Cutting the cable
5 5

103 posts in this topic

I got a Mohu Sky 60 that I'm pretty satisfied with. Pulling in stations from about 45 miles away without any issue.
It's plugged into a Tivo Romio with a Lifetime tivo subscription. Antenna supplements Hulu, and Netflix, which has become our primary conduit for content.
I was using a windows media center setup with media extenders for many years, but I pulled the plug on that because it seems to be a sinking ship.

I got a ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna with Mount - 60 Mile Range that I'm pretty satisfied with. Pulling in stations from about 75 miles away without any issue for the whole house using an amplifier.

It's plugged into a Tivo Romio with a Lifetime tivo subscription. Antenna supplements HBOGO, Hulu, and Netflix, which has become our primary conduit for content.

Also use chromecast on other tvs with Google Play for movie rentals or purchases and have a fireTV stick and fireTV box for Amazon Video and the kids.

I was using a Android TV stick with xbmc/Kodi but the wife didn't like it and it had some legal issues. The Tivo setup with its remote, dvr, basic cable, Netflix and Hulu integration sold the wife. Kids can work the amazon players as they have a simple remote.

I've been cable free for about 7yrs.

I got a Mohu Sky 60 that I'm pretty satisfied with. Pulling in stations from about 45 miles away without any issue.

It's plugged into a Tivo Romio with a Lifetime tivo subscription. Antenna supplements Hulu, and Netflix, which has become our primary conduit for content.

I was using a windows media center setup with media extenders for many years, but I pulled the plug on that because it seems to be a sinking ship.

Wow. Impressive antenna at quite the price. I have a Mohu Leaf 50, it does pretty well, but not perfect. Bought it refurb for less than $40.

Fortunately, OTA is the minority of our viewing.

The holdout, my Wife is quite happy with cutting cable. 

Glad this topic got started, its something I have been looking into but for us the

only option for internet is cable. We don't have FiOS or any other choice here.

I have an antenna in the attic at 30 feet AGL (HOA rules say NO outside antennas)

and it pulls in about 40 stations, but only a dozen of those are worth watching. Lots

of shopping and other stuff of no interest to us. But I can get ABC, NBC, CBS, and

FOX plus a 6 or 8 others like Antenna TV and a couple PBS channels.

ABC from Philly about 40 air miles away is on and off for some reason. The signal

will be close to 100% then a few hours later is completely gone, haven't figured out

why yet.

We have a TiVo with lifetime subscription which I noticed Sling TV does not support,

so that's negative for me.

I also thought my HOA would not allow me to put up an outdoor antenna.  However after doing some research I found that the FCC has passed laws barring any jurisdiction including HOA's from such action.  There are a very few exceptions but the only one I can see that would affect a HOA would be if they have an outdoor antenna in place that you can hook up to.  That's not my case and I doubt it would be in most HOA environments.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

So those that have or are planning to cut

the cable, who is/will be your ISP ?

As I said I am more or less stuck with Comcast and Verizon

refuses to build out their FiOS network any further in NJ.

So I don't see a viable alternative for me. Seems I will

at the least have to stick with Comcast for internet.

I'm signed up to get Google Fiber for free after a $250 install fee they give 5M free. My buddy has it and says he can stream on 2 TVs, two phones, two tablets, email on two PC's, and has security cams. He gets 1ms latency.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"I'm signed up to get Google Fiber for free... "

Nice but not available everywhere.

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

Ting is also building out their fiber network, but apparently not

any faster than Google is. If you are interested in bringing fiber

to your town you can sign up here.

https://ting.com/internet1/townvote

Verizon has no intention of covering the rest of my state, they've

got 55% of NJ piped for fiber and that is the high density, higher

average income areas where they can make more money per mile even

though they promised the state to bring fiber to the entire state

in exchange for milking residents for $13B over the past 10 years

to pay for it in advance.

So Comcast has no competition and they take advantage of that in

their pricing and services.

I guess I didn't technically "cut the cable"... because I still get internet via cable.
My ISP is a local telephone CoOp which only deployed DOCSIS 3 recently. It was an incredible relief for me to go from 6x1mbps DSL to 100x20mbps cable.
Fortunately, they do not require you to have cable TV in order to get the cable modem service.

I'm pretty happy with my Mohu outdoor antenna... I didn't get nearly the number of channels they suggested I should get on their website, but realistically I got everything I would care about. I SHOULD be able to get channels from 2-3 different cities... but they would be mostly duplicates so. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS (and about 3-4 substations for each of those channels)... for a total of about 16 channels.
The amp that came with the Mohu looks anemic... I have often wondered if I would get additional stations if I upgraded to a better amp.

If you need a DVR, the tivo roamio OTA with the included lifetime subscription looks like a pretty good deal.
Unfortunately, since the rovi acquisition they switched guide data a couple of weeks ago and there has been all sorts of issues. It's starting to settle down now though.

Cut the cable about a year ago.

