For those wanting to try Echo
1 1

84 posts in this topic

I am not liking the new Echo commercial where the guy is putting out a fire and asks Alexa to order flowers.  My Echo wakes every time and tells me I don't have an account with 1-800 FLOWERS.

FYI

For those of you with multiple Echo units, it looks like Amazon pushed out the update that allows the Echo unit that hears you the best to be the only one to respond.  I have three Echo units on my 2nd floor and shouted commands within earshot of all and, each time, only one responded.  Very nice.

FYI

For those of you with multiple Echo units, it looks like Amazon pushed out the update that allows the Echo unit that hears you the best to be the only one to respond.  I have three Echo units on my 2nd floor and shouted commands within earshot of all and, each time, only one responded.  Very nice.

Yep and the $49 Dots are shipping right now.  I got my tracking number yesterday.

My DOT arrived yesterday and after a couple attempts on my own

and a frustrating 30 minutes on the phone with Amazon its still

not working.

Tried removing the app and reinstalling didn't help.

Tried rebooting the phone, no good.

Problem seems to be with the app not communicating with the DOT.

I go into my Wi-Fi list and select to connect to Amazon-XXX and

it connects. Jump over into the Alexa app and in setup all I have

is a blank page that says 'Echo Dot Setup' across the top, the rest

of the screen is blank.

Tried clearing out the setup in the DOT using the procedure in the

online help but same problem. I think the DOT itself is OK, when I

go to connect from my phone the DOT says its connected by Wi-Fi and

to go in the app and continue setup. That's as far as I get cause

the app screen is blank and my only choice is to use the phones back

button to back out to the home screen in the app.

Anyone else had problems? I had to tell the Amazon Tech Support that

I had to hang up because they were getting me so frustrated I was ready

to toss this thing in the trash. They asked me what version of the Alexa

app I am using, so I tell them and ask is that the latest version?

Answer from Amazon : "I don't know."

Well what the heck did you ask for then I thought to myself. So that

should give you a sense of how the 30 minutes went and why I had to

put this all aside for a while which is exactly what I told them.

I received 3 yesterday and got all 3 setup using the Alexa app on my iPhone, I had to hold the action button for 5 seconds on the first one to get it into Wifi mode but the others were already there when I plugged them in. you could try go into the application settings page and find the Alexa app to clear cache and settings to see if that makes any difference but I think an uninstall and reinstall usually does that on most Android apps

I received 3 yesterday and got all 3 setup using the Alexa app on my iPhone, I had to hold the action button for 5 seconds on the first one to get it into Wifi mode but the others were already there when I plugged them in. you could try go into the application settings page and find the Alexa app to clear cache and settings to see if that makes any difference but I think an uninstall and reinstall usually does that on most Android apps

Yeah, I read the instructions and tried all that yesterday,

twice. Tried it all again with TS today and didn't get any

further than I did on my own yesterday. Removed and reinstalled

the app again today, rebooting the phone in between installs just

to be sure everything was cleared out.

The DOT is registered in my Amazon account, and I can get

to the point where the DOT speaks to me and says it is

connected to my phone by Wi-Fi, after that the app does

nothing, just a bank screen.

Anyone else had problems?

Both of mine were shown as registered to my account and all I had to do was to connect them to wifi.  Just hold down the action button to put it into setup mode.  For some reason had to do that twice.

Yup, as I said did that a number of times, DOT goes into setup

mode and says its connected to the phone but its the app that's

not working for me.

I going to give it another try later this evening. I removed the app

from my phone again and rebooted the phone. I'll install later and

try again. I was going to try my tablet but when I go into Google

Play it says the app is not compatible with my tablet.

Yup, as I said did that a number of times, DOT goes into setup

mode and says its connected to the phone but its the app that's

not working for me.

Hmmm.... The DOT doesn't actually connect to your phone, it connects to your WIFI network.  You can check the status of your DOT on your computer at: http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings.

Got my Echo dot 2 today.

Initial feedback:

Pairing / Install -  Minutes,  piece of cake

Internal speaker volume -  Much louder / deeper than antipated  (don't think I need the audio cable to speaker system I bought)

IRIS - Lights -  Works very quickly,  not instant, but pretty quick

Overall, I've had IRIS since 2013 and still love it, but it's kind of lost it's "cool" factor after a while.

This definitely brings that back!   So far, I definitely recommend it.

I have the Honeywell thermostat and so far,  it found it under the compatible devices,  but when I issue a command (from the list) it won't work.  More troubleshooting tonight.

FYI I think they sell them at Best Buy

My DOT arrived yesterday and after a couple attempts on my own

and a frustrating 30 minutes on the phone with Amazon its still

not working.

Tried removing the app and reinstalling didn't help.

Tried rebooting the phone, no good.

Problem seems to be with the app not communicating with the DOT.

I go into my Wi-Fi list and select to connect to Amazon-XXX and

it connects. Jump over into the Alexa app and in setup all I have

is a blank page that says 'Echo Dot Setup' across the top, the rest

of the screen is blank.

