For those wanting to try Echo
1 1

84 posts in this topic

Interesting that it has worked that way for you. Were all your devices Echo's? My new Dots are not playing with my original Echo so nicely. If I stand where the Echo and a Dot can hear me, they both respond. I even had both of them playing the same Pandora channel, but with different songs!

Wow - really?? I've got 4 Echo's and 2 Dots deployed overall and a 3/1 Echo-to-Dot deployment on my 2nd floor. The ESP feature worked in all tests. Are all of your devices on the same SSID?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Created a group using the Alexa web interface which was so much easier than trying to do it on the phone (hint, hint) as Otto suggested for both of the smart plugs controlling lights in the room. Now I just tell Alexa to turn off the Ham Shack Lights and the room goes dark as the floor lamp and desk lamp are turned off. :) When I walk into the shack I just say Alexa turn on ham shack lights and it happens. I am liking the DOT, too bad setup was such a PITA for me, but that's over now (hopefully).

Since adding my 2nd gen dots with my existing Echo, I have had multiple devices respond at times as well. I currently have all of them using the same wake word so we don't have to try to remember which wake word to use where.

I take that back, two devices may wake when I say the wake word but only one will play or respond now, I think when I first got them they probably hadn't gotten the ESP firmware yet since originally when I tested it two devices started playing when I asked.

I know I just got my DOT setup the other day, but I notice today that my DOT is slow to respond to commands which yesterday and on Saturday it was responding ASAP. Today I ask simple questions testing if it can here me from various locations in the room and it either does not respond at all (so maybe it does not hear me) or it takes 5 to 10 seconds to respond. Previously there was zero lag in responses. At other times the beginning of the response is cut off so as I just asked the time and Alexa responded with "5 AM" when it should have said 11:05 AM.

I've tried a short pause after using the wakeup word then asking for the time but it still clips the first part of the response.

Anyone else noticed this. Does or is there a way to reboot the DOT or is that even necessary. It would seem not since there is no local processing as far as I know which would mean any latency would be created by network connection quality/speed either on the LAN or further out on the internet.

Looking at my local network I don't see anything using excessive bandwidth that might be causing a problem. Not streaming any video or downloading a large file.

Saturday I had one Dot that wouldn't respond at all, I would say the wake word and it wouldn't light up even pushing the action button did nothing so I unplugged it for a minute and plugged it back in. After the reboot I noticed one time that it truncated the time when I was testing it, so far that has been the only instance I have noticed.

I found a helpful use for Alexa today.  I had installed the Trackr skill which will sound a ringtone on your phone even if the phone is set to vibrate/silent. This afternoon I was working in a customers home and misplaced my phone.  My wife happened to be with me and tried calling it but I had it set to silent. Using my wife's phone I used the Lexa app to voice command Alexa to ask Trackr to ring my phone.  Within a couple of seconds my phone sounded and I found it. Not at all why I bought Alexa but nonetheless this proved to be a very useful feature.

Does or is there a way to reboot the DOT or is that even necessary. It would seem not since there is no local processing as far as I know which would mean any latency would be created by network connection quality/speed either on the LAN or further out on the internet.

A new Dot that is connected to my stereo suddenly decided to quit playing the music sent by Bluetooth from my iPhone music app. It would still speak its responses through my speakers -- but not the music. I had to delete the Dot from my account and go through set-up again. Whatever glitch it had was resolved by "re-pairing."

Wow - really?? I've got 4 Echo's and 2 Dots deployed overall and a 3/1 Echo-to-Dot deployment on my 2nd floor. The ESP feature worked in all tests. Are all of your devices on the same SSID?

Same SSID, although one probably gets the signal from my modem/router and the other from a hard-wired access point.

A new Dot that is connected to my stereo suddenly decided to quit playing the music sent by Bluetooth from my iPhone music app. It would still speak its responses through my speakers -- but not the music. I had to delete the Dot from my account and go through set-up again. Whatever glitch it had was resolved by "re-pairing."

Humm, I wonder if my problem is related to me pairing up a BT speaker with the DOT the other day. I will have to try removing the BT speaker and see if that helps. I have a few pairs of computer speakers hanging around, maybe a hard-wired speaker would be better.

Yeah, mine was working fine at first. I don't know that its the problem just thinking about what I have changed that might be a cause or contributor to the clipping of my DOTs responses. It loses the first half second so for instance. When it replies to a time request it loses the hour and only gives me the minutes. Same thing happens with other replies by DOT, the first syllable is dropped.

Removing the pairing with the BT speaker didn't change anything. I'll leave it off until I figure out what the cause is and use the internal speaker for now.

I'd exchange it.

I don't know what the problem is yet. It responds to everything I ask it to do, just drops the first part of its response. Is that the DOTs fault of a network problem, don't know yet. With the DDoS attacks that Amazon and others had directed at them the past few days it may just be a problem at the servers, and you and I may be working off different servers so you might not be seeing the problems I am.

I don't know what the problem is yet. It responds to everything I ask it to do, just drops the first part of its response. Is that the DOTs fault of a network problem, don't know yet. With the DDoS attacks that Amazon and others had directed at them the past few days it may just be a problem at the servers, and you and I may be working off different servers so you might not be seeing the problems I am.

This may help explain some of the issues.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134056/hacking/an-iot-botnet-is-partly-behind-fridays-massive-ddos-attack.html

Not sure if Iris is affected by this, but it's certainly a part of the IoT.

Run a ping test.

To ping the server(s) which might be affected would require knowing their URL or IP address.

I guess I could use a sniffer and find out but is it really worth it.

Can't just ping alexa.amazon.com

Besides, if it were me I would set my servers to ignore ping requests

to avoid attacks which might use that method.

I did ping lessor sites this evening and they respond in normal time (<100ms), though one site I tested (nist.gov) had one of four dropped packets so 25% loss.

Netflix responds 100% with an average speed of 27ms, so I think my internet connection is fine, at least the path to Netflix is good.

Just a note on the range of the Echo Dot.  I bought one for use in my detached shop.  It sits in the far corner of my shop, which is at least 85 feet & 2 exterior walls from my crappy AT&T Uverse router.   I have a Wii connected via wifi in that same corner, but other devices are sketchy that far from the router.  The Dot connected and works great, even streaming iHeart and Tune-in.

I just returned home after a one-day business trip. Upon returning today, Echo control over my Iris devices (lights, thermostat). I'm getting "Sorry. The device or group is not responding. Before leaving yesterday, I muted all of my Echo units - but I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk