Fan control with alexa
2 2

41 posts in this topic

I want to start adding control for the ceiling fans in our home. Has anyone used the ceiling fan controls with alexa?
I know you can set the percentage for dimmers via alexa, can you also set the fan speed?
I'm on the fence whether to buy fan controls, or just simple switches. Typically we use our fans on low most of the time, but it would be nice to be able to control the speed...
However, MOST of the control now happens through alexa, so if the speed can't be controlled that way it may not be worth the additional cost.

I dont know this but the speeds that are passed with iris are 1-low 2-mid 3-high. I would say buy one install it and see what happens if it does work take it back. I have controls on most of my fans because my sons would be swinging by the cords.

Yes, if you use a fan control you can use Alexa to set the fan speed to low, medium or high.

Cool

So with alexa you can actually specify "set the living room ceiling fan to low" (or medium or high), and not 1,2 or 3?

What happens if you just tell it to turn on? Does it default to a specific speed or the last used speed?

Cool

So with alexa you can actually specify "set the living room ceiling fan to low" (or medium or high), and not 1,2 or 3?

What happens if you just tell it to turn on? Does it default to a specific speed or the last used speed?

I actually find percent works better. I find 'medium' doesn't work with any of my fans.

"Alexa, office fan 25 percent" (low)

"Alexa, office fan 50 percent" (medium)

"Alexa, office fan 100 percent" (high)

Cool

Alexa does not recognize numbering (1, 2 or 3) for the fan speed.  Only low, medium or high or as @seng mentioned 25, 50 or 100%.  If you just tell Alexa to turn on the fan it comes on at the speed that was used previously.

Alexa does not recognize numbering (1, 2 or 3) for the fan speed.  Only low, medium or high or as @seng mentioned 25, 50 or 100%.  If you just tell Alexa to turn on the fan it comes on at the speed that was used previously.

Perfect! That tells me everything I need to know.

Now... I just have to convince my wife that it's worth $250 to swap out all of our ceiling fan controls... ahahahaha

She has said I'm getting obsessed with home automation... In less than 2 years I've went from 0 smart home devices, to close to 60!

Last night our microwave broke down and I found myself searching for wifi enabled microwaves... It was that point that I realized how ridiculous this obsession has become. (For the record, as far as I can tell there are no good options for connected microwaves...)

What do you mean?

My fans and lights are already on separate switches if that's what you are talking about...

Yeah then you are good. When i did my fans i had to run new wires

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah then you are good. When i did my fans i had to run new wires

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, my home is a little bit older, but it was at least pre-wired for ceiling fans... I was also surprised to find that I have neutrals in all my boxes (except for one). I have a buddy that's an electrician that helped me get a neutral to that one box.

So far, I have 3 light switches which are rarely used and 5 ceiling fans which aren't on z-wave yet. I'd also like to do the bathroom ventilation fans as well (it would be nice to trigger them with motion sensors). Other than that, I've got pretty much all my switches swapped out. Its pretty nice to be able to leave the house and not worry about turning out all the lights because of the presence info from the keyfobs... or being able to press a smart button mounted beside the bed to turn off everything, set the alarm, and lock the doors.

I think I can sell my wife on at least one fan control at first. In our master bedroom she often wants to run the ceiling fan for a little while but we don't because if we sleep with it on all night she wakes up with a sore throat... and neither of us want to have to get up later and turn it off before falling asleep. That's where a time based rule would be really nice.

It would be really nice if eventually there was an update to alexa that made it location context aware... so if you have a dot in the bedroom, you don't have to specify "master bedroom lights"... it would be smart enough to know that because the dot which received the command is IN that bedroom, that location would be implied.

Can you install a smart dimmer switch instead of a smart fan switch? I'm finding much better pricing on dimmers than on fan switches, and if it works, you have a wider range of settings for your fan.

Can you install a smart dimmer switch instead of a smart fan switch? I'm finding much better pricing on dimmers than on fan switches, and if it works, you have a wider range of settings for your fan.

NO NO AND NO! You run the risk of burning out the motor, or worse - burning down your house. The dimmer switches say right on them not to use them with fans.

I actually find percent works better. I find 'medium' doesn't work with any of my fans.

"Alexa, office fan 25 percent" (low)

"Alexa, office fan 50 percent" (medium)

"Alexa, office fan 100 percent" (high)

I could never get medium to work either but the percent command works flawlessly. Thanks for sharing.

NO NO AND NO! You run the risk of burning out the motor, or worse - burning down your house. The dimmer switches say right on them not to use them with fans.

Took your advice and bought a fan switch. Interestingly, I'm finding that the Lowe's prices on many types of switches are not any higher than what they are selling for on eBay these days. It's now installed and working well. One of the great advantages of the IRIS store-front model -- thankfully they had just what I needed in stock.

I think you'll like it.  I have the fan in my bedroom on a schedule to turn off at 8 am during the week and 10 am on the weekends.  Before Echo I was using a smart button to turn it back on if I was later getting up.  it's nice to just mumble the command to turn the fan back on instead of reaching around for a smart button and getting more awakened while trying to find it.