Aeon Labs Energy Monitor V2 on Smartthings V2
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I was finally able to get the Aeotec V2 energy monitor working on my smartthings hub.  I had to contact ST support to get assistance.  The web API apparently has several different "sparces" depending on what region of the country you're in...  So when I'd log in, it's have my account info, but not my hub.  With the correct link to the API I was finally able to get logged in, I can see my hub and Aeon Labs energy meter.  From there I had to create a custom device handler, and publish it to my account.   From there, I was able to go into devices and point the energy meter to the custom device handler.   The ST experience feels unpolished to me...   Makes me appreciate Iris a bit more.   There is a lot more custom work that can be done to ST as we already knew, but I can also appreciate things just already having drivers and handlers on Iris.   Below is a screen shot of the energy meter on the Android app.   Pretty basic.   There are other handlers that can be used and I'm going to look into those as well!   But, I have been able to confirm that the energy meter DOES work on ST (with a bit of work.)   Wish Iris was able to pull themselves together instead of having to go with a different vendor.   

Screenshot 20161129 185517

Through a little more tweaking I was able to get the Energy Monitor to report more information.   I currently have it set to refresh every 15 seconds or so.  Iris seemed to be 60+ seconds between updates on the app.  

gallery_82_25_12540.png

I was finally able to get the Aeotec V2 energy monitor working on my smartthings hub.  I had to contact ST support to get assistance.  The web API apparently has several different "sparces" depending on what region of the country you're in...  So when I'd log in, it's have my account info, but not my hub.  With the correct link to the API I was finally able to get logged in, I can see my hub and Aeon Labs energy meter.  From there I had to create a custom device handler, and publish it to my account.   From there, I was able to go into devices and point the energy meter to the custom device handler.   The ST experience feels unpolished to me...   Makes me appreciate Iris a bit more.   There is a lot more custom work that can be done to ST as we already knew, but I can also appreciate things just already having drivers and handlers on Iris.   Below is a screen shot of the energy meter on the Android app.   Pretty basic.   There are other handlers that can be used and I'm going to look into those as well!   But, I have been able to confirm that the energy meter DOES work on ST (with a bit of work.)   Wish Iris was able to pull themselves together instead of having to go with a different vendor.   

What custom device handler did you use?  I have "Green Living : Aeon HEMv2+" on mine but haven't added the device to it yet.

It is good that it's compatible with ST's but I don't see any real value in the information that it is providing.  Using the Blueline device with Plotwatt, I see accumulated data that lets me see usage (by appliance) that calculates my electric bill to within a couple of bucks per month.

post-26-0-94125500-1480544466_thumb.png

post-26-0-83416100-1480544470_thumb.png

So far I am not impressed with the reliability on the ST hub.   As of today, the last energy data was 14 hours ago.   It had been updating every 15 seconds or so, then it changed to every couple minutes, then to 20 minutes, then hours... and now, it's been half a day.   Doesn't seem reliable at all so far.  :(  I'll try unpairing and repairing the energy meter to see if I see a difference.   If I can't get it working well, I will more than likely end up returning the ST hub.  

You say this is pretty basic but when you compare it to what Iris currently offers how does it look?

Currently Iris V2 doesn't offer anything to do with the energy monitoring. :)   The ST app I'm currently using only shows realtime data.  (which even now isn't reliably updating.)   Iris used to show cost to date for the month, energy cost and a couple other factors.  It'd be nice if they could have monthly graphing of power when they do (if) eventually have it. 

I'm fairly certain that I am going to be returning the ST hub and give up on the aeonlabs energy meter unless it comes available on Iris.   Still getting sporadic readings from it with the ST hub.   It went nearly 24 hours with no updates, then for one hour it updated four times, then nothing again for hours...    Not reliable at all, even after power cycling the meter and hub.  I'm going to research other energy monitoring companies to find a good fit for what I'm looking for. 

Look at curb energy.

That one is on my list to check out, along with Eyedro on amazon.  They have a nice demo on their website that looks pretty good.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EP774LM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=S1EOVWR02IKQ&coliid=I2G8WON4CW6INF&psc=1

Sense also sounds appealing, but I'm not paying $250 for an energy meter.   

I'm fairly certain that I am going to be returning the ST hub and give up on the aeonlabs energy meter unless it comes available on Iris.   Still getting sporadic readings from it with the ST hub.   It went nearly 24 hours with no updates, then for one hour it updated four times, then nothing again for hours...    Not reliable at all, even after power cycling the meter and hub.  I'm going to research other energy monitoring companies to find a good fit for what I'm looking for. 

You might want to check the model you have against the device handler script. I looked at the one you sent and it is only for one specific model so if it isn't that model, that might be your problem.

zw095-a

I have purchased the Eyedro whole home energy monitor to try out.  It should be arriving tomorrow and I'll install it then.   In the mean time I just need to run an ethernet cable to my breaker panel since it is not wireless but that isn't a huge deal for me.   I'll report my experience shortly after having it for a bit to test out. 

This chart shows how inconsistent the reporting has been for this meter on ST.  It does work, but as you can see it's extremely hit and miss.  Sometimes it updates every few minutes, other times it's hours, or half a day apart... 

gallery_82_25_56529.png