Poking the Bear - Communication

21 posts in this topic

Just to poke the bear a little...  Here is a wonderful email I received from Smart Things today: 

"Hello,

On Tuesday 15, between 11:00 am EST and 2:00 pm EST, we will automatically update your SmartThings Hub to the latest firmware (version 0.16.7). The update is expected to take less than 10 minutes, during which time your SmartThings Hub will temporarily go offline and events scheduled for this time will not be processed.

This update improves Hub connectivity with the SmartThings platform and fixes discovery & polling issues with ZigBee, Z-Wave, and LAN devices. More information about updates to your Samsung SmartThings and SmartSense devices can be found here.

Thank you,
SmartThings Support 
"

What a glorious thing it is to know that someone will be messing with/upgrading your hub and what time to do it, and what they are hoping to address. 

I have no idea why Iris/Lowes cannot do this.  It seems pretty easy to me. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

I agree. It is lost on me as well why they can not send out such a simple notice to everyone.

I guess if you don't care it doesn't matter.

How much is that ST hub? And how many of my Iris devices can I move over to SmartThings?

I believe most or all of the V2 devices will work with Smart Things.  Many of my V1 devices are working but I had to get "custom device drivers" for some of them.  Which is actually easy, they are all over their support site. 

I have not tried running any cameras on it yet.  But really, I like the system significantly more than Iris.  Mainly because they are giving the people what they want/need and communicate if there is an issue.  The app takes a little getting used to because it is so much more versatile than Iris, but once you get the hang of it, it is easy and does more than you could ever want it to. 

And just to rub it in one more time...  Got this today: 

"Hello,

Due to an unforeseen bandwidth limitation with one of our cloud service providers, we were unable to release the SmartThings Hub update (version 0.16.7) today. Due to this limitation, we are rescheduling your SmartThings Hub update for Thursday, November 17, between 11:00 am EST and 2:00 pm EST.

The update is expected to take less than 10 minutes, during which time your SmartThings Hub will temporarily go offline and events scheduled for this time will not be processed. This update improves Hub connectivity with the SmartThings platform and fixes discovery & polling issues with ZigBee, Z-Wave, and LAN devices. More information about updates to your Samsung SmartThings and SmartSense devices can be found here.

Thank you,
SmartThings Support 

"

Seriously Iris/Lowes...  Its not that difficult.  Even if something goes wrong, just communicate, we will respect you a lot more for it. 

Smart things updated yesterday... I knew it was coming. Everything went smoothly and I lost no functionality in the system.

Iris updated yesterday... no one knew it was going to happen. Whole system goes haywire. Many can't log in. Many lose connections with devices. Basically a crap-storm. Have to learn what is going on from an unaffiliated group of people on a forum.

I think it's time to consider moving my other system to S.T. This is getting ridiculous.

I was about to post that nothing updated on my system, but before I did I decided to check again and make sure, everything was fine this morning when I got up.  I just tried to log in and I can't access the HUB as it says it is offline.  I can remotely reboot my hub, but I don't want to screw up an update if that is what is happening.  A heads up or something in the app telling me that is what is happening would be nice.

$50 off the ST hub this week, Lowe's needs to learn to communicate before doing things, yesterday was a disaster, but if we had known it was coming people would have known not to try troubleshoot their devices possibly making things worse. :unsure:

What a novel Idea.  For such a Tech Savy Organization, "Not", they don't seem to understand the importance of communications.

$50 off the ST hub this week, Lowe's needs to learn to communicate before doing things, yesterday was a disaster, but if we had known it was coming people would have known not to try troubleshoot their devices possibly making things worse. :unsure:

Where did you find the $50 off sale on ST hub?

Never mind, I see Staples and Amazon and a few others

have the sale price until December 3rd according to the

Samsung SmartThings website.

http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-home/smartthings/all-smartthings/s/_/n-10+11+hv1x9/

For only $49 I think I might give it a try.

I'd like to see something like this for Iris.

http://www.smarttiles.click/

With Abode they make the update available and you have to actively accept the update before it's installed.  To me this is a better way to handle it.  Even with communication you can't be sure that an installation won't happen at a bad time.

