Keypad battery life
2 2

20 posts in this topic

I've read other posts regarding the keypad batteries having a short life span. Has anybody with this issue found a solution? I rarely use my keypad and the batteries only last a couple months.

I am still using my V1 keypad and had no issues with it. Batteries are lasting a

long time, a year approximately. I use a sharpie and write the month/year on

batteries when I install them so I can see what kind of mileage I am getting.

I am having battery life issues with my V2 keypads 92 of them). They are lasting longer than when I first started using them, but it's still not as long as the v1 versions.

92 keypads?  Damn you must live in this home.  We're neighbors.

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-1762-3rs4ff/tarpon-springs-tarpon-springs-fl-34688

Might not be a limit on number of keypads, but isn't there a limit

on the number of devices in a system (paired to one hub) of 256 ?

With 92 keypads I have to wonder how many other devices are in the

system. Is this an apartment complex maybe and you've installed an

Iris system in each one? If that were the case they would be individual

system and the question on number of keypads would not come up so its must

be some other configuration.

Looks to me like the 92 is a typo since he's only got one parenthesis in his sentence. I would bet he is only talking about 2 keypads.

Looking back at his post I think you're correct and makes much more sense than 92.

Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of devices in a system?

I thought I had read 256 on the Z-Wave Alliance site.

Never mind, it's 232 devices.

For those looking for more information on how Z-Wave operates than

the little bit Iris gives us, the following should be helpful.

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-indepth/understanding-z-wave-networks

Did we ever determine if there was a limit on the number of keypads allowed?

And if so what was/is that number, or is it unlimited?

I am trying to pair a third V1 keypad with my system but it doesn't seem to be getting recognized.

I did follow the reset procedure using only two batteries, didn't make a difference.

The keypads are Zigbee and there really aren't any limits to the number Zigbee devices but how many devices would overwhelm a hub is a different story.  But you could have more Zigbee devices than Zwave devices which have real limits.  At one time having almost a hundred Zwave devices on an Iris hub, I can tell you that it was getting close to overwhelming the hub, even though the real limit is 232.  Reality and theory are rarely the same.

OK, so I should be able to add this third V1 pad without problem. Or I guess I should say that my problem with adding this third pad is not due to any limitation on the number of keypads. Can't get it to pair up. Tried resetting the keypad a couple times following the instructions:

1. Remove all batteries for 30 seconds or more.

2. Install only 2 batteries.

3. Press the ON button 8 times with a 1 second pause between each button press.

4. Install remaining batteries.

5. Follow normal device add routine in the app.

Problem is I can't get it to pair up. I have the pad within 8 feet of the hub, but no go.

Just tried the pairing function on the Iris Web App and was able to get it paired OK.

I did another reset and while pressing the ON button the 8 times it beeped and flashed once that I don't remember it doing when I reset it before, so I probably didn't do something right on the previous tries.

When I had the name brand batteries (Energizer, etc), I'd get more time out of my keypad than the generic ones I've been buying on Amazon lately.  "Starlite" or whatever they're called were cheap, but man, I don't even get the low battery warning.  Just one day they're dead.  About every two months like clockwork on my two keypads.

The AA keypads last forever.  Like a year or more.

I logged in after not visiting this forum for a while specifically to ask about this problem and found this thread already sitting at the top.  

I've had two V2 keypads for almost 2 years, and after having batteries last for 10 months, and then another 10 months, both keypads' batteries died within two days of each other.  Replaced them with fresh Energizer batteries, both died a few days later.  Thought maybe I'd been sold some old batteries, tried again, same thing--died within two days.  I foolishly tried a third time, same thing.  Clearly, something is going on.  Any reason that the keypads would suddenly be going through these expensive lithium batteries so quickly?