Lowe's presence at CES 2017

21 posts in this topic

So, unless I am missing something, I don't see an exhibit for iris or lowes on the list for CES 2017... which starts in just a couple of days.
The list of exhibitors available on their website is extremely large, but does anyone know here if it is all-inclusive?
Is it possible that Lowes will have an exhibit but for some reason it isn't listed?
It's somewhat disheartening that it appears they will not have a presence at the largest consumer technology show of the year. 

I was hoping for some big announcements this year. I know they have been there in the past... one year they built an entire smart home on the show floor.
There is still a lot of potential for partnerships and integrations. If there was anything big on the horizon, it would make sense for it to be announced there.

I'm wondering if they're avoiding this year to save some face while the bugs are still being worked on in V2?  It would seem like a "smart" move to me.   I'm hoping that they are going to have some huge progresses this year and after that, they will start pushing Iris more at events such as this, and in-store.   It may be a bad move for them to market the system as-is today until it is working up to Parity with at least V1 and more features.  

I have wondered if they would eventually spin off iris into a separate business which would be managed outside of lowes.
Honestly, I think they could gain a lot more traction if they were to present themselves as a "new" company. I could also see them eventually selling out to a large electronics manufacturer that wants to get into the smarthome action in the same way samsung acquired smartthings... I think the association with a home improvement store kinda hurts their credibility as they are best known for lumber and tools and not so much tech gadgets.
Personally, I think the new iris logo would look very natural without the lowe's logo... it could have easily been designed without the lowes logo in preperation of it being stripped off in the future.
Not that there is any evidence for any of this... just wild speculation.

I haven't been to CES in a few years, but what I've heard from my friends was that Iris has had a significant presence in the previous shows. It seems odd that they would completely drop out this year.

I was going to go this year and none of the info I received has Iris listed; like you mentioned Jasco and Centralite have a presence. I actually posted something about this in another thread, indicating my concern that they may not be around for long. Seems weird that more and more people are posting pictures of displays being empty and none of the Lowe's employees I have spoken to know anything about the system other than to say they wouldn't recommend it. I hope they continue but I think the way they have certain features available only in a paid plan is going to end up killing them. People are getting tired of the bugs, lack of parity etc and to have to pay monthly for it pushes more and more people to options like ST. Time will tell but not being at CES is a big concern to me. Seems like the lack of stock and lack of CES presence are major cost saving moves that companies typically start making when the well is running dry.

While we view CES as a great opportunity to exhibit the benefits and innovations of smart homes, we made the decision to allocate our marketing budget in other areas this year.  However, senior Iris team members will be attending the show.

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Technology-Other-News/Lowe-s-presence-at-CES-2017/m-p/121#U121

I guess now we know. Good luck playing where's Waldo 

Has anyone been on the lowes.com site lately under smart home and security? The dept. page starts out with Nest items and continues with individual non Iris items and Iris is listed at the bottom of the page. I would think they would have their product front and center. Just found this odd.......

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Lack of commitment. This shows poorly to the consumer market and is typical of lowes. Was in my store yesterday and they had three home automation kiosks. And the iris kiosk was pitiful. I live in the NYC metro market so you would think they would make an effort. Poor decision or lack of funds.

As you enter my local store two of the first three endcaps are for other HA products. Go a few aisles more and there is Iris. Half the size as the others, hardly stocked.

It may be a local store thing but at this point who knows.

Doesn't sound like a local issue judging from the reports on here which would be widely distributed and from my own experience having been in 5 of the 7 local stores in the past 6 months finding the same pitiful condition of the Iris display areas at all the stores.

I almost get the feeling that it is something that they (store managers) are forced to commit space to but wish they didn't have to because of the low sales volume and many returns for nonfunctional or troublesome devices. Handling store returns doesn't end when you, the customer get your money back or make an exchange. There is more paperwork to be done by the store to send the items back up the distribution chain. That is why many returned items end up back on the shelf with the hopes that someone will buy them and it will work for them or they will be too lazy to return them and toss them aside or in the trash and write the whole Iris system off as junk.

Problem with that is Iris then gets a bad rap through word of mouth from these dissatisfied consumers which impacts sales causing the whole thing to spiral downward and eventually implode in utter failure.

It does worry me about the future of Iris, especially since it just saved my ass this morning. Alarm went off at 3:30 due to a leak in the laundry room. Hope they continue to develop the system.

Washing machine hose?

Last night on my "local news" they had a segment on the CES.  Looked awesome, and the headline was "This Year's CES is ALL about Home Automation..."  They went on to show us a bunch of neat products including a robotic security camera that drives around the house looking for issues.  

I searched the CES exhibitor list and couldn't find 'Lowes' or 'Iris by Lowes'.

Guess it's just a sideline operation for them. Something so they can say they're

'into' Home Automation, but could apparently not care less if it lives or dies.

Maybe its just because they have nothing new to present and would look outdated

if they presented the same old stuff as last year. Better to not be seen and let

everyone wonder what you're up to than to reveal you don't have a clue where the

industry is headed or what you have coming in the near future.

Besides they have more important problems to solve like parity and chasing all

the bugs and gremlins out of their code.

To be perfectly honest, Iris not being at CES doesn't bother me much at all.  When Iris participated at past shows, they showed off a bunch of stuff most of which took over a year to make it to market and some never made it at all (i.e. soil sensor).  I'd much rather see them keep their mouths shut about any vaporware they may have floating around and complete the still-ongoing V1 parity (including but not limited to a solid, usable web interface, offline processing).  I'd MUCH rather have Iris improve its communication to current users regarding upgrades, outages, and progress on the much-documented and highly-lamented bugs and lack of parity.  Unless Iris wants to showcase improvements these things, I could care less about their presence at CES...