Iris Web UI Preview
5 5

39 posts in this topic

All well and good that they replied.  BUT that was an hour after this was posted and two days after the problem started.  Why couldn't they just do it on their own without giving everyone grief and aggravation.

Well perhaps a good response to this thread and appreciation on coming in and answering the other will get them to do this type of thing more.   Maybe answer things like when or if I will be able to use my energy monitor again.  I have not had use of a Lowes recommended device for almost 2 months now.

Personally, I find the computer to rarely be my go-to for controlling the system.  The phone that's in my hand works fine for that.  The real benefit for a web interface will be in programming and setting up the systems. Setting up sprinklers and thermostats will be better suited for a web interface where more decisions can be made on one screen.  

Hopefully, this is a screenshot of a working prototype, not a conceptual design. 

Personally, I find the computer to rarely be my go-to for controlling the system.  The phone that's in my hand works fine for that.  The real benefit for a web interface will be in programming and setting up the systems. Setting up sprinklers and thermostats will be better suited for a web interface where more decisions can be made on one screen.  

Hopefully, this is a screenshot of a working prototype, not a conceptual design.

I think a benefit of the web interface will be in viewing and downloading video clips. Yes it can be done to your phone but you then have to move the clips to the cloud or some other storage device as you would soon run out of space on your phone.

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that a UI that can only stack six devices into 1440 pixels is very inefficient. Please offer views that let me see four or five times as many devices (~30) in a single screen. Also, allow me to adjust the number of devices per page so that I don't have to laboriously load page after slow page just to see all the devices in my home.

Also, I hope you'll provide views for rules, history, devices and other lists of objects that allow me to sort and filter these lists. The closer you come to making sorting and filtering as rich as it is in the Microsoft Excel web application, the better.

Thank you VERY much for the update and insight into the web-based "User Interface" that is on its way.  It appears to have the characteristics, capabilities, and features that will restore many of the benefits originally associated with Version 1.  I will hang on and anxiously await the availability of this product update.  I hope that you have my internet email-address and will send a notice or instructions regarding availability and steps to download/acquire support.

I am delighted and encouraged to see that the development group for "IRIS by Lowes"  is working on a P/C-based Interface which will apparently restore many of the features and capabilities of Version-1 which I lost in May of 2016 due to my migration to Version-2.  As you probably know, most folks are now running the supported and most recent release of Microsoft Windows which is Version 10.

I have 35+ years as an IBM-Retiree in the creation, support , and marketing of software and hardware that meets customer requirements and expectations.  If there is anything reasonable that I can do to assist, accelerate, or simplify this development effort, please contact me directly.  I do not expect personal compensation or recognition.  I just want a system that is reliable, and as easily managed as Iris Version-1 demonstrated.

Thank You for responding and keeping me informed.

Feel free to delete/remove the following contact Information if desired:

Joseph Blesi

Phone: (218) 342-2113

Email:  Joe_Blesi@hotmail.com

WOOPS!

Here we are now in December and yet another month has passed us by and all we have so far are 2 pretty pictures, a bunch of promise filled blog pages and still no delivery date on when Lowe's plans to make a our systems work as well as they used to.

So when is the html functionality really coming back? Q1 2017, Q2, Q3, Q4?

Any Q, I mean clue?

Unfortunately, this is what happens when people start throwing a fit for information on something that is not far enough along to warrant sharing info.
It's only a matter of time before people start complaining that its taking too long, or that we need "more info". Obviously they don't have a projected date that is firm enough to announce.
If they didn't show the early preview images, people would get upset and say they probably aren't even working on it. If they announced a time frame and didn't hit it, they would be raked over the coals. If we keep pushing, eventually management will have to set a deadline and then it will be rushed to hit that deadline, bugs and all. I know the web interface is high on the priority list for us, but it is also a major undertaking and we also have a system right now that still has a lot of glitches. I don't think we really NEED another set of moving parts to complicate things right now with all the other issues people are facing. I hope to see more info on the web interface soon, but I really hope that their primary development focus is on increasing the reliability of the system and squashing bugs first. 

Designing a new website from the ground up does take a lot of time and it is too hard to set a date and because if you rush it, it will be full of bugs and you don't want that. We have too many bugs on the devices we control at in our hands now. I have been in this business for many years in web designs and I have seen problems when you rush things...

I too want the website to work, but on the other hand, I want it to have a good design, a good flow, bug free and mostly secure.

Designing a new website from the ground up does take a lot of time and it is too hard to set a date and because if you rush it, it will be full of bugs and you don't want that. We have too many bugs on the devices we control at in our hands now. I have been in this business for many years in web designs and I have seen problems when you rush things...

I too want the website to work, but on the other hand, I want it to have a good design, a good flow, bug free and mostly secure.

If it was a simple website that would be one thing, but its the integration with our devices that makes this much more complex.

Its true that someone here could create it in a matter of days (and that has already happened), but Lowes has to go out of their way to add more polish and shine. They need EVERY device working with it flawlessly... they need to give us ALL the functionality we have through the mobile apps. And most importantly, they have to ensure that it is completely secure and there are no known security vulnerabilities.

And of course they have to jump through all the corporate hoops as they test this stuff, branding and interface decisions have to be approved by the appropriate people, etc... I'm sure its a much more complicated process than just saying "Joe, your job is the web interface, go sit in your cubicle and don't come out until you have it ready to go live."

Unfortunately, this is what happens when people start throwing a fit for information on something that is not far enough along to warrant sharing info.

It's only a matter of time before people start complaining that its taking too long, or that we need "more info". Obviously they don't have a projected date that is firm enough to announce.........

Ummmm, well, it is taking too long.  ;)

One more comment on the design of the UI, and this goes for the iOS/Android version as well, is that there is no utilization of color to make finding a card easier.  It would be great if we could go a bit beyond the monochrome (20th century) interface and at a minimum allow for pastel color backgrounds for each of the different cards to allow for more rapid scrolling to the one we want.