Cutting the cable
5 5

103 posts in this topic

I've recently developed an interest in cutting the cable using OTA HD antenna for local programming and something like a Fire Box for all other content.

We have a very diverse and highly tech educated user base here and I'd love to hear what you guys are doing along this line if you are.

We use playon (media server on our computer), and the playon app on our roku to stream content from project free tv. Between that and Hulu, we get most of what we want to watch. For football, we had a relative sign up for DTV Sunday ticket as a college student ($100 for the season) and paid them for that.

We went a slightly different route. Instead of paying for tv cables boxes which were 300% of our cable bill... we bought hdhomerun , pluged in a cable card, and then used kodi to stream it through out the house. $200 in cable boxes cheaper per month, plus intergrated hulu and netflix and amazon prime... bonus! we can also watch downloaded movies from all tv in our house.

I use a regular old "bow tie" antenna for local channels on one tv. I it's the 4 pair type mounted on a pole outside. I get channels from 50-90 miles away. We use fire tv, Apple TV and Roku for Netflix and Kodi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cut the cable about a year ago and I am glad I done it, I setup a HD antenna for local channels and have a Channel Master (DVR) recorder setup for recording my local sports and record the TV shows I want to watch later this also has a guide for local channels which is super nice. Makes it like a channel guide like you see on cable listing, This has a 3 TB HD. I also setup a Plex server 1.5 TB drive running Ubuntu for all my home movie and pictures, plus this is also streaming my camera's now. I have setup Roku 3 devices on the Tv's and have Hulu Plus, Netflix, Sling TV, Vudu also.

I wouldn't go back to cable for nothing...

Good topic. For those who cut the cable, what are you doing for internet?

We've tried here with a good outdoor antenna but DW needs TNT, TBS, etc and have not found good options for those yet. 

Similar to above. Wife was the holdout and once we did, she was so glad we did.

We had and continue to use Netflix, Amazon Video and Plex on 3 FireTV boxes. The stick just wasn't a good experience. Streaming my media, DVD rips from WHS 2011 box and QNAP-TS451+. Also added Mohu Leaf 50-miles OTA antenna with the amplifier. Not as perfect as I would expect, but still pretty good. 

We tried Hulu, didn't like it, but understand it's changed.

We tried SlingTV and found it terribly unreliable.

Then tried PlayStation Vue and that's the ticket! In our situation the $30 per month plan is sufficient. It gives us all the channels we wanted to keep. HGTV, DIY and more. The weakness would be the Cloud DVR. Most of the time it works well. Sometimes a DVR program will buffer or freeze. Trying to work through it with them right now. The Live programs work pretty well.

Best of all. No contract and I can change back and forth at will. They all have free trials so give them all a chance. 

In my living room I use a Samsung TV, Vizio SoundBar and FireTV. I tried the Logitech Harmony 650 with FLIRC given you need bluetooth control for the FireTV That was awkward and sent them back. Then the Harmony Smart Home Control Remote, now the Companion I believe. It was such a better setup experience and a much more comfortable remote. It can do some Smart Home Control too, not Iris of course. I am very happy with it. Best Buy price matched Amazon too.

We've tried here with a good outdoor antenna but DW needs TNT, TBS, etc and have not found good options for those yet. 

The sling package has those.

Thanks. I had just clicked on the link posted by accessdenied79. The last I looked at Sling, it was only OTA DVR.

Edit-

Just noted it doesn't DVR and we never watch live.

That was one reason we went with Vue instead. Overall Vue is good enough. They may simply be overwhelmed given their broader rollout.

Wife is happy with it and it is more like a traditional cable package. Hey, it's got a free trial.

Funny, neither one of us plays *any* online or computer games so Vue was something I ignored.

I just happened to find out about it. It's only nationwide in the last few months. That is likely part of the problem with playback that

we are having at the moment. And you can only get it on certain devices, in our case the FireTV which fortunately we already had. 

But also recognize you can stream on up to 5 devices at the time, i think Sling was only one unless it changed. 

Do read the FAQ sheet to make sure it will work for you. Despite our issues, we have no plans on dropping it and certainly no plans

on going back to cable. 

We cut the cable 6 months ago.

We put up a good HD OTA antennae in the attic and got a Channel Master DVR for OTA programming.

We have fiber Internet and have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Acorn.

We get 99% of what we want to see.

It saves us about $120 a month.

I do have cable for Internet only. Yes and the Antenna is in the attic with a power adapter on it.

I cut the cable over a year ago and get plenty to see through using Roku stick or xbox, Netflix and Hulu plus primarily. News from the internet. Saved around a hundred a month. I will not go back to cable.

Thanks. I had just clicked on the link posted by accessdenied79. The last I looked at Sling, it was only OTA DVR.

Edit-

Just noted it doesn't DVR and we never watch live.

With SlingTV some of the shows you can access later on your schedule, like HBO.