Aeon Labs Energy Monitor V2 on Smartthings V2
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I have purchased the Eyedro whole home energy monitor to try out.  It should be arriving tomorrow and I'll install it then.   In the mean time I just need to run an ethernet cable to my breaker panel since it is not wireless but that isn't a huge deal for me.   I'll report my experience shortly after having it for a bit to test out. 

If the monitor is accurate you should like it.  They were a partner with BlueLine for awhile and the data is good.

I have purchased the Eyedro whole home energy monitor to try out.  It should be arriving tomorrow and I'll install it then.   In the mean time I just need to run an ethernet cable to my breaker panel since it is not wireless but that isn't a huge deal for me.   I'll report my experience shortly after having it for a bit to test out. 

You can get a wireless bridge pretty cheap.  Don't know your house layout of coarse, but in mine the bridge would be the way to go.  Interested in what you think of the monitor.

Loving the Eyedro energy meter so far.   It has been reliable and has been taking consistent data.  It was very simple to install as well.  It is setup nearly identically to how the Aeon Labs meter is setup.  I will say that the Aeon labs meter was built much more solid than the Eyedro however.  The eyedro clamps feel very cheap and brittle.   The circuit board and main part of the unit also feels very light and cheap.  I hope it holds up over time, though once installed it shouldn't really get moved or disturbed much.    I haven't had any drops in the meter and it seems to be fairly accurate.  I won't know for certain until I get a full month under its belt to compare to my utility.  The reporting is also nice.  Some of the screens and widgets remind me of Iris V1 when we had energy monitoring.  The energy monitor has MUCH faster response times than Iris/ Aeon labs meter however.   That took roughly 30 seconds to update the energy usage, the eyedro updates what seems to be nearly every second!  The only downside so far is that there is not a mobile app available for it, but there is a mobile website.  I just mapped a shortcut on my phone's desktop to go directly into the page.  If you want to check it out they have a pretty cool demo page that shows the various screens you can play around in.  http://eyedro.com/myeyedro-demo/

gallery_82_25_44604.png

gallery_82_25_60812.png

Downside, the eyedro isn't completely accurate compared to my home's utility smart meter.  My utility smart meter reports daily totals, but it looks like it may round the number.  I'll have to gather more data as I'm less than a week in so far.  But, here's how they compare:

Eyedro   Utility

12/6   13.6kwh   13kwh

12/7   11.7kwh   10kwh

12/8   10.6kwh   9.6kwh

I got a ST Hub and setup my Energy monitor. It's pretty rudimentary as others have shown, but at least I can get some info from it now.  I am playing around with building graphs with the data but haven't made much headway yet.

I am able to get some graphing now.  It is not very convenient.  Basically I have to download the data to my computer in CSV format and make my own graphs.  This is the limited graph you can get on the ThingsSpeak page where you set up the data logging.

power%20graph_zpsyafahtxq.png

Supposedly you can use a site called PlottWatt and it can create all kinds of useful graphs.   The problem is when I try to set up the free residential account it says my power company is not compatible, It can compile the data from compatible power meters from certain utility companies.  I guess I need to find an area code that is and see if I can still get it to work.  I haven't had a lot of time to play with it but hopefully I can get something more useful.

I am finally getting the data I want.  It is a little more work, but I got there.  I can't get all the nice graphs so easy, but I mainly wanted my daily KWh usage and cost and that I have now.  I have to download the thingsspeak data each time and then import it into my excel sheet but it only takes a minute or so now that I have the process down. 

I have compared the last few days of data against what my power company website says my daily usage is and I am within .5KWh each day.

I am now going to try and add a couple of sensors and play with those, but from the little I am have played with ST so far, I can't see it being something. Joe average home owner wanting in his home.  It's just too complicated, I think.  Maybe when I try messing with some of the more basic items it will seem better, we will see.