RING.com formally DoorBot
3 3

30 posts in this topic

So, looks like DoorBot is now Ring and they have a new version out of their old Doorbot system. Looks like it's on special right now for $50 off and I really hope they will team up with IRIS. But, it's something I know I'm adding to my security as well as a new toy to the house. 

http://www.ring.com

I would be all over this if they allowed on demand access to the camera. I tried skybell for this feature but could never get the darn thing to work at all.

I wonder if the camera has its on ip address. It's WiFi so it very well may. If so it may be possible to view it outside of the Ring environment. 

I ordered one of these a couple weeks ago.  Really looking forward to it, but not shipping until Nov 3 =(  I will try to give you guys an update once I get it set up and play with it.  Also it will have its own IP according to the website.

The answer to all of your questions is yes it can. Currently if there is movement it'll contact you and you can look at it via the cloud recording. They are going to be doing anytime access to the camera. To be updated in early 2015.

It has a wide angle lens and can be setup to your existing doorbell wiring or not. So that means you can place it anywhere you like.

Yes it can have a static IP.

Hope that helps you all decide. Check out the site and the video.

I checked it out and I don't think it will work for me. :(

Mine will trigger over every minute, even with the 4 zone option. Hopefully they can trigger by face detection later.

I'll let you know once I receive mine and get it all setup. Since I live in a cul-de-sac it'll work nice for me. 

Seems like the difference is that wink will add on any thing that has its own app and leverage it's api to control the device in wink. This is what it seemed like when I added a myQ garage door and a Honeywell WiFi thermostat. I didn't have to have the hub to do this in the wink app, Iris can't pair them at all.

Where as it seems like Iris makes the device conform to their standards so it can talk to the Iris hub.

If a device already has an api or its own hub why reinvent the wheel and make it talk to yours?

Don't get me wrong I'm sticking with Iris I just want them to adapt a little.

Has anyone received one of these yet?  I'd be interested to know how well they work.  I have Skybell and it is riddled with problems (and Doorbot wasn't any better) to the point of being almost useless and it has been out over a year with bug fixes nowhere in sight.  If Ring works as advertised, I want one but I am not interested in spending another $200+ for another bag of problems.

Has anyone received one of these yet?  I'd be interested to know how well they work.  I have Skybell and it is riddled with problems (and Doorbot wasn't any better) to the point of being almost useless and it has been out over a year with bug fixes nowhere in sight.  If Ring works as advertised, I want one but I am not interested in spending another $200+ for another bag of problems.

They have not shipped yet, they had a delay and now won't be shipped out till sometime next month. I'm thinking about actually doing a WiFi/Poweline plug right by the door for mine, if for any reason I don't get great WiFi to either of my AP's. We shall see how it goes and works. It'll be my nice x-mas gift if it gets here before x-mas.

I just saw an old version of Shark Tank and the DoorBot guy was offered 700,000 for the product and declined the offer.  He disclosed his cost was about 82.00 to get the product into a US warehouse ready for distribution.

I think the Sharks missed out on one.

Looks like some of these have gone out with shipping resuming in Jan.  Did anyone here get one.  If they work as advertised, I want to get one ordered. 

Also, If anyone wants to buy a Skybell cheap, let me know.  I am ditching mine.  I do not recommend the Skybell for anyone on an Android phone but if you are on an Iphone they seem to work reasonably well as the Skybell team are Apple folks and they do not care about Android.

Looks like some of these have gone out with shipping resuming in Jan.  Did anyone here get one.  If they work as advertised, I want to get one ordered. 

Also, If anyone wants to buy a Skybell cheap, let me know.  I am ditching mine.  I do not recommend the Skybell for anyone on an Android phone but if you are on an Iphone they seem to work reasonably well as the Skybell team are Apple folks and they do not care about Android.

I received an email last week stating the shipping was occuring this week and to be on the lookout for an email with my shipping info. I'll let the group know how it goes and how it works for me. I've got both platforms so I can test both with the RING device. 

I received an email last week stating the shipping was occuring this week and to be on the lookout for an email with my shipping info. I'll let the group know how it goes and how it works for me. I've got both platforms so I can test both with the RING device. 

Todd,  Have you installed this yet?  Does it work as advertised?

Yes, I've installed mine and it does work, but with anything that is connected via WiFi....your mileage may very. Mine works great because I've added in a PowerLIne WiFi extension which sits on the other side of the wall from the RING and then sends everything via PowerLine and then on my router I have QoS setup for the RING device to take priority over traffice on my network. Works great for me. I love it!

Yes, I've installed mine and it does work, but with anything that is connected via WiFi....your mileage may very. Mine works great because I've added in a PowerLIne WiFi extension which sits on the other side of the wall from the RING and then sends everything via PowerLine and then on my router I have QoS setup for the RING device to take priority over traffice on my network. Works great for me. I love it!

Thanks for the update.  So it is 100% on an Android device over 4G and WiFi?  My problem with Skybell is that it works intermittently on WiFi and no video on 4G and notifications are often delayed by minutes.  Also, do you have video on demand?

Thanks for the update.  So it is 100% on an Android device over 4G and WiFi?  My problem with Skybell is that it works intermittently on WiFi and no video on 4G and notifications are often delayed by minutes.  Also, do you have video on demand?

It works on both 3G/4G on both platforms fine. But, again your mileage will vary as I have some days that are good and some that are bad. Now, I've had folks be at my house and talk to them on 1 phone so they can RING the doorbell to see how long it takes before it finds me. Which is anywhere from about 10-30 seconds after. Now that's when a phone rings....it can take another 5-15 seconds before Video comes up to see who is there so that you can see if you want to answer or not. 

Again, since my router is upstairs on the other end of the house which is about 80 feet away, I decided to put in the Power-line WifI so that I'd have a stronger signal and let my audio/video travel via Powerline to my router, which I think is more stable the trying to run completely on WiFi for 80 feet thru a few walls in the house. Plus, make sure you if you have QoS on your router....to use it for RING to give it priority. 

Having been on a mission to make Skybell work as advertised for almost a year now, I already have an access point already within feet of the doorbell.  In fact Skybell now has the best WiFi connection of any device in the house.  My last resort here is to replace Skybell for Ring which has now been done.  Ring is ordered.  My daughter and son-in-law have Apple phones, so they will inherit the Skybell that has frustrated me (a devout Android guy) for almost a year.  

No, l'm not running QoS and the skybell is free to take all the bandwidth it would like. I have Comcast extreme 150 and get 180 Mbs down and 26 Mbs up.

That's very fast, I'll be getting google fiber soon with 1GB connection.  I can't wait.  However I'll still use QoS based on the number of devices I have connected wirelessly to my network.  Your router is often the bottleneck.  You might just give that a try to see if it has any impact.

That's very fast, I'll be getting google fiber soon with 1GB connection.  I can't wait.  However I'll still use QoS based on the number of devices I have connected wirelessly to my network.  Your router is often the bottleneck.  You might just give that a try to see if it has any impact.

Thanks dusterp but I have been through all of that,  Bandwidth is really not the issue.  It is just a mater of apple programers trying to write an android app.  Skybell only has b/g wifi anyway.  I have 12 ip cameras on my network that I can stream to my phone over a 3g/4g connection all at the same time without any problem.