Landscape lighting
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Anyone using a smart plug for low voltage landscape lighting?  Seems like the quick way would be to pull the manual triggers on the timer, set the transformer to on, and just plug it in to a smart plug.  Any inexpensive transformers out there?  Or a better way to do it?

TIA

I do this but instead of a timer I use a 110 volt powered relay to just open or close the neutral. The relay is energized with a smart plug. I have one the transformer plugs into and 3 others for different zones.

I do this but instead of a timer I use a 110 volt powered relay to just open or close the neutral. The relay is energized with a smart plug. I have one the transformer plugs into and 4 others for different zones.

Great idea for a write up to put in the hacks/how to section.  This would be of benefit to our community.

Anyone using a smart plug for low voltage landscape lighting?  Seems like the quick way would be to pull the manual triggers on the timer, set the transformer to on, and just plug it in to a smart plug.  Any inexpensive transformers out there?  Or a better way to do it?

TIA

I also do this.  Although my landscape lighting is Solar powered I have ambient lighting (LED's) on my decks.  It uses a landscape transformer that I have just set to on.  It is plugged into a GE Z wave outlet.  I have a rule scheduled to turn on the deck lights if any of the deck doors are opened between sunset and sunrise.  I then have an energy rule setup to turn them off if they run more than 5 hours.  That is just in case I have too many cocktails and forget to turn them off before I turn in.  I can also toggle them with a smart button.

TIA

I did this a long time ago on V1, one of the first things I did.  Yep, just pull the tabs preventing it from turning off and never have to worry about a power outage messing up your timers again  :)

I am replacing some timers at my moms house to eliminate all the adjusting.  Power outages, DST, and sunset changes throughout the year.  I end up spending a lot of visiting time working and was just trying to eliminate some of it.  I ran across Wemo switches at Walmart on clearance for $5 and picked up a few.  I replaced a timer and a light switch with the Wemo switches, but had one low voltage timer left.  Set it up on a schedule, and now neither one of us have to worry about them.

Thanks!

I use a Sollos commercial transformer that is configured to add a timer module and photo cell if desired.  I use smart plugs instead and have them on a schedule. The first image is the transformer and the plug in the timer module ignites the transformer. Voltage from the taps is live to 3 zones.  The box on the bottom holds 4 smart plugs. One feeds the transformer, the other 3 ignite 110 volt 1 amp relays which close the circuit on the common to each of 3 zones. 

This of course is all mounted in a weatherproof enclosure and up until V2 had V1 plugs and since V2 has V2 plugs and both have never disconnected.  This box is about 80 feet on the other side of my house from the hub.

All fixtures are LED.  There are 22 75 watt equivalent flood lights and 16 path lights and they use less than 100 watts.

post-8-0-88453100-1469661107_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-76220800-1469661072_thumb.jpg

post-8-0-59451500-1469662727_thumb.png