One motion sensor, 3 rules

9 posts in this topic

I think I may be doing something wrong. I have 1 motion sensor and 3 rules associated with it...

Rule #1 sends me a push notification when it senses motion. It is scheduled to be always active.

Rule #2 is exactly the same except it sends my wife a push notification.

Rule #3 turns on a smart switch when that same sensor sees motion. It is active from 12am to 6am.

The problem is that Iris always turns on the smart switch and ignores the schedule for Rule #3.

Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is you just created the rule and you had not let it get to 6am so that it would deactivate.  When you create it it will be active and will not go inactive until the next deactivate time rolls around unless you manually deactivate it.

OK. That makes sense I guess. Seems like a weird implementation. One would think that the time would be noted when the rule is created or the box is checked to determine whether the rule should be active at that point in time. I guess I'll find out. Thanks.

If I am creating a rule outside the time that I want it to run, I just manually uncheck the rule check box and when it is scheduled to be active it will check it again.  This way things don't run when you don't want them to, after creating a scheduled rule.  Just my $.02.

True... it took me some time to figure this out.
When you set a rule up on a schedule, it simply checks or unchecks the box beside of that rule as the active and inactive times pass.
So depending on what time you look at your list of rules, scheduled rules will have the box either checked or unchecked.

Yeah that finally dawned on me this morning when I looked and the box was unchecked. Which means it is inactive. I guess I can always stay up until 12am tonight and make sure it gets checked and becomes active. I was thinking that the check was for whether I wanted the rule to be used at all (i.e allowing the rule to be used or not).

Thanks for the help.

9 minutes ago, rclark31978 said:

Yeah that finally dawned on me this morning when I looked and the box was unchecked. Which means it is inactive. I guess I can always stay up until 12am tonight and make sure it gets checked and becomes active. I was thinking that the check was for whether I wanted the rule to be used at all (i.e allowing the rule to be used or not).

Thanks for the help.

That was the same thing I thought for a while.
It makes sense and is very logical once it finally "clicks" and you wrap your brain around what is happening.
Seems like there should be some sort of in depth tutorial for the app. Lowes has tons of little snippets that show you how to do different things, but I think it would help some people to have a full, in depth, tutorial showing how to use all the major functions.

15 minutes ago, rclark31978 said:

Thanks for the help.

That is what the check box is used for if there isn't a schedule attached, it would be nice if there was an Enable/Disable check box and an Active/Deactivated check box.  So we could disable scheduled rules without having to delete the schedule or change both times to inactive.

Yeah I actually have this setup for a siren outside. If someone walks up my driveway near the garage, the WIFI switch is hooked up to a 12V siren and it goes off. It would be nice to simply disable that rule instead of screwing with the schedule or removing the rule altogether.