Any Single Cup coffee makers work with a smart plug?
2 2

24 posts in this topic

My wife has been wanting a Keurig or something similar for Christmas. She is the only Coffee drinker in the house.
I was looking at the different options, and I cant seem to find one that would work properly with a smart plug.
They seem to all have momentary contact start switches, so there would be no way to leave it on so when she rolls over in the bed she could ask alexa to turn on the (smart switch for the) coffee maker.

Has anyone found a single cup coffee maker that would work this way? I don't want to take apart and hack a brand new Christmas present, so I'd rather find something that would work this way out of the box.
Basically, it would need to be configured to come on immediately when plugged in... It does not seem like there is anything on the market that could do that.

I know people have been successful doing this with regular cheap coffee pots, but she doesn't drink enough coffee for that.

I never did find a solution for a Keurig type coffee maker.  I also found that the Keurig's make a pretty weak cup.  The Keurig K-cups are also extremely expensive at almost a dollar a cup.  (Edit:  I just checked the Keurig website and saw that they are now more than a dollar each)   I finally went with the Wemo coffee maker.  I am able to roll over in bed and tell Echo to trigger the coffee.  By the time we make it into the kitchen, the coffee is ready and we can make it as strong as we like.  Couldn't be happier since we made the switch.

I never did find a solution for a Keurig type coffee maker.  I also found that the Keurig's make a pretty weak cup.  The Keurig K-cups are also extremely expensive at almost a dollar a cup.  (Edit:  I just checked the Keurig website and saw that they are now more than a dollar each)   I finally went with the Wemo coffee maker.  I am able to roll over in bed and tell Echo to trigger the coffee.  By the time we make it into the kitchen, the coffee is ready and we can make it as strong as we like.  Couldn't be happier since we made the switch.

The operative word in your statement is "WE".... I don't drink coffee, and my wife would only drink one cup in the morning (if she had time to make it).

I don't believe she likes it very strong so hopefully that won't be much of a problem. My parents have a Keurig and she loves it. There are other Keurig-like options that take generic pods which are not nearly as expensive as the Keurig, but can also take the Keurig k-cups as well. There is also a hack you can do on the Keurigs which allow you to use generic pods.

If I wanted to get creative, I could open the thing up and do something creative with a time delay pulse relay and a smart switch, but I just don't have the time or energy, and I don't want to buy her a Christmas present only to take it apart and potentially break it.
Probably a solution looking for a problem though, as these coffee makers only take a minute or two. If she starts it manually, by the time she gets her creamer and all the other crap she puts in it, it would probably be ready anyway.
Sometimes we just get carried away doing things because we can, which might actually not be worth while.

The operative word in your statement is "WE".... I don't drink coffee, and my wife would only drink one cup in the morning (if she had time to make it).

I don't believe she likes it very strong so hopefully that won't be much of a problem. My parents have a Keurig and she loves it. There are other Keurig-like options that take generic pods which are not nearly as expensive as the Keurig, but can also take the Keurig k-cups as well. There is also a hack you can do on the Keurigs which allow you to use generic pods.

All true.  Been there, did all of that.  None of which you can automate, however.

They also brought back the "My K-cup" for the Keurig 2.0.  It was phased out when they introduced the 2.0, but enough people complained that they brought it back.  It allows you to put your own coffee grounds in a k-cup filter.

I am glad I am not buying my K-cups where your are Otto. We pay a little less than $0.50 per cup, I don't know the exact price per cup as the wife orders it once a month. We usually get 4 boxes of 24 cups per box. I drink decaf and she likes an occasional coffee but mostly tea.

At BJ's or Costco they are about $0.50/cup, and Wal-Mart is about the same. AT $1/cup I would dump the Keurig too. And yes I agree it makes a weak cup of coffee. But for my one cup of decaf for the day before I head out the door at 5AM its OK. I should probably drop it and have a glass of Orange Juice instead.

I think all the fires associated with coffee makers years ago are why you can not find one that will do what you want with out a little tweaking, but as you said that doesn't make for such a nice Christmas gift.

Why not just use the timer on the Keurig? Or don't the newer one have that.

I am glad I am not buying my K-cups where your are Otto. We pay a little less than $0.50 per cup, I don't know the exact price per cup as the wife orders it once a month. We usually get 4 boxes of 24 cups per box. I drink decaf and she likes an occasional coffee but mostly tea.

At BJ's or Costco they are about $0.50/cup, and Wal-Mart is about the same. AT $1/cup I would dump the Keurig too. And yes I agree it makes a weak cup of coffee. But for my one cup of decaf for the day before I head out the door at 5AM its OK. I should probably drop it and have a glass of Orange Juice instead.

I think all the fires associated with coffee makers years ago are why you can not find one that will do what you want with out a little tweaking, but as you said that doesn't make for such a nice Christmas gift.

Why not just use the timer on the Keurig? Or don't the newer one have that.

I was quoting prices right off of the Keurig website.  I do realize that there are cheaper K cups available as well as generic K cups but even at $0.50 it's a ripoff.  I drink a lot of coffee and for $10.00 I can make about 146 cups with my Wemo/Mr. Coffee.  It is not that I am cheap, I just think K cups are a rip off.  My Keurig (which was a gift) was a version 2.0 which I had to hack to use generic cups because Keurig was trying to lock them out.  I just decided that I was tired of being ripped off by expensive weak coffee.  You could make a pot a day (or a half pot) and throw away all but your one cup, save a load of money and have a better cup of brew in the process.  And no there is no timer on a Keurig.

Now every morning when I wake up, I just tell my Echo to trigger the coffee and it is ready and hot when we walk into the kitchen.  It makes me smile.

Nope, but you only supposed to puncture the cup (load it) right before you brew it :) Same deal with Nespresso.

It doesn't make much sense to have a timer on these machines since it only takes about 3 minutes and it's ready to brew. I guess that's why they dropped it from the newer models.

It doesn't make much sense to have a timer on these machines since it only takes about 3 minutes and it's ready to brew. I guess that's why they dropped it from the newer models.

It's interesting that we'll pay $50 to automate a light switch so we don't have to take 5 seconds to walk over to it and turn it on, but we are lazy if we don't wanna wait 3 minutes on coffee... ?

IF there was a SB within 12 miles of me maybe.

Closest is 14 miles away on other side of the county.

Same here. Starbucks are known for being on every corner, but that's not the case in more rural areas.

Closest is about 20 miles in the opposite direction of my wife's commute.

Just discovered this about my Keurig enabled Mr. Coffee maker. It's auto shut off so it does not work with the WeMo plug I purchased on Prime Day. But my other coffee maker - a simple single cup coffee maker with a refillable basket would work just fine with it. Just buy one of them they cost like 15 or 20 bucks!

This is the one I have  http://amzn.to/2t0j9oM

I've had too many failures of Keurig coffee makers so I went with a Touch brand machine a year ago and it works much better, uses less electricity and gives you a cup much faster since it doesn't have to heat up an internal tank of water (it has an on-demand water heater built in). No need to automate the on cycle since it brews almost instantly and turns itself off after 15 minutes.