Iris App Release Notes: 1.15
3 3

69 posts in this topic

And even when asked straight out they can't provide an answer.

Even though the very next post in this thread is from IrisByLowes

a couple hours later.

Yep... at the worst, a simple "unfortunately, I do not have access to that information" would have been sufficient. 

I was getting all notifications until the hub upgraded today and now they don't. Guess I have to wait for this app update what the hell am I paying for.

Hmmm.... I could be wrong but I don't think there was a hub update pushed out today.

Maybe not but my hub reset at 12:27 this afternoon.

The original question was will there be a hub update coming

to go along with the new version of the app which in the past

we have been told in the past a number of times is needed for

the new features in the app to function.

And an answer was not given when all that was needed was a yes or no.

Your hub can reboot on its on for reasons I'm not at liberty to discuss and yes there will be a firmware update with each update. The firmware update schedule is relevant to the update and the timing can vary with the other components.

Correction, there can be a dot update on the app that

could be independent of the platform or firmware.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "dot update".

Are you talking about the Amazon Echo Dot (which seems outside the scope of

this discussion) or an incremental or minor update to the app and/or hub?

I've stopped paying for my service. The notifications keep getting broken. That's one of the main things I use this for. Now it's purely Alexa actions but I can do that with other systems.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more people take this path.

It's frustrating to keep paying ~$10/M for promises.

If I'm funding a development team working out of their garage say so.

If I'm paying for a service (which by definition provides something

of value) then start living up to the claim.

I stopped paying months ago - no value.

Value is a perceived concept. I still see value in the monthly service, however I don't have all the problems everyone else has, and I have nearly 60 devices online.

Granted, I could possibly get another system that would do everything iris does without a monthly subscription, but at this point I have too many V1 devices I would have to replace.

Here are the rules I use which I believe to be impossible with the free version of iris:

- When a fob arrives my outdoor lights come on, a lamp and some accent light comes on in the livingroom, and my front door unlocks.

- When the last fob leaves, all lighting in the house goes off and my alarm sets. Doors lock if they were accidently left unlocked

- When someone enters the hallway the hallway lights come on for 30 seconds.

- When there is movement in the kitchen several lights come on. They go off after about 5 minutes of no activity

- Porch lights turn on when front door is opened

- Several lights turn off if left on for a specified amount of time

- Alerts when fobs leave and arrive

- Alert if a drawer is opened (contains a gun safe)

- Alert if door to outdoor utility room is opened. (behind house, we rarely go in there, and I don't lock it because I don't have a key)

- Alert when mailbox is opened

- If an alarm is triggered, all the lights in the house come on

- Run goodnight scene when button beside bed is pressed

There are probably some more, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

For me, given the devices I have and my alternatives, $10/month is worth it for the functionality I get.

To replace all my devices which are not compatible with smart things, it would take about 9 years of saving $10/month to pay for all the new devices.

Sure there is value in paying a monthly fee.  But until this system is stable and has some additional features the monthly fee has little appeal. I am using very basic features of the system and I know I am.  If Lowes stabilizes Iris, and adds some key features that have been promised, I will pay them monthly fees and really start to take advantage.  Its hard to put more time and commitment in a handicapped system.

I have been thinking about this lately.  Since I have added the Amazon dots I have started to consider it more.

If I did that all my contact and motion sensors along with my smart buttons would become useless.  The voice control ability would take care of a lot of what I use those devices for but I can't decide if I want to go that route.  I have just started using the dots, I currently have 4 and I really like them so after I use them awhile longer I will decide.

Here I was all excited when I logged into the new app and it sent me an email saying I'd now receive push notifications.  I now see my iPhone listed in the push notification screen as well.  I just turned on a notification rule to notify me when the garage door opens just in case it is working.