Ecobee3 thermostat
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I love this thing.  It's like the next evolution of what Nest tried to do.  I've got sensors in several rooms now.  My house has never felt more even in temp throughout.  It knows what rooms are occupied, and works to make them more comfortable than the unoccupied ones.  It's aware of the weather outside, and how it impacts the heating/cooling of my home.  It's only been up for a few days, I can't imagine how nice it will be down the road.

I have had mine for several years, back when you had to be an installer to order it.  I love mine, I have it locked with a PIN so the kids can't change the temp in the house.  I thought about getting the newest one, but mine still works fine and integrates with Echo.  I have the color screen one, might be called the 2? https://www.amazon.com/ecobee-Smart-Thermostat-Heat-2-Screen/dp/B004150PJG

It knows what rooms are occupied, and works to make them more comfortable than the unoccupied ones.  

Unless your system has zone dampers and Ecobee can control those what possible affect can it have on individual areas other than running the system or not?

I have had one for a while now and have to say not only do I love the device but also love the support. A few times I have called or emailed in and they always were able to resolve the problem. Most recently my unit starting reading a high temp at the base unit after a power failure, they are sending me a new unit under warranty. Talk about standing behind their product...no questions asked other than contact info. Definitely a device and company I can recommend.

Unless your system has zone dampers and Ecobee can control those what possible affect can it have on individual areas other than running the system or not?

Mainly, it seems to me, the multiple sensors allow two things, first they detect motion so they can be used to determine if the "Away" settings should be used as scheduled, or if there is actually somebody home so the "Home" settings should override the "Away" settings, second, they can be either included or excluded during each scheduled period, and if included the target temperature is compared to the average of all the included sensors, not just the base unit.

My wife's schedule changes each week, so this works great for us because I can schedule the comfort settings for slightly warmer during the weekdays in summer, and cooler during the winters, but if she happens to be home that day the system automatically overrides the schedule and uses the "home" settings instead.  We also have a two story house which tends to be 3 to 4 degrees warmer upstairs, so during the day I exclude the upstairs remote sensor from the temperature readings (it still detects motion) and the system maintains the desired temperature on the first floor where we spend most of our time, but during the evenings I include the remote sensors so the average for the whole house is the desired temperature.  It's not as great as having the vents controlled, or better yet, having separate zones like our previous house did, but it does help.

We have had the EcoBee 3 for about six months now and we love it. We have not had any problems with it and I love the reports I can get from their site. It also works quite well with the Amazon Echo, so I'm really glad I went with it instead of one of the thermostats Iris supports.  Plus their mobile app and web site are both super easy to use and make setting up schedules a breeze. The only tricky part was that the thermostat is actually smarter than I thought it would be, so when I set a schedule and say I want the house at a certain temperature starting at a certain time it actually turns on in advance to get the temperature there at that time, and seems to learn the characteristics of the house and HVAC so it knows how long it will take and is usually bang on. Really confused me the first time I heard the HVAC turn on early and started wondering why the schedule was "off", only to find out the unit was anticipating how long it would take to heat up or cool down to the desired temperature at the scheduled time.

The only tricky part was that the thermostat is actually smarter than I thought it would be, so when I set a schedule and say I want the house at a certain temperature starting at a certain time it actually turns on in advance to get the temperature there at that time, and seems to learn the characteristics of the house and HVAC so it knows how long it will take and is usually bang on. Really confused me the first time I heard the HVAC turn on early and started wondering why the schedule was "off", only to find out the unit was anticipating how long it would take to heat up or cool down to the desired temperature at the scheduled time.

I'm sure you already know this but there is a setting that you can turn that off.  I can look it up on mine if you want it.  I turned mine off so it will only come on at the set time in the afternoon before I get home.  Set the schedule @3 and it won't turn down until 3.

Looks like just averaging temperature across multiple "active" sensors so it might actually get colder in the other rooms in order to bring the occupied room to the proper temperature.

No thermostat can do zoning though, he'll need a proper zoning board, zone dampers (+ bypass damper) and an Ecobee for each zone :)

Looks like just averaging temperature across multiple "active" sensors so it might actually get colder in the other rooms in order to bring the occupied room to the proper temperature.

No thermostat can do zoning though, he'll need a proper zoning board, zone dampers (+ bypass damper) and an Ecobee for each zone :)

Enzo nailed it.  My thermostat is in my hallway, nearer the front door.  The hallway tends to by a wildly different temperature than the great room. The sensor allows the Ecobee to see what room I'm actually using, and make that room comfortable.  It learns how your house and hvac system reacts to the weather outside, and uses your system accordingly.  If multiple rooms are occupied, it averages across those rooms.

Like every house in the midwest, my basement runs much cooler than the upstairs.  I was down in the rec room and theater last night with the family.  The system realized we weren't using the upstairs, and let it get a little warmer so the basement wasn't so cold.  By the time we came upstairs, it was near bedtime, and it didn't have to work as hard to cool the upstairs as the sun was down and it was much cooler outside.

I do this with the keen vents and the rule where motion opens the vent for x minutes in several rooms. Then the night scene runs and closes a few of the vents on 1st floor so its cooler upstairs at night. I have several rules like this to balance the airflow throughout the day. The vents also manually sense air pressure at the vent and if to high it will crack them until it's lowered enough. I have one in the room with the t-stat on the 1st flr where I use the temp rule based on the temp of a button in my 2nd story bedroom. It closes down that vent until my bedroom hits 72 then opens it and closes it again if it gets above 73 over night on a schedule. It helps keeps my bedroom at the temp I want by not pumping a bunch of cold air in the room with the t-stat before the bedroom has cooled to the temp I want. I have several of these and like them a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Love ours as well. You can analyze power usage on Dominion's website (takes into account temp, month length, KW cost, and customer affect) and usage dropped every month since we started using it. Our budget plan (monthly avg) just updated and our bill dropped $45/mo. Not to mention the house is more comfortable than it was with the programmable Honeywell.

I have been extremely impressed with the function of the Ecobee 3 also.  I am so glad that I turned in my Iris Radio thermostat.   It has been rock solid reliable and the extra features have been phenomenal.   It has yet to let me down after several months of owning it whereas the Iris thermostat would not work properly several times a week.   My only complaint is that I've had it since September 1st and I have yet to receive any reports from Ecobee on efficiency etc.    It always says there wasn't enough run time data for the last month.   Guess my house is too efficient?  hah.