System Down?
2 2

64 posts in this topic

Keep an eye on it, it'll most likely keep going Online and then Offline. I've been watching mine ALL morning and I have Celluar backup that never kicks in. The hub never reports to me as being offline. But, my Red/Green lights keep bliking. Comes back online for a few then goes off again. They say they are working on it. But, I won't leave my house till I can trust it's back Online. So much for Celluar backup working if this is truly going offline. 

why should we ultimately have to turn to this forum in order to find out the status of Iris? 

I'm really kicking myself for going with iris at times, I've invested a lot of money and it's not doing near what it could a year ago... 

The update problem was also announced on the irisByLowes website.

Keep an eye on it, it'll most likely keep going Online and then Offline. I've been watching mine ALL morning and I have Celluar backup that never kicks in. The hub never reports to me as being offline. But, my Red/Green lights keep bliking. Comes back online for a few then goes off again. They say they are working on it. But, I won't leave my house till I can trust it's back Online. So much for Celluar backup working if this is truly going offline. 

The problem is not related to an internet loss so the Cellular Modem would not activate.

Cellular backup kicks in when you lose internet.  You haven't lost internet, the platform is unreachable.

Edit:  That Scunny is one fast typist and beat me to it.

The update problem was also announced on the irisByLowes website.

Sorry but my daily routine does not include checking their website to

find out if there will be an outage today. And going there to find out

after the fact is pretty much useless except to confirm its down and

not a problem with your individual hub or network.

I was also caught unaware. I changed out my router a couple of days ago, so I figured the problem (of no hub connectivity) was at my end. I ended up resetting the hub. Hope I didn't mess up whatever update was happening. I checked here and, at the time no one was talking about it. LOWES NEEDS TO ANNOUNCE THIS STUFF AHEAD OF TIME AND INCLUDE EMAILS, AHEAD OF TIME, TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. This is the second recent event in which there was a known outage that I was not informed about. Putting an announcement on the IRIS website is not sufficient because who checks there? ADVANCE WARNING PLEASE!!

Well, even when I unplug my ethernet cord to test for Celluar it won't kick in. So, it makes me wonder if there's not more going on in the background as well. 

During a platform update is probably not the best time to be unplugging your internet connection to see if the cellular backup is working.

Sorry but my daily routine does not include checking their website to

find out if there will be an outage today. And going there to find out

after the fact is pretty much useless except to confirm its down and

not a problem with your individual hub or network.

Agreed but my post was in response to a user complaining about why they had to get the information here and I was pointing out the official Iris website also had the same information.  My post had nothing to do with whether or not it should be your daily routine.

When I went to work this morning my system was working great and I when I got home it was still working fine.  I wouldn't have even noticed that anything had happened if it wasn't for this forum.  Update timing worked out great for me!  

Thanks Lowe's!!

You must have been born under the right star.

After a few gyrations this afternoon my system has returned to solid.  Although limited testing has been done I'm seeing an improvement in the dimmer issues we've had for a few weeks.

One problem I had was Echo was no longer responding to Iris commands.  I disabled the Iris skill, re enabled the skill and found devices. All devices repopulated, are now working and my groups survived the procedure.

I was mad enough when I came home yesterday to find none of my outside lights on (regular or holiday). I pulled up the app and the history showed the scenes/actions as having run, yet the lights were not on! I went to manually turn them on and I started getting the banner about the hub unavailable. This went on for a couple of minutes before I was able to manually control my lights.

If it was related to a planned upgrade, I'm really mad. To just do it and cause needed scenes not to run is a really bad decision by Lowes. 

If you need to upgrade your infrastructure, you failover folks to the backup and then upgrade the primary, fail folks to that and then upgrade backup. Of course that makes me worry that either: a) They have no backup; or b ) they have no idea how to run a dependable system.

I've put up with a lot of little hiccups with my Iris system, but this one had me mad when I checked here and found this wasn't a "failure".

Why dont they do this stuff in the middle of the night like everyone else???

Agree but there is always a bad time for someone somewhere.

That would be a good reason to just let people choose when they want to update.