STILL CAMERA PIC BUG REMAINS ALIVE AND WELL
1 1

72 posts in this topic

post-5053-0-79609300-1482770110_thumb.png

Just opened the app and the picture that initially came up was one from 11:20 AM this morning (lights off).  It is now 4:15 PM.  I viewed "play" and the still immediately updated to a more current (lights on) configuration.  I hope this does not mean things are going south again.

Things seem to be heading south again.  I am now only able to get the "blue screen" again.  See attached.

How do I post a picture?  I have the "bluescreen" still picture bug back and have been trying to figure out how to post the screen shot to no avail.  Can someone help please?

Thanks!  Easy when you know how!

Terminal, have you been able to figure out the refresh frequency of the still picture?  I have asked Lowes on a couple of occasions what I should expect and have not received any answer except it should be "more than several days old".  Like you my stills seem to be working correctly.

I have two cameras and when I am viewing them on the camera card I see the time stamp update every minute, but I also notice that the displayed image for each camera flashes about every 15 seconds. But I can't tell if the image is updated with a new frame grab or not because there is nothing moving in the FOV of the camera.

So in an attempt to see what the timing is on mine the only way I could see to do it was to turn on a light that is in view of the one camera and see how long it takes for the image to update and be able to see the light is on. Now I know there is a significant delay on the video which for me is about 15 to 20 seconds, but after 90 seconds the mage displayed in the app never changed even though the time stamp had updated twice.

The second camera I have no way to test at this time.

A user selectable update interval would be nice. Maybe limited to a handful of choices of say 10, 15, 30, 45, or 60 seconds. I realize shorter intervals put more load on the servers, but its far less than streaming which I could do full time now as far as I know with no restrictions under the premium plan. It might even result in a reduction of server load if users could view 10, 20, or 30 frames a minute vice 10 FPS (or faster) when streaming.

Unfortunately the time displayed on the camera cards thumbnail view of all cameras in one screen isn't a time stamp but the current time so it has nothing to do with when the still was taken.

Yes that is what I see as well, which seems like lazy programing to me.  If your going to put a time stamp on a picture it should really be the time at which the pic was taken, I have other ways to tell the time

I did a re-boot of the hub  about 8:15 AM and then force closed and re-opened the App and the still picture came back.  From previous history, the trick is will it start working correctly from this point on?  History say no!  I did send an email back to Lowes yesterday indicating the problem had come back.  At one point we seem to conclude that it could be due to an apple ios update but if the still picture is working on other user apple systems.....I don't know.

Frustrating and mystifying.

Yes that is what I see as well, which seems like lazy programing to me.  If your going to put a time stamp on a picture it should really be the time at which the pic was taken, I have other ways to tell the time

Exactly, at the top of the screen the current time is always displayed on my phone, I don't need to see the current time on their interface only the time things occurred.

So apparently all this time I was looking at frame grabs from each camera taken at one minute intervals they were just the same image with the current time overlaid.

Nice deception, thanks for that. It's like something straight out of the old MI TV episodes where they would run a 30 second loop of video to hide what they were doing.

This tape will self-destruct in 10 seconds.

I just noticed that the cameras all stopped recording as of January 2nd. I also do not have a image still on my cameras. The fixed the light dimmer switches but the cameras don't record

I just noticed that the cameras all stopped recording as of January 2nd. I also do not have a image still on my cameras. The fixed the light dimmer switches but the cameras don't record

Push the reset button on your hub for 2 seconds.

UPDATE,

I finally changed my V1 camera connection from Cat 5e to wifi since things seemed to have become stable for me regarding this problem.  Did this Saturday.  I had some issues on both Saturday and Sunday with the still picture updating.  Yesterday I did a 2 second hub reset and got a new still picture.  Things "seemed" to have stabilized to a more normal as of this morning (just checked).

Can anyone explain why the still picture display seems a bit problematic?  Sure would like to know what triggers the replacement or update picture and how often I should expect a "new" still picture when things are working as designed.

UPDATE,

I finally changed my V1 camera connection from Cat 5e to wifi since things seemed to have become stable for me regarding this problem.  Did this Saturday.  I had some issues on both Saturday and Sunday with the still picture updating.  Yesterday I did a 2 second hub reset and got a new still picture.  Things "seemed" to have stabilized to a more normal as of this morning (just checked).

Can anyone explain why the still picture display seems a bit problematic?  Sure would like to know what triggers the replacement or update picture and how often I should expect a "new" still picture when things are working as designed.

In my opinion it should update to the current status when you open the camera card.  This would allow you to see a snapshot of the current status.  Otherwise the camera card is useless.  That being said there is a bug that prevents the card from updating.  Here is what I reported in the bug section of the other forum:

If a camera is offline (missing from the wifi or lan network)  when the hub reboots (either manually or by the watchdog) the camera card will not update the snapshot for that camera until the next reboot.  In other words, the camera must be live and available on the network during the reboot for the camera card to function properly.

4 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

In my opinion it should update to the current status when you open the camera card.  This would allow you to see a snapshot of the current status.  Otherwise the camera card is useless.  That being said there is a bug that prevents the card from updating.  Here is what I reported in the bug section of the other forum:

If a camera is offline (missing from the wifi or lan network)  when the hub reboots (either manually or by the watchdog) the camera card will not update the snapshot for that camera until the next reboot.  In other words, the camera must be live and available on the network during the reboot for the camera card to function properly.

Thanks Otto,

I had missed that earlier post from you.  One follow-up question though:  Can you clarify what a "watchdog" reboot is?

12 minutes ago, ralph7up said:

Thanks Otto,

I had missed that earlier post from you.  One follow-up question though:  Can you clarify what a "watchdog" reboot is?

The watchdog is a piece of code that reboots the hub when it sees abnormalities.  

22 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

The watchdog is a piece of code that reboots the hub when it sees abnormalities.  

Thank you!  I am guessing by definition then, there is no predetermined time for such a re-boot to occur.  Is there any way that the re-boot are recorded so that the user sees when they occur?

19 minutes ago, ralph7up said:

Thank you!  I am guessing by definition then, there is no predetermined time for such a re-boot to occur.  Is there any way that the re-boot are recorded so that the user sees when they occur?

You can find that information by looking under Troubleshooting > Hub using thegillions web interface.  

Capture.PNG

Watchdog is a good thing otherwise your hub would just hang until you did a 2 sec reset. You've probably noticed a decline in having to do that since watchdog automates it.