either of the outlets. I had their VPN router on one, and a DSL modem on the other. We had credit card machines on dedicated phone lines.... the credit card lines only made outgoing calls, so I was able to put these on the same line as the CC machine (it picks up any incoming call automatically like an answering machine, then it asks for a PIN).
You could put your modem on one of the receptacles and the hub on the other.

But then again, these days a lot of people are dropping phone lines all together, so its probably rare that someone is paying for a "spare line" they aren't using.

Rebooting the Hub: Okay, so I fired up Gillion's "http://iriswebportal.com/" and it detects both of my two Iris systems, one as "My Home" and the other as the correct name. However, the "System Status" field is not populated for either system, and "Favorites" lists only one device on one system. (I have no Iris cameras.) I fiddled around with the menu, found the little wrench, and tried out several menu options. I am happy to report that it summarizes history that I thought was lost when internet to the hub went down. Unfortunately, it doesn't include what was going on when the internet was down but the hub was still running. But, at any rate, congratulations, Gillion, you're on the right track and doing a great job. :D I'd be interested in knowing how you did it. Can you point me to someplace here on the forum that tells about it? ...and where/how does it store hub backup data? I couldn't get downstairs fast enough to see any blinking light show, so I can only assume that the hub backup and soft reset options worked.

Rebooting the Internet Connection: Regarding Smitho's post on Ambery equipment, I dropped all our landlines some time back, then dropped all our VOIP lines too. I used a similar system, X-10, for alarming and dialing in for home automation, and wish I could still use it- -  it didn't cost an arm and a leg to run rules and such, managing the hub was far simpler, devices were much cheaper, and the land line was more reliable than the internet connection. Unfortunately, X-10 has gone bankrupt several times, and is behind on embracing the internet.  ...but I still use their cameras. Ambery makes a really nice 4-port power switch that responds to internet, telephone, RS-232 serial cable, etc. which would do a great job. http://www.ambery.com/poadpr.html

We have a nice choice of "toys" available now, it seems. The combination of resetting the internet connection with the hardware mentioned above, plus Gillion's IrisWebPortal to reset the hub, hopefully should help solve most of my problems. If only we could improve the danged ISP so it won't go down every time a rain cloud goes over the property, we'd really have something. Perhaps marching on Time Warner, or getting our "beloved" Commander-in-Chief to start a tweet war with 'em, or something...?

...not going there. :wacko:

3 hours ago, erlwebmail said:

Rebooting the Hub: Okay, so I fired up Gillion's "http://iriswebportal.com/" and it detects both of my two Iris systems, one as "My Home" and the other as the correct name. However, the "System Status" field is not populated for either system, and "Favorites" lists only one device on one system. (I have no Iris cameras.) I fiddled around with the menu, found the little wrench, and tried out several menu options. I am happy to report that it summarizes history that I thought was lost when internet to the hub went down. Unfortunately, it doesn't include what was going on when the internet was down but the hub was still running. But, at any rate, congratulations, Gillion, you're on the right track and doing a great job. :D I'd be interested in knowing how you did it. Can you point me to someplace here on the forum that tells about it? ...and where/how does it store hub backup data? I couldn't get downstairs fast enough to see any blinking light show, so I can only assume that the hub backup and soft reset options worked.

If the system status field doesn't show anything is because there is nothing wrong with your system :) . As for the backup that will give you a .iris file to save where ever you like. All this does is restore the hub.

To find out more about the portal you can look at the 2 links below

https://github.com/thegillion/Iris-Web-Portal

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/3368-iris-web-portal-v120/