Interesting call & email from Iris
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from Iris stating they updated my hub and I need to repair my range extenders and v2 smart plugs.  I have had a few things go offline over the last week or so.  Before that my system was pretty much rock solid for months.  

The email is below:

Hello Jim,

I wanted to let you know that we did an update to your hub today on our end to complete this process at your convenience please delete the following devices from your device list and pair them back to your Iris system: 2 range extenders: Pole Barn Range Extender and Barn Range Extender. 2 v2 smart plugs: Second Floor Smartplug v2 and Barn Lights Workbench. Below you will see the re-pairing instructions. If you are needing assistance with re-pairing these devices please call our Iris Customer Support Line at 855-469-4747 from 7 am to midnight central time seven days a week.

Range extender:

Step 1: Remove the range extender from the outlet.

Step 2: Using a paperclip, press and hold the button on the front for 15 seconds. This is where the green light emits from.

Step 3: Insert the range extender back into the outlet.

Step 4: Immediately press the button on the front of the range extender 8 times, allowing 1 second between each press. The light on the front should begin to blink.

Step 5: To re-pair the device, put the hub in pairing mode by tapping the plus sign on the dashboard, and then Device.

Step 6: The hub will triple beep when pairing is complete.

v2 Smart plug:

Step 1: Remove the Smart Plug from the outlet and wait ten seconds.

Step 2: Press and hold the small white button on front of the plug. While holding the button, insert the Smart Plug back into the outlet. As soon as the LED on the front of the plug lights up, release the button.

Step 3: To repair the device, put the hub in pairing mode to by tapping on the plus sign in the app, and then “Device”.

Step 4: 
If searching by “Brand” select “Iris,” select “Smart Plug.” If searching by “Category,” select “Energy” then select “SmartPlug.”

Tip: You might want to check to make sure the green light is flashing on the hub. This means it’s in pairing mode.

Step 5: Make sure the plug is inserted into a wall outlook in the same room as the hub. The hub will triple beep once pairing is complete.

Thank you,

Iris by Lowe’s 

I've heard of a few others getting emails like that, I have only had to remove a couple of devices from my system and add them back but that was because they disconnected or weren't working correctly, strange that support would do something specifically with your hub without you first initiating a support call.

I thought the range extenders don't work on V2.

They show up as unknown devices but they definately work for Zigbee, I removed two I had becaus I thought I heard they didn't work and had a ton of devices disconnect and the instant I added the range extenders back in all the contact sensors I was having issues with worked again.

My range extenders show up as Range Extender with a graphic that looks like a horizontal rectangle with an antenna sticking out of the top.  They do work for me for extending zigbee.  I unplugged them trying to fix a zwave problem several months ago and lost all my zigbee devices that they were supporting.  They don't extend zwave at all for me.  -Jim C

For Zigbee devices,    anyone have any experience to what works better between the V1 range extender and the V2 smart plug?

My Key FOB's used to get into range before I entered through my garage, and on V2,  this most often does not happen.  I haven't changed the placement of any of my range extenders which are most near my garage (closer than the hub).  I assumed they were hand shaking to the range extender previously (not the hub) so it doesn't really make sense unless the V1 range extender wasn't working as well any more.   

I not only got the email, but they also called me for the same reason, explaining that the extenders HAD to be removed and readded to perform properly as signal repeaters (extenders). Nice of them to call.

They only show unknown device if you go into the device itself where you can get more info. My understanding is the range extenders were never designed to extend Z-wave just Zigbee

Mine show up correctly.  It says Range Extender with the lowes part number and model number.  As far as I can remember, they have shown up this way since day one of my migration to v2.  I wonder if people who have trouble with range extenders don't see them as 'Range Extender'.  -Jim C