Problems with Echo Dot

13 posts in this topic

Like others here, I ordered several of the new, lower-priced Echo Dots, and have enjoyed having more inputs to my IRIS devices. However, in several respects my Dots don't function as well as my Echo. They simply don't seem to have the "good ear" that the Echo has. I can be quite close to my Dots, and they simply don't respond. Other times, they won't recognize the IRIS device name included in a  command. When I tried to do more voice training, the Voice Training link under Settings simply took me back to the Home page rather than giving me the training page.

I'm not alone -- there are many reviews on Amazon saying that the new Dots don't compare favorably to the old Dots or the Echo in regard to hearing "the master's voice."

What has been the experience of those who bought the new ones?

I bought 3 dots. So far they have been working very well. One of them is sitting close to a TV in the kitchen and if the TV is on the DOT sometimes has difficultly hearing what I say. That I can understand and I am working on relocating it.

They respond to my IRIS device commands with no issues. I have some devices labeled, for example, Kitchen Light. I found I can say turn on Kitchen and that works. I don't even have to say the light part. The fun part. My wife and I have lamps by our chairs. I labeled them Linda and Jim. It's fun to say turn on Linda or Jim. Gets a laugh out of guests...

I have an echo, and 1st gen dot, and 4 second gen dots.  I have noticed absolutely no difference in voice recognition.  as with any voice recognition, there are times when the environment is too loud or it simply doesn't understand you but overall they are all the same in my experience.

This weekend I was vacuuming and was impressed with my 1 Echo and the 2 v2 Dots I used to turn on/off lights (with the vacuum running) as I went from room to room, I had to try a couple of times on a few occasions but it has always seemed the same with the Echo as with the Dots, sometimes they respond to a whisper on the first try and sometimes at normal volume or loud they don't respond until I try again.  Most of the time they respond well, occasionally they say they can't find the device I asked for, yet I say the same thing again and it works however this is rare most of the time they get it right.

It would be nice if they had a contextual AI so you could say Alexa turn off the light and it would turn off the last light you asked it to turn on.  Also it would be really nice to be able to say Alexa turn on the family room light and the living room light, but right now you can only tell it one thing at a time.

This weekend I was vacuuming and was impressed with my 1 Echo and the 2 v2 Dots I used to turn on/off lights (with the vacuum running) as I went from room to room, I had to try a couple of times on a few occasions but it has always seemed the same with the Echo as with the Dots, sometimes they respond to a whisper on the first try and sometimes at normal volume or loud they don't respond until I try again.  Most of the time they respond well, occasionally they say they can't find the device I asked for, yet I say the same thing again and it works however this is rare most of the time they get it right.

It would be nice if they had a contextual AI so you could say Alexa turn off the light and it would turn off the last light you asked it to turn on.  Also it would be really nice to be able to say Alexa turn on the family room light and the living room light, but right now you can only tell it one thing at a time.

I think it would be cool if you could set up each echo to know what room they are in and with what other devices... that way in the living room you could just say turn on the lights and the living room lights come on.  That is my dream...

One of mine is behaving much worse than the other, so it may just be a lemon -- especially in light of the good experience the rest of you are having.  I still can't access the voice training feature through either the iOS or Android app.

I still can't access the voice training feature through either the iOS or Android app.

I checked the training feature on my app and it also was not available.  The app just reverts to the home page when you select the training feature.  I contacted Amazon support and this is a known issue that they are working to resolve.  You should contact them also in case they have to resolve the issue on a case by case basis.  Here is the body of their response:

I'm so sorry that you're unable to use Voice Training feature on the companion application.

In response to your email, I regret to inform that this is an ongoing issue and our technical team is currently working on this. The issue has already been escalated, a trouble ticket was filed accordingly. I've added your information to the ticket correspondence and requested them to fix this on a high priority basis. Issues like these are fixed shortly after they're reported.

Here's the ticket ID for your reference: 00956XXXXX

I request you to kindly extend your patience and cooperation while we work on this and resolve it to your fullest satisfaction.

Apart from this, if you have any queries or concerns, or need any assistance, please feel free to reach out to us. We're happy to help!

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

The Dots are more responsive now. Voice training helped, as did changing the wake word from Echo to Amazon. The two syllable name seemed harder for the mike to hear and differentiate over ambient noise.