Forum outage
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Problems began late yesterday afternoon. For a few hours the site was on and offline.  After the last outage I reached to the forum owner HP.  He responded a little later stating he had filed a trouble ticket.  It looks like there was either a hard drive failure or some corruption in the database.  In any event a backup from around noon Saturday was restored so all activity from the point until sometime late last night has been lost.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

This just in from HP regarding the outage:

We're very sorry for the issues. I'm afraid part of our infrastructure at Amazon Web Services has experienced technical difficulties, which we've been working diligently to resolve. Your site should be on momentarily. Unfortunately, we did have to revert from our latest service snapshots, so there may be several hours of missing posts / data -- however, everything else was retained and service should be fully restored within the next hour. 

My deepest apologies for any inconvenience and should you have further concerns, please do let us know. 

The forum outage doesn't really involve the Iris system, Lowe's probably should have hosted the forum from the beginning but didn't so it was started up independently.  Which is also why it wasn't until recently that someone from Lowe's made an official account on the forum to have a presence here.

This just in from HP regarding the outage:

We're very sorry for the issues. I'm afraid part of our infrastructure at Amazon Web Services has experienced technical difficulties, which we've been working diligently to resolve. Your site should be on momentarily. Unfortunately, we did have to revert from our latest service snapshots, so there may be several hours of missing posts / data -- however, everything else was retained and service should be fully restored within the next hour. [/size]

My deepest apologies for any inconvenience and should you have further concerns, please do let us know. [/size]

Good to know. I guess the lesson is you wouldn't want to trust AWS with mission critical data since it appears they don't have redundant backups or any other method of reconstructing corrupted data from the last incremental to the point in time that the fault occurred. For the forum not such a great loss, but if you were hosting your companies ecommerce on there then not so nice.

While i dont want to blame Lowes for the Forum outage... I would like to point out that the Iris "cloud" is also hosted by Amazon. I would assume Lowes has better backups then the forum owner's hosting company. Not trying to stir up anything, just pointing out the obvious/non-obvious situation.

I stand corrected they use Azure and not Amazon.

While i dont want to blame Lowes for the Forum outage... I would like to point out that the Iris "cloud" is also hosted by Amazon. I would assume Lowes has better backups then the forum owner's hosting company. Not trying to stir up anything, just pointing out the obvious/non-obvious situation.

Wrong, the Iris is hosted by Microsoft Azure.

The forum outage doesn't really involve the Iris system, Lowe's probably should have hosted the forum from the beginning but didn't so it was started up independently.  Which is also why it wasn't until recently that someone from Lowe's made an official account on the forum to have a presence here.

haha... that's exactly my point. I participate in forums all over the internet where people do not understand that they are "community" forums... however in most cases those forums are still hosted by the manufacturer of the product.

As this is 3rd party forum, there is no correlation between the management of the forum and the management of the iris system. However, people here still constantly want to say that the admins are employed and/or paid by Lowes. Its like they just don't get it...

It's a conspiracy I tell you. Iris hacked this forum and crashed it

But in all seriousness at least they had a more up to date back up than iris actually does

Yes... Thank goodness...