Firmware updates
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I saw something happening on my hub at 19:49 ET this evening.

When I went in with the app and looked the hub firmware is

still .079 but it showed it had rebooted and reconnected just

one minute before. I haven't checked anything else but I will

tomorrow when I get a minute.

I noticed all my v2 devices got firmware updates today, all except the hub. It took a while like 5-10 minutes for each device and it would only do two at a time so for about an hour each time I went into the app I saw a banner saying it was doing firmware updates and when I clicked the arrow of the banner it showed which devices where currently updating. This is the first time I have noticed device updates since switching to the v2 hub.

Have not noticed that myself (updates in progress being reported in the app)

but nice to know its there.

I wonder if you are blocked from making any changes to those devices that are

being updated so that you can not screw something up inadvertently during the

update process. If not that might be a good thing to add.

A few questions for all...

1) How do you know/see that a device firmware has been updated?

2) I've noticed over the past few days that certain devices have been acting flakey.  Lights don't pop on when motion is detected.  Last night I noticed that several partial-mode contact sensors did not trigger the alarm when the alarm was armed.  Upon reading that there had been updates pushed out, I now figure that this may be the cause.  Has anyone else noticed erratic behavior from their devices?

2) I've noticed over the past few days that certain devices have been acting flakey.  Lights don't pop on when motion is detected.  Last night I noticed that several partial-mode contact sensors did not trigger the alarm when the alarm was armed.  Upon reading that there had been updates pushed out, I now figure that this may be the cause.  Has anyone else noticed erratic behavior from their devices?

I would say that over the past 5-7 days, I have had similar minor issues.  Lights that did not come on with contact sensor opening, smart plugs that didn't turn on with a rule.  Maybe 4-5 instances.

I wondered the same thing, seems like firmware updates would be something that would be in your history, so if you start having issues you can look and see if it was changed.  This, of coarse, still raises the issue of the system should not update anything without the end users permission.

I would say that over the past 5-7 days, I have had similar minor issues.  Lights that did not come on with contact sensor opening, smart plugs that didn't turn on with a rule.  Maybe 4-5 instances.

Lowes has got to do a better job at communicating these firmware updates and/or at least giving us a choice as to when/if to implement them.  Yesterday evening, during dinner, my alarm scene (the one that runs when all key fobs are away) ran all by itself - shutting off all lights (including the one in the dining room where I was eating) and activated all motion sensors and cameras.  Not the end of the world in that case, certainly - but what if I was out of town and some erratic behavior or false alarm occured as a result of a forced update?  Lowes has got to understand that people are not only using this system for lights and thermostats, but for real security - and you just can't willy-nilly push updates out that can potentially screw with a user's security environment without notification.  Even Apple (and I assume Android) allows you to choose to apply updates when it makes the most sense to the user which - to me - is a lot less mission-critical than the safety and security of my home.

Do better, Lowes!  Please!!

I've always been told you should never disconnect power during a firmware update. In fact, when I setup my original iris V1 hub and started pairing devices, I lost a smart plug because I allowed it to update firmware and we had a random power outage during the process.
I can't wait until they push out an update this week at the same time large parts of Southern Florida loose power from hurricane Matthew. Maybe if they have to replace hundreds of devices with botched FW updates, they will decide to change their approach.

This seems to be a control thing - Iris wants users to update asap so they don't have to support old versions of product.  They have taken the decision from the users hands and want total control to minimize support issues.  

I wondered the same thing, seems like firmware updates would be something that would be in your history, so if you start having issues you can look and see if it was changed.  This, of coarse, still raises the issue of the system should not update anything without the end users permission.

You would expect to find firmware updates in the history but they don't seem to write it there for some reason.

This seems to be a control thing - Iris wants users to update asap so they don't have to support old versions of product.  They have taken the decision from the users hands and want total control to minimize support issues.  

I understand this to some degree, as all computer OS companies are trying to get closer to forcing upgrades to keep security risks minimized and support simpler however Microsoft at least publishes the update notices each month ahead of time and most IT people at least know where to look to find that information before it happens and they release the updates on a set schedule for the most part.  If Lowe's would update a website and publish that information each month with what will be changing and when I think most of us would be satisfied.