Tried clearing out the setup in the DOT using the procedure in the

online help but same problem. I think the DOT itself is OK, when I

go to connect from my phone the DOT says its connected by Wi-Fi and

to go in the app and continue setup. That's as far as I get cause

the app screen is blank and my only choice is to use the phones back

button to back out to the home screen in the app.

Anyone else had problems? I had to tell the Amazon Tech Support that

I had to hang up because they were getting me so frustrated I was ready

to toss this thing in the trash. They asked me what version of the Alexa

app I am using, so I tell them and ask is that the latest version?

Answer from Amazon : "I don't know."

Well what the heck did you ask for then I thought to myself. So that

should give you a sense of how the 30 minutes went and why I had to

put this all aside for a while which is exactly what I told them.

I had exactly the same problem.  Called support and they asked me to try with another device. Installed the Alexa app on my wife's phone and it blew right through the blank screen problem.  Pain in the ass but I got it configured on my WiFi and all is well.

Anyone have any luck with using Echo Alexa and the 12 station Oribit sprinkler or the Chamberlain Garage Door?

thanks

At this time it is only compatible with the lights. No scenes, locks, or alarm features. I hope these come soon.

I just got 3 of the V2 dots on Thursday and breezed through setup. These things are great!

Finally got mine working earlier today. Didn't have a second device to try to setup with so had to work it out on my Galaxy Note 3.

I kept losing the Wi-Fi connection to the DOT I think because my phone kept trying to restore a connection to he internet. 

I had to go in and disable all four Wi-Fi connections that I normally use (forget the network) so that only the Echo DOT remained, then it kept the connection to the DOT and I could complete setup without a hitch.

I believe your phone has to make a P2P Wi-Fi connection to the DOT to pass it the information so it can connect to your router. Its the only way since the DOT can't connect to the router without knowing the access password. Problem is my phone would not allow two connections at once, so it made the connection to the DOT and I got the message from the DOT saying it was connected but a couple seconds later the phone would drop the connection to the DOT and re-establish the connection to the router and the internet.

Seems it would be a lot simpler if they used BT to setup the DOT.

Connecting to Iris went smoothly and testing it on controlling a few lights worked great.

I also paired it with a BT speaker nearby that gives better sound for music playback. I wish that you could still use the DOT speaker for Alexa feedback and let the music play on the speaker. If that's possible I didn't see how to set it up.

It would be nice if the Alexa app had voice control so you could give a command through your phone but that won't happen because they want you to buy a echo for every room in the house.

For a web interface with your Echo go to www.alexa.amazon.com and sign in if you are not already. That's the same URL that Vettester posted. It makes it very easy to setup or change parameters.

Has anyone tried to run a scene using verbal commands thru Echo? I have not but am going to give it a try today.

I noticed you don't have to use the full or complete device name to give a device command, it must search and find the text string in the device name. So for me I have given my devices names that begin with CS1, CS2... , MS1, MS2..., or OD1, OD2, and OD3 for my three GE outdoor switches, but their full device names are OD1 Garage Fan, OD2 Shop Fan, or OD3 Basement Fan. I found I can say: "Alexa turn OFF basement fan" and the command is executed. I don't have to say 'OD3 Basement Fan'. I guess it works as long as each device name has a unique text string in it.

Has anyone tried to run a scene using verbal commands thru Echo? I have not but am going to give it a try today.

I noticed you don't have to use the full or complete device name to give a device command, it must search and find the text string in the device name. So for me I have given my devices names that begin with CS1, CS2... , MS1, MS2..., or OD1, OD2, and OD3 for my three GE outdoor switches, but their full device names are OD1 Garage Fan, OD2 Shop Fan, or OD3 Basement Fan. I found I can say: "Alexa turn OFF basement fan" and the command is executed. I don't have to say 'OD3 Basement Fan'. I guess it works as long as each device name has a unique text string in it.

I set up groups using common names in the alexa app to simplify things.  You can have a single device in a group.  I did not want to change the naming convention that I use for Iris but did not want to use those names for alexa because they were to long.  For example in Iris all of my fans are named Fan Switch then the room that they are in.  So in the alexa app I just made a group named "living room fan" and put the Iris device "Fan Switch Living Room" in the group.  To turn it on, I just say "Alexa turn on the living room fan" and it happens instantly.  

FYI

Interesting that it has worked that way for you. Were all your devices Echo's? My new Dots are not playing with my original Echo so nicely. If I stand where the Echo and a Dot can hear me, they both respond. I even had both of them playing the same Pandora channel, but with different songs!

It would be nice if the Alexa app had voice control so you could give a command through your phone but that won't happen because they want you to buy a echo for every room in the house.

It appears you're on Android.  This app will give you voice control of Echo from your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avsintegration.android

It appears you're on Android.  This app will give you voice control of Echo from your phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avsintegration.android

Interesting. I'll have a look. Does it work only over a local Wi-Fi connection or will it work when you are away from home? I think I would actually prefer that it only work locally, or at least have the ability to select local connectivity. Thanks.