Hard wired smoke alarm system
5 5

12 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, calvin386 said:

First alert has one that says works with Iris but it appears to be battery powered. Click here to view

First alert has the same one in hard wired version but it doesn't say works with Iris. Click here to view

There are currently no hard wired smoke or smoke/CO detectors that work with Iris.  Halo when released will be.

I bet it won't be long since they just knocked the price down on the FA detectors to $24.99

I figure they'll wait a month of so to let the shelves clear out of the old FA detectors
then you'll see a push for the Halo detectors to come out just in time for the Spring sales.

I did a bit of hacking of my own system and i borrowed a unsupported hack from Smarterthings. https://community.smartthings.com/t/monitor-wired-smoke-detectors/1915/15

Basically, i took my existing hardwired Kidde smoke/CO system, attached two relay modules to the RED signal cable (one for CO and one for Smoke) and hooked that relay output to the input of two utilitech water sensors. If my Smoke or CO goes off, since it is a "safety" device. I get alerted. Wife has tested this several times by accident with her cooking...... haha

I have done it... to an extent.  I was able to integrate my 120V wired smoke alarm system to IRIS. This was accomplished using the BRK RM4 Smart Relay which cost about $15 from Amazon along with an old version Iris Door/Window contact sensor (about $20 at the local Lowe's).  I got the idea to use the BRK RM4 relay from other forums. Wiring that to the existing 120V wired smoke alarm system was pretty straight forward.  To get the contact change of state from the BRK RM4 relay into IRIS I took apart the door/window contact sensor, removed the magnetic reed relay and in its place soldered in two wires that were brought out of the contact sensor case.  I connected the N.O. contact from the BRK RM4 to these wires. After pairing the modified door/window sensor, I renamed it "Smoke Alarm Status" and created a rule to send me an email when it senses the closed contact.  Now, this doesn't set off the alarm at the Iris Keypad, but that doesn't matter to me as all the smoke alarms alert at the same time anyway.  But, when I'm away from home, I'll get an email that the smoke alarms are going off.  Then, I can check my cameras as needed.  

Photos attached of a few of the mods.

The photo with the intense blue light is where I put a UV cured epoxy on the wires to add stress relief to the wiring.  In the close up of the wires on the door/window sensor board, the removed reed relay is shown on the table to the left of the sensor. There is also a pic of the final electrical box mounted in my utility room.

I hope this idea helps someone else!

IrisSmoke-epoxy cure.jpg

IrisSmoke-completed.JPG

IrisSmoke-Contact Sensor Case.JPG

IrisSmoke-contact sensor mod.JPG

On 1/12/2017 at 1:31 PM, sparc said:

I bet it won't be long since they just knocked the price down on the FA detectors to $24.99

I figure they'll wait a month of so to let the shelves clear out of the old FA detectors
then you'll see a push for the Halo detectors to come out just in time for the Spring sales.

Where did you see the FAs for 24.99?

On 2/2/2018 at 3:02 AM, c379776 said:

Where did you see the FAs for 24.99?

I think that comment from sparc was from January 2017. :)

Fast forward about a year, Amazon had a price drop for FA CO/Smoke combo detectors around early December 2017...  I bought a couple for 26.99 a piece.  Looks like they're back up to about $40 each.