Ideally, if they could just give you a window of time to manually apply the update before it's forced, I would be happy.
For instance, they could issue a statement that the update will begin showing up at a specific date and time, and then give you 48 hours to go into the app and apply the update at a convenient time. If the update is not applied by that time, the hub would reboot and apply the update automatically.
This gives both the consumer, and iris, a reasonable degree of control.

Ideally, if they could just give you a window of time to manually apply the update before it's forced, I would be happy.

For instance, they could issue a statement that the update will begin showing up at a specific date and time, and then give you 48 hours to go into the app and apply the update at a convenient time. If the update is not applied by that time, the hub would reboot and apply the update automatically.

This gives both the consumer, and iris, a reasonable degree of control.

I agree this would be a vast improvement, but I am still of the opinion that they should never update my equipment without my consent.  They can warn me and say your system will not work or something to that effect and that is fine.  They have plenty of avenues to make sure people are aware, they can send emails they can send notifications, they can even set up an automated phone system to let people know.

Once they have local processing fully implemented perhaps this will be a more viable option   Then they can just let you know that if you don't update you will have limited or no cloud based functions.

Once they have local processing fully implemented perhaps this will be a more viable option   Then they can just let you know that if you don't update you will have limited or no cloud based functions.

Lost connection to zwave kwikset in the update, had to call in to get it back online.

I have been informed they are still debating local processing. The website for Iris support updates has not been updated to reflect Oct.. Tier 1 does not have any new info for October, they said its mostly Iris's end system upgrades and a button to auto refresh z-wave networks rather than waiting. 

I am again met with disappointment that local processing is still partially on the table.....if what tech said is correct, its a let down.

Lost connection to zwave kwikset in the update, had to call in to get it back online.

I have been informed they are still debating local processing. The website for Iris support updates has not been updated to reflect Oct.. Tier 1 does not have any new info for October, they said its mostly Iris's end system upgrades and a button to auto refresh z-wave networks rather than waiting. 

I am again met with disappointment that local processing is still partially on the table.....if what tech said is correct, its a let down.

The tech is totally incorrect if that's what you were told. I know for a fact that local processing is very much a priority.

Section 3.6 of the Terms of Service lets you know all about Lowes position on update notifications. In a recent update you had to agree to a new Terms and Conditions in  which this was in.

While we don't like it or wish things were different the accepting of that TOS by users gives Lowes all rights to continue this practice.

Section 3.6 of the Terms of Service lets you know all about Lowes position on update notifications. In a recent update you had to agree to a new Terms and Conditions in  which this was in.

While we don't like it or wish things were different the accepting of that TOS by users gives Lowes all rights to continue this practice.

Just because they can doesn't mean they should.  I think that is the point.

I totally agree with you, but this is what we signed off on in order to use the system.

But we've been forced to sign off on some of this AFTER we have invested in the system under a different set of conditions that we had accepted. Now to say if you don't like it (the new TOS) don't agree and stop using the system is a smack in the face considering the investment we each have in hardware, and much of it is only good on Iris.

Yes, forced updates are the way of the world now, but for a HA system there needs to be more communication before ramming these updates down our throats. As someone else asked what will happen when hurricane Matthew threatens to take down power to thousands, will they suspend pushing out any updates for that week? I would hope so.

But we've been forced to sign off on some of this AFTER we have invested in the system under a different set of conditions that we had accepted. Now to say if you don't like it (the new TOS) don't agree and stop using the system is a smack in the face considering the investment we each have in hardware, and much of it is only good on Iris.

Yes, forced updates are the way of the world now, but for a HA system there needs to be more communication before ramming these updates down our throats. As someone else asked what will happen when hurricane Matthew threatens to take down power to thousands, will they suspend pushing out any updates for that week? I would hope so.

Agreed.  You'd think with the droves of customers fleeing from Iris that there would be a bit more consideration to things such as this.   Maybe it'll take a little more than just people leaving, but a huge number of returned devices because they're been bricked for them to really scratch their heads and think through this.   Especially when it could all be easily avoided.    

This is device firmware, not hub firmware.  The V2 motion detectors and V2 smart plug's firmware was updated.  Not sure if anything else.

Then can you explain the difference to me?  I went to the device tab, then to the hub, then selected firmware which gave me what I posted.

How do I find out what firmware version that I have under your definition?

Thanks