Iris e-mails marked by my ISP as spam
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I noticed yesterday that I did something (several times) that should have triggered an email. I checked the history and the sensor activations were there and the rule was still listed as active. Made a test rule with email notification and didn't get it either.

Decided to login to my provider's web mail and check the junk folder. There they were, in the junk mail folder. Marked them as "not spam"...tested again and again the new ones were marked as spam. Researched a bit and my provider uses a 3rd party to flag emails as spam but allows me to control what happens to those that are marked as such. I just changed my settings to deliver to inbox. (I use Outlook for a client, which has it's own junk mail filter too).

Provider is Time Warner Cable's RoadRunner.

So just an FYI/watch out: If you stop getting Iris notification emails, check your spam folder (which may be different than your email client's junk mail folder).  

Lowe's: If you are reading this, you might want to reach out to Time Warner Cable and get your emails whitelisted.

I noticed yesterday that I did something (several times) that should have triggered an email. I checked the history and the sensor activations were there and the rule was still listed as active. Made a test rule with email notification and didn't get it either.

Decided to login to my provider's web mail and check the junk folder. There they were, in the junk mail folder. Marked them as "not spam"...tested again and again the new ones were marked as spam. Researched a bit and my provider uses a 3rd party to flag emails as spam but allows me to control what happens to those that are marked as such. I just changed my settings to deliver to inbox. (I use Outlook for a client, which has it's own junk mail filter too).

Provider is Time Warner Cable's RoadRunner.

So just an FYI/watch out: If you stop getting Iris notification emails, check your spam folder (which may be different than your email client's junk mail folder).  

Lowe's: If you are reading this, you might want to reach out to Time Warner Cable and get your emails whitelisted.

I saw the same thing on my Cox email server.    I had been using Microsoft Live mail for several years for my home email and had it setup as a POP account.  I Just switched to Thunderbird and started using IMAP.    I can now see my SPAM folder on the Cox email server in the Thunderbird client and I noticed there was a email in the SPAM folder from Iris letting me know a Battery was low on a contact sensor.

We checked our delivery rates and for the last week only 0.01% of email alerts were marked as spam by users/their ISP; this is within a normal range. Is there any way you could have marked an earlier email from Iris as spam? Until this original email is marked as not-spam, future emails could go to the spam folder.

We checked our delivery rates and for the last week only 0.01% of email alerts were marked as spam by users/their ISP; this is within a normal range. Is there any way you could have marked an earlier email from Iris as spam? Until this original email is marked as not-spam, future emails could go to the spam folder.

Nope, I basically never use the webmail client. I only thought to check that because I remembered it had a junk mail folder and I didn't want to jump the "Iris is the problem" conclusion.

Here is what their website says about spam (in part):

"Our spam filter software is provided to us by a third party, and it scans each inbound message in a search for spam-like characteristics. These characteristics are defined based on previous complaints from our vendor's customers, and can be as simple as one URL. New messages that match the characteristics of previous messages that either drew complaints from the vendor's customers or were deemed spam by the software are likely to be deemed spam by the software."

Source: http://postmaster.rr.com/mail_filters

Personally I find most spam filters provide too many false positives at best.  I use my on domains for business email which I can directly control the spam filters and Google for my personal email which in my opinion has the best spam filters I've seen.  Very rarely do they mark an email as spam if it's not and likewise mark it as spam if it is.

Another bonus is that I'm never tied to an ISP for email allowing me to keep an email address forever regardless of who I choose for my ISP.

Manually marking is definitely not the only way an email gets added to a spam filter.   If your ISP has several customers receiving emails from the same address it can sometimes provide false positives for spam even though it is desired email traffic.   It is not a perfect science believe me...  false positives happen all the time.   (coming from someone who works in IT also.)  :)