Upgraded to new hub and now I have no alarm system
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Like many of you I upgraded to the new hub with now a loss of my alarm system. I have a remote cabin so no internet. That was ok with me.

First generation system worked great.. After the Verizon cell thumb drive was added I could monitor it as well.

The new hub now nothing will work. Tech support put me through a couple months of try this/try that. Replaced hub twice and keypad. Works great with internet but not at the cabin anymore.

Just this week tech support told me the system HAS to HAVE internet connection to work. No more working offline. That is in the future but not untill the next generation upgrade which may be years away.

With the new hub any loss of power or internet will make the alarm useless where before it would always be there for me.

So I have all the parts to my alarm that are useless.

Does anyone know of a replacement hub that will run this equipment?

Thanks in advance for ANY help.

I'd suggest looking into a router with cellular backup option and getting a cellular modem for that router if you can get service at a reasonable price.  That way the hub will see that it is connected via broadband and should function, however you are correct if the cellular service goes down the alarm will not function until they get offline processing working.  The Smart Things hub may keep some rules working while offline but I understand it is very limited.  And if the power goes out any alarm system will be down once its backup battery dies.  I'm sure some of those who have gone with Smart Things recently will be able to give more information about what will still work without internet connection.

With the new hub any loss of power or internet will make the alarm useless where before it would always be there for me.

I don't know that I would trust the word of a phone support tech. I've heard they often do not have much more info than we do about what is coming up.

If you follow threads on these forums, you'll probably find that incorrect info is OFTEN given out via phone support.

With that said, we still have no guarantee that local processing will be coming soon. "Word on the street" is that they are working on it and its expected to happen soon... but there has been no official announcement so who really knows?

If you are relying on that I would seriously consider a full return of all your items and find a different solution for that alarm system.

There is a blanket return authorization for all iris V1 products... you should not have to explain your situation but I would make it known that the primary reason for your return is that V1 did not require internet and V2 does... so it's useless to you now.

I remember seeing a post a long time ago where a phone support person told someone that V1 would not be cut off until there was a web interface and full parity. Obviously they didn't know what they were talking about either.
I think it's nothing more than watercooler talk at their office. Someone says something based on speculation, and its taken as gospel by some gullible first tier support person... From what I've heard they rarely get any news ahead of us.

I remember seeing a post a long time ago where a phone support person told someone that V1 would not be cut off until there was a web interface and full parity. Obviously they didn't know what they were talking about either.

I think it's nothing more than watercooler talk at their office. Someone says something based on speculation, and its taken as gospel by some gullible first tier support person... From what I've heard they rarely get any news ahead of us.

Yes, put more fuel on the fire!! Thanks!  :ph34r:

I'm definitely not holding my breath. The last two or three app updates, under "What's new" said only "Bug fixes and performance enhancements".  They had been introducing some "new" features* every month, but no longer. Maybe the development team is doing some backing and filling, but  this is really disappointing. No sign of any energy monitor support.

*Meaning features that V1 had.

I'm definitely not holding my breath. The last two or three app updates, under "What's new" said only "Bug fixes and performance enhancements".  They had been introducing some "new" features* every month, but no longer. Maybe the development team is doing some backing and filling, but  this is really disappointing. No sign of any energy monitor support.

*Meaning features that V1 had.

I think this could mean one of three things:

1. Nothing new to add really, product wise.

2. They have a large update in the works they are testing. Which is unlikely, as we know they don't test anything, they just release it into the wild first, as it's not like it's a security system or anything.

3. The party is over, and things are winding down? Look at the store displays, look at the reviews, we all know the way Iris has been run. I have some concerns about this program being around long term. I hope I'm wrong, As I like my system, even if some added parity items would make it much better.

They are still working to release new functionality and devices.  I know it's not as fast as we would like but they are still hard at it.  

Maybe they should work hard to provide the same options we had in V1, then work on the new stuff.  Like say, supporting the energy monitor, and providing the same functionality we had with locks, GDO and the thermostat.

They are still working to release new functionality and devices.  I know it's not as fast as we would like but they are still hard at it.  

Most of these threads, discussions and complaints would not be made if Iris would simply put out a roadmap. Users can be patient people if they get some indication of what's coming in the future.  Iris can even put all the caveats they want on the road map, but at least give us a hint of what's coming or at least that there's someone there behind the curtain!  There are many people with thousands of dollars invested in these Iris systems and it's not fair to give them some info to let them know whether or not they should hang in there or abandon to another system.