Rules Question
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Is there a way to set a rule to function ONLY when the alarm system is in a certain state?

Example: I want my cameras to only record motion when the system is in AWAY, NIGHT, OR VACATION MODE. I don't need it recording when I am HOME and moving around the house.

If this cannot be done, how do I submit a request with @irisbylowes for consideration?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Post it under Feature Request. I think I posted something similar awhile back that would give us rules based on presence which I think would do what you want.

Thanks @scunny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have my cameras powered through smartplugs. I then have rules to turn off those smartplugs when the alarm is set to off, and to reactivate them when it is armed. Works very well, and additionally allows remote resetting of cameras when they go offline - which they occasionally do.

This is the simplest request, and probably a very common one. WHY ON EARTH does Iris refuse to allow us to schedule rules based on alarm state, or other conditions? For example, I don't want my camera recording me every time I move around the house. I only want to record movement when I'm away from home. Another example, I don't want my thermostat to follow the regular rules when I'm on vacation. (There are MANY other examples of why this is important, but I think these are most common.) I realize there are workarounds, such as buying an extra smart plug to use with each camera, but solutions such as these are UNACCEPTABLE. This is a SIMPLE FIX for Iris developers; just add an "Away" condition to the schedule options, or even better, allow a scene to include a rule within it (this way one rule could trigger a scene, which then triggers another rule.) This is not rocket science. I've only been with Iris for 7 months, but immediately I recognized this fatal flaw. Despite that, I've recommended Iris systems to 5 other households who are now paying customers. Now, as they are becoming familiar with the software, they are beginning to ask me these same questions. It should go without saying that the company is aware of this request. I figure there must be some corporate reasoning for allowing this flaw to persist. Perhaps it's a system vulnerability issue (unlikey, or at least I fail to see the link), or possibly CORPORATE PROFITS (more likely, but I still don't see how selling a few extra smart plugs for cameras would justify such a gaping hole - could it be the paid subscriptions that result from users who have filled up their camera cloud storage with useless motion videos?) Honestly, I can't figure out the logic, but I'm starting to think it is intentional and even underhanded. The developers MUST know how important this is, but they choose to ignore the request. WHY? If you can't give us this feature, the least you could offer is an explanation. And don't say not enough people have expressed interest... 

6 hours ago, NewSouthTiger said:

This is the simplest request, and probably a very common one. WHY ON EARTH does Iris refuse to allow us to schedule rules based on alarm state, or other conditions? For example, I don't want my camera recording me every time I move around the house. I only want to record movement when I'm away from home. Another example, I don't want my thermostat to follow the regular rules when I'm on vacation. (There are MANY other examples of why this is important, but I think these are most common.) I realize there are workarounds, such as buying an extra smart plug to use with each camera, but solutions such as these are UNACCEPTABLE. This is a SIMPLE FIX for Iris developers; just add an "Away" condition to the schedule options, or even better, allow a scene to include a rule within it (this way one rule could trigger a scene, which then triggers another rule.) This is not rocket science. I've only been with Iris for 7 months, but immediately I recognized this fatal flaw. Despite that, I've recommended Iris systems to 5 other households who are now paying customers. Now, as they are becoming familiar with the software, they are beginning to ask me these same questions. It should go without saying that the company is aware of this request. I figure there must be some corporate reasoning for allowing this flaw to persist. Perhaps it's a system vulnerability issue (unlikey, or at least I fail to see the link), or possibly CORPORATE PROFITS (more likely, but I still don't see how selling a few extra smart plugs for cameras would justify such a gaping hole - could it be the paid subscriptions that result from users who have filled up their camera cloud storage with useless motion videos?) Honestly, I can't figure out the logic, but I'm starting to think it is intentional and even underhanded. The developers MUST know how important this is, but they choose to ignore the request. WHY? If you can't give us this feature, the least you could offer is an explanation. And don't say not enough people have expressed interest... 

You may want to spam the Official Iris forum instead of copy/pasting your message multiple times on a community created forum.

https://community.irisbylowes.com/

No worries.  Just saw the exact same post in 3 different spots.  Plus, Iris used to have a presence on here but not so much since creating their own forum.

Welcome to both forums!  There is a lot of useful information on both.