Cellular backup must be right around the corner
3 3

42 posts in this topic

I particularly like the fact I can sign up to pay for something that isn't currently available to me...

I like the fact that this information is an indication that it's close enough to place it as an option for billing.  I also like the fact that I'm smart enough to not buy it just yet because I normally don't pay for something I can't use. YMMV.

You're missing the point, Scunny. I agree people want cell backup. The delivery, not the product is what I was referring to. Let's step back and look at the big picture. There are many people on this forum with open support tickets. I'm one of them. Do you honestly believe having that billing option live ahead of an actual service isn't going to cause confusion for some users and add to Support's workload? That's a move straight out of GM's 1981 management book.

From my viewpoint the Iris team is building a product that will need a core following with the following characteristics to succeed:

1. Willing to wait weeks for the resolution of a support ticket.

2. Be comfortable with over promising and delayed or under delivery

3. Be comfortable being a perpetual beta tester

4. Not be bothered by the precarious relationship between Lowe's stores and Iris.

I can go on, but choose not to. We know Iris monitors this forum, but our concerns still don't appear to heard. I don't deny a lot of people are working hard, but every guy in a row boat can work hard rowing in a different direction and not accomplish a thing at the end of the day....

You're missing the point, Scunny. I agree people want cell backup. The delivery, not the product is what I was referring to. Let's step back and look at the big picture. There are many people on this forum with open support tickets. I'm one of them. Do you honestly believe having that billing option live ahead of an actual service isn't going to cause confusion for some users and add to Support's workload? That's a move straight out of GM's 1981 management book.

From my viewpoint the Iris team is building a product that will need a core following with the following characteristics to succeed:

1. Willing to wait weeks for the resolution of a support ticket.

2. Be comfortable with over promising and delayed or under delivery

3. Be comfortable being a perpetual beta tester

4. Not be bothered by the precarious relationship between Lowe's stores and Iris.

I can go on, but choose not to. We know Iris monitors this forum, but our concerns still don't appear to heard. I don't deny a lot of people are working hard, but every guy in a row boat can work hard rowing in a different direction and not accomplish a thing at the end of the day....

I agree with most of what you said.  My point is they are delivering albeit often with serious miscues the product we are asking for.  I'm not going down the road of was it released too soon.  I think I've made myself clear more than once on the subject.

What I find interesting is that we all have our own set of issues.  I have close relationships with people that have as few as 10 and as many as 250 devices and multiple levels in between.  I'm in the middle.  I see different sets of problems in a variety of situations.  I have to say that for the most part my system has been rock solid.  I guess I was born under the right star. 

Cellular backup and local processing is not a major concern for me.  I built my system for automation, security was an after thought since I already had in place more than enough sensors to make it happen.  If I lose my internet for a few hours and Iris fails it's not the end of my world but I understand that's not the case for many, if not most.

What I'm looking for is parity:

Water softener GUI with at least as much data and rules as V1

Energy including the Aeon Labs Power Monitor compatibility, current and forecast energy cost

Lock access scheduling

GDO tilt sensor as an available device for rules other than open or closed notification

Ability to reset the alarm after so many minutes of being triggered

Is Iris perfect, absolutely not.  Is it where it should be at this stage of release, probably close.  

I agree with most of what you said. My point is they are delivering albeit often with serious miscues the product we are asking for. I'm not going down the road of was it released too soon. I think I've made myself clear more than once on the subject.

What I find interesting is that we all have our own set of issues. I have close relationships with people that have as few as 10 and as many as 250 devices and multiple levels in between. I'm in the middle. I see different sets of problems in a variety of situations. I have to say that for the most part my system has been rock solid. I guess I was born under the right star.

Cellular backup and local processing is not a major concern for me. I built my system for automation, security was an after thought since I already had in place more than enough sensors to make it happen. If I lose my internet for a few hours and Iris fails it's not the end of my world but I understand that's not the case for many, if not most.

What I'm looking for is parity:

Water softener GUI with at least as much data and rules as V1

Energy including the Aeon Labs Power Monitor compatibility, current and forecast energy cost

Lock access scheduling

GDO tilt sensor as an available device for rules other than open or closed notification

Ability to reset the alarm after so many minutes of being triggered

Is Iris perfect, absolutely not. Is it where it should be at this stage of release, probably close.

What other rules are you wanting to see with the tilt sensor? Didn't have one on V1, but now I do for v2.

WHAT?!

I've been trying to be patient with Lowe's and give them the benefit of the doubt, but they said there would NOT be a price increase. 

It's bad enough to not have the service available. But to tell customers you're not going to have a price bump, then hit them with a 60% increase is pathetic.

When did they say there would not be a price increase?

I asked the Iris support team on the phone, and was told very clearly that it wouldn't be. I then wrote an e-mail to customer service telling them that although the rep on the phone said there would be no increase, I was skeptical. The e-mail response confirmed that they were not considering an increase. 

Maybe they really weren't at the time, maybe since then someone did a calculation and figured that the extra $36/year per user was worth the customer dissatisfaction. But even if that's the case, it's still rather a slap in the face for customers who bought into this system and have stuck with them during this mess.

I don't want to be overly negative - I appreciate all that people like you, the other admins and a couple of the Tier 2 reps have done to help. I'm just tired of the poor or absent communication from Lowe's, the lack of parity, the huge bugs and the need to beta test a system we've paid so much for and continue to pay for... and now will have to pay even more for.

Apologies for my grumpiness, it's all just wearing on me a bit.

I am super happy that cellular backup is on its way. Shelling out $109 for it upfront, is a bit hard to swallow though. I mean, having a monthly fee is acceptable (I will definitely opt for professional monitoring though - just makes more sense ya know), but having to "buy" a modem that will work only on Iris, now that I cannot justify.