No local processing so I returned my Iris alarm
2 2

13 posts in this topic

It really went smoother than I thought.Told Iris tech support that I have no local processing because of the upgrade. He said Lowes has a blanket RMA.

Box  and baggied up everything with item numbers and took the alarm system to customer returns. They looked up the items and costs an issued a store credit no problem.

Was happy to leave it there.

Now on to my next system.

After a lot of searching I decided on the Simplisafe system. Nowhere near the add ons like IRIS but...

Is a local processing system that comes with cell service monitoring as a add on. Which means if the power goes out nothing changes.

Also I am very interested in the range capability of the sensors. With IRIS the range is very limited. With Simplisafe the range is up to 400 feet optimum. I have a barn that is 100 feet from the cabin and am looking forward to having monitoring on it as well.

After a lot of searching I decided on the Simplisafe system. Nowhere near the add ons like IRIS but... and am looking forward to having monitoring on it as well.

Oddly enough the monitoring with Simplisafe is why I chose Iris in the begining. I didn't want professional monitoring. I even called Simpliesafe and not being able to opt out of monitoring, or them being able to guarantee that they would NOT dispatch the police when the alarm was triggered was the deal breaker for me. In many cities this means you need a permit, and will be billed after so many false alarms.

I don't want professional monitoring with Iris either.... Which is why I'm very much glad it's an option. Now if they actually do something about local processing, and the list of other missing parity items....

Dont understand the reasoning?

The Simplisafe comes as local processing.  You have to call to have monitoring added after the system is up and functional. you have the option to upgrade to monitoring.

Not sure yet as I wasnt interested in monitoring yet but I think there are several options to monitoring as well.

The Simplisafe system is one of the very few offered with no mandatory monitoring.

The Simplisafe system is one of the very few offered with no mandatory monitoring.

If you go completely offline/local though you have no remote ability to see whats going on though. So no smart phone app, no alerts if the alarm goes off, etc. I don't want the professional monitoring, but I dont want to be entirely in the dark about whats going on at home.

It was just my take on it.

Dont understand the reasoning?

The Simplisafe comes as local processing.  You have to call to have monitoring added after the system is up and functional. you have the option to upgrade to monitoring.

Not sure yet as I wasnt interested in monitoring yet but I think there are several options to monitoring as well.

simplisafe.com

Hmmm.... Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where SimplySafe mentions anything about local processing.  It looks like it's a cell based system that does have mandatory monitoring at a cost of $14.99 month.  It does not offer anything in the home automation space.  In my opinion the overall functionality does not even come close to what Iris has to offer.

It does not offer anything in the home automation space.  In my opinion the overall functionality does not even come close to what Iris has to offer.

I was thinking the same....

To the OP - maybe too late now, but Honeywell/DSC both have some good options for free monitoring, cheap wireless sensors you can find all over E-Bay, and paid automation capabilities (Honeywell).  Maybe take a look into this, and consider this option within your Simplisafe 60-day free trial.

Check out Honeywell VAM and Envisalink (for free cell phone/desktop access).

I have a couple of installations of Simplisafe and it is far and away a better monitored security system. Simple app for checking status, arm/disarm but that is all. No automation. It has its place, just not at my home. Works great at our church though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm lets see what the review says

"SimpliSafe is just like the name implies: simple. The customer can focus on home security and not all the fine print. The company makes it easy for people to install by shipping all equipment pre-programmed and ready to plug and play, meaning once you connect the pieces and plug them in, they are ready to work. With no contract, you can flexibly opt in for monthly professional monitoring at a low cost. However, if you don’t pay for a monthly monitoring package your system will act as a local system only; meaning, if the siren goes off it merely “scares” the intruder away but does not contact authorities, monitoring professionals or you. SimpliSafe’s a no pressure company that leaves the decisions up to the customer."

For me with no internet available with IRIs what does my new upgrade do for me..... Its was death to the system. Return it or trash it. no other option

Yes Simplisafe is limited in options but thats ok. I wouldnt  use many of these anyway. Someday if internet becomes available to rural areas at a decent price I might look into another system.

\

And thanks for the info on Honeywell. I will look them up.