Arlo Pro Wi-Fi Indoor or Outdoor Security Camera WORKS WITH IRIS ?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I've had my eye on these for a while. 

Exactly how do they "Work with Iris" I wonder?  If all they do is display on the Iris app, then big deal.  If I can use my Iris Premium sub to save recordings (rather than pay another fee to Netgear) then that's a good thing. If I can trigger recordings with Iris sensors or when the alarm goes off (i.e.: work just like the Iris cams (which ,IMO, suck)), then I'll be buying a few soon. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:58 PM, thegillion said:

7 days later and they are still listed as 'Works with Iris' in two locations on the web page.

So if its an error they have not taken it down yet even though it says unavailable.

ArloCamera.png

I guess it takes Corp a while to fix it. This when you're to corporate and no longer agile. That's why we are waiting 4 months for pro monitoring and get zero parity issues addressed.

Iris still only integrates with the Iris branded cameras.  The Arlo cameras don't work with Iris but are still worth getting if you want free cloud storage for motion recordings.  If you don't care about cloud storage you could go with Unifi G3 POE cameras with their free NVR software or Blue Iris.  Dahua and Hikvision are also popular cameras but would require either Blue Iris or some other NVR solution.

For the best in surveillance you want a camera system that records constantly which neither Arlo or Iris offers.  Wireless cameras are also susceptible to signal loss for various reasons, so it's always best to use wired cameras for the best reliability.  Just saying.....

I have an 8 camera hard-wired system that cost only slightly less than three Iris Wi-Fi cameras.
And the system has the capacity to add two more IP cameras for a total of 10 video inputs, all
with sound if desired.

It has a 3TB hard drive and records on all channels 24/7 and I have >10 days worth of history.
I can grab any portion of that historical video at any time and save it with time stamping overlaid
on the video.

Cameras have a 65 ft IR range at night and excellent image quality.

The desktop software or mobile app lets me view all the cameras, zoom in, instant replay, search
back through history, and so much more.

I can set fence lines and zones to alarm on and it can also activate an alarm system but haven't
worked out how to integrate it with Iris yet.

Iris video is nice, but it's not a good choice for a video surveillance system in my opinion. It doesn't
make the grade both on cost and on features. Just think how much I would have spent on 8 Iris
outdoor cameras compared to $429 which includes all the cabling for the 8 cameras and the power
supply. All I added on top of what was supplied was an old 19" LCD computer monitor for local control
at the recorder, but I can access it from anywhere on my LAN with full control.

The Arlo Q+ cameras are POE so can connect via Ethernet or WIFI, both the Arlo Q products offer 24/7 recording with a premium plan, however they record 24/7 in the cloud like Nest cams so they will use a lot of your internet bandwidth, the Q+ cameras have a micro SD slot so they can record locally but they still always record to the cloud if it is available.  I have the Arlo Q+ products in my house for the free motion cloud recording and I have Unifi G3s (POE Ethernet connection only) outside recording 24/7 locally to the NVR in the house with time stamps on the video.

That way if something happens outside in front of the cameras I have it all even if it was too far away to trigger motion recording, but if someone breaks in and steals or destroys the NVR I still have the motion recordings of them making their way to the NVR in the cloud. I have to use two separate apps depending on outside verses inside but I can access both systems remotely via those apps with secure communications and streams, the Arlo systems have 2-way auto, the Unifi systems only have a microphone so I get audio with the video in the recordings but I cannot talk through that system. I'm sure there is a way I could copy the motion clips to a cloud storage drive using the Unifi cameras since they record at the same time as the full time recording clips but I already had most of the Arlo cameras and they work great.