4G Modem Doesn't Work Reliably

3 posts in this topic

The new cell modem has three bugs:

- If a door is opened before the switchover to cellular (which I believe takes at least 30 seconds, possibly sometimes up to a couple minutes), it takes 2-3 minutes to notice and sound the alarm.

- It can fault out, rendering it useless. While it worked initially for me, after running on cellular for 5-10 minutes, it completely faulted out, leaving the system without any communication or function. App figured out it had lost communication a couple minutes after the hub started blinking red. I gave it about five minutes, but it never reconnected. I've got solid Verizon 4G coverage, so it wasn't Verizon. 

- It doesn't log anything about loss or regaining broadband to History. 

The new cell modem has three bugs:

- If a door is opened before the switchover to cellular (which I believe takes at least 30 seconds, possibly sometimes up to a couple minutes), it takes 2-3 minutes to notice and sound the alarm.

- It can fault out, rendering it useless. While it worked initially for me, after running on cellular for 5-10 minutes, it completely faulted out, leaving the system without any communication or function. App figured out it had lost communication a couple minutes after the hub started blinking red. I gave it about five minutes, but it never reconnected. I've got solid Verizon 4G coverage, so it wasn't Verizon.

- It doesn't log anything about loss or regaining broadband to History.

You beat me to it on 2 and 3 (mine came in yesterday, so was playing), but didn't realize #1 was an issue. Good catch!

Drat, was hoping that #2 was an uncommon glitch as I only tried it once. Looks like the modem isn't too useful until they fix it.

Another weird thing, I noticed later that my iPad showed push notifications about the broadband/cellular switches, though my iPhone didn't. So at least they're trying to alert you. The iPhone is set to display all notifications, and had one work correctly earlier in the day. So not sure if this is an Apple bug or an Iris one.