Where did you find the $50 off sale on ST hub?

Never mind, I see Staples and Amazon and a few others

have the sale price until December 3rd according to the

Samsung SmartThings website.

http://www.samsung.com/us/smart-home/smartthings/all-smartthings/s/_/n-10+11+hv1x9/

For only $49 I think I might give it a try.

I'd like to see something like this for Iris.

http://www.smarttiles.click/

I am planning to pickup one of the hubs as well.   I have grown tired of waiting for parity and a major lack of communication time and time again.   The items that I'd like for parity on Iris, work on Smartthings with no indication of when or IF they'll be available...  so I am planning to move over what's compatible and hopefully it'll be enough to cancel the $10/month for Iris.  It's not worth the monthly fee for what we're getting IMO.  

I am planning to pickup one of the hubs as well.   I have grown tired of waiting for parity and a major lack of communication time and time again.   The items that I'd like for parity on Iris, work on Smartthings with no indication of when or IF they'll be available...  so I am planning to move over what's compatible and hopefully it'll be enough to cancel the $10/month for Iris.  It's not worth the monthly fee for what we're getting IMO.  

I picked up a ST hub last week after the issues with Iris.  I have added a few new devices to ST and moved one switch from Iris to ST.  ST does have a better rules engine (some rules people have stated they would like to see on Iris, although aren't likely too anytime soon, are available on ST), this is because ST has a rule builder where you choose the action then the trigger and can customize things like schedule of when it should happen as well.  However users who wanted two switch from the v1 hub had to buy the v2 hub then had to remove everything from the v1 and reset it up on the v2 hub, they supposedly were told ST was developing a migration engine but no timeline to completion, I don't think they have been forced off v1 yet though.  I know many of the early adopters of Iris migrated manually but many of us used the migration wizard which worked to varying degrees and I believe Iris upgraded all systems free of charge regardless if you were paying monthly or not.  So I'm not rushing to switch just switching where needed to get features I doubt Iris will get to anytime soon, like turning on/off a lamp plugged into a smart plug when I turn on/off a GE light switch, rather than having to use a smart button to turn on both lights.  Also the ST app takes some getting used to and I'm not there yet, but so far I don't like it as much, I integrated my Ring Video Doorbell but right now all that adds to the ST system is a motion detector, there is no access to the video or audio as far as I can tell.  I don't have any cameras on it yet either so I don't know how that part of their system compares.

Yeah, there is a bit of a learning curve with the ST app if you are used to Iris'.  But, once you get the hang of it, it makes a lot of sense.  The entire execution of Smart Things seems more thought-out and appropriate for what it is.  I don't feel like I am beta testing anything.  My home runs about 50 devices so far, and I am not paying a monthly fee.  So if you think about it, in less than a year of paying for horrible service, you can buy a newer/better system, it is a no-brainer.  

What I really like is the open development nature of the system also.  There are several pretty reputable groups that are putting out software ("smart apps" and drivers) for all sorts of devices and improving the compatibility all the time.  I imagine Iris would have the same groups striving to improve their platform, but they are stuck in a rut.  

Sadly, I was so excited to get my Iris V2 hubs upgraded LAST YEAR, and just haven't really seen any appreciable forward progress.  There is no way I would have released such a flawed/incomplete system to my customer base. What were/are they thinking?

But for those with cameras on ST you don't have video storage locally do you?

Or should I ask is it possible to have video from cameras connected to ST record video

to a storage device on your LAN or to a computer? Me I would prefer to be able to save

the video to a network drive or a USB flash drive plugged into the ST hub.

But for those with cameras on ST you don't have video storage locally do you?

Or should I ask is it possible to have video from cameras connected to ST record video

to a storage device on your LAN or to a computer? Me I would prefer to be able to save

the video to a network drive or a USB flash drive plugged into the ST hub.

That would be nice but I'd like to be able to have it write to the cloud first then copied to the local storage unless the cloud isn't available then go directly to local.  That way if someone breaks in and grabs/destroys the hub and anything connected, I still have video up till that point hopefully.