Mohu OTA outdoor antenna

Tivo Roamio DVR

Tivo Mini's(2)

Sling TV (Awesome!)

Netflix

Amazon

Hulu

Very happy with this setup.

I love my tivo... What are you running SlingTV on? Tivo doesn't have a sling app does it?

I love my tivo... What are you running SlingTV on? Tivo doesn't have a sling app does it?

Tivo adding a Sling App is my number 1 wish.  I believe there is bad blood between Tivo and the company that owns Sling however, and i doubt it will ever happen.  I have the Tivo on HDMI 1 and my ROKU(with Sling) on HDMI 2.  I have to manually switch between the two. 

I guess I didn't technically "cut the cable"... because I still get internet via cable.

My ISP is a local telephone CoOp which only deployed DOCSIS 3 recently. It was an incredible relief for me to go from 6x1mbps DSL to 100x20mbps cable.

Fortunately, they do not require you to have cable TV in order to get the cable modem service.

I'm pretty happy with my Mohu outdoor antenna... I didn't get nearly the number of channels they suggested I should get on their website, but realistically I got everything I would care about. I SHOULD be able to get channels from 2-3 different cities... but they would be mostly duplicates so. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS (and about 3-4 substations for each of those channels)... for a total of about 16 channels.

The amp that came with the Mohu looks anemic... I have often wondered if I would get additional stations if I upgraded to a better amp.

If you need a DVR, the tivo roamio OTA with the included lifetime subscription looks like a pretty good deal.

Unfortunately, since the rovi acquisition they switched guide data a couple of weeks ago and there has been all sorts of issues. It's starting to settle down now though.

Have you looked at PlayOn? It has a variable past, but is reportedly improved. We use the CloudDVR function on Vue for most of what we need.

Have you looked at PlayOn? It has a variable past, but is reportedly improved. We use the CloudDVR function on Vue for most of what we need.

I remember using PlayOn years ago for something... but I don't think they had the ability to record streaming media back then.

I don't remember what device it was on, or what the reason was, but I remember having it setup and the interface was pretty clunky.

It seems like it allowed me to stream some networks I couldn't access on a particular device, but I don't remember all the details.

Edit:

I remember now... it allowed me to get hulu on the xbox 360 via DLNA before they started releasing all the streaming apps.

I remember using PlayOn years ago for something... but I don't think they had the ability to record streaming media back then.

I don't remember what device it was on, or what the reason was, but I remember having it setup and the interface was pretty clunky.

It seems like it allowed me to stream some networks I couldn't access on a particular device, but I don't remember all the details.

Edit:

I remember now... it allowed me to get hulu on the xbox 360 via DLNA before they started releasing all the streaming apps.

They seem to be able to record a lot now to include Netflix. When I get time maybe I'll try Plus for 30 days for $2.50.

I'll sometimes see Plus Lifetime on sale for around $40.

I came across this government site that can help you find out what broadband services are available in your area. Just passing it on for those who may not know about it.

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/

Also, look at this map where you can see the various technologies available overlaid on a map of your area.

http://www.broadbandmap.gov/technology

For me fiber ends about ~400 feet from my property, and strangely enough I live right across the street from a school which you would think they would pipe up with fiber, but no, they don't have access to fiber either. Thanks Verizon...for nothing.

I started this process as well a while back. I had Netflix, Hulu, and a few TV apps. I then signef up for USTvNow which has the basic streams of the major networks, but out of different cities. Legal by the way,it was intended for Americans abroad. I then set up the Kodi media center with PseudoTv Live, which can pull live streams (news, YouTube) and pull from other online or local content and create a channel guide as if you pulled up your channel guide on your cable. Really cool media center.

However, when I tried to cancel my cable, but keep just internet, my provider offered me the cost of my internet plus 5$ for basic cable. I couldn't pass that up.

I gave the Playstation Vue a try as recommended on this thread.  I have previously tried to cut the cable but found that I could not get some of the sports I wanted without cable (soccer and formula 1). However the Playstation Vue basic package for $39 seems to have the channels I need. So I tried the 7 day free trial. The problem I found is that it has a complicated online "DVR" and "on demand" way of viewing things in a confusing interface, that I found difficult to use. I currently have a Tivo Bolt which is pretty easy to use and my wife still gets confused.  She would not work it out on the PS4 Vue. Shame as I would switch to it if they improve the interface. Might still consider it just for the sport, and then record what I can from the over the air broadcasts, so my wife can use watch those on the Tivo along with Netflix and other streaming content. But there will be some shows that we will only be able to watch on Vue. 

I like the solutions that people are coming up with in this thread, but unless it is something simple that is watchable on a TV (rather than a computer), my wife will not use it.  I have to admit the modern Tivos with the one stop shop one passes for recorded, on demand and streamed shows is really nice, so it's hard to let that go. Also as other people have mentioned when you go to cancel they usually point out that if you cancel, (when you are getting the internet from them as well), the internet price goes up. So you may as well stay on basic for very little $s.