V2 keypad teardown
1 1

8 posts in this topic

The piezo in the keypad is the same as the hub. (Just had the hub apart today, lol) I'm actually in the process of building a PCB that will use the 3v trigger for the piezo and control a solid state relay which will in turn control a louder audible alarm, or whatever load or device I do choose?

5 hours ago, Louis2322 said:

The piezo in the keypad is the same as the hub. (Just had the hub apart today, lol) I'm actually in the process of building a PCB that will use the 3v trigger for the piezo and control a solid state relay which will in turn control a louder audible alarm, or whatever load or device I do choose?

Nice but you have to watch out because the hub can play other sounds too. 

ARMED,ARMING,INTRUDER,LOW_BATTERY,PAIRED,SAFETY,UNPAIRED

That is a list of all the sounds. I would see about putting in little amp in there.

Too bad the Aeon Labs Doorbell can't be used with Iris to play sounds for different events.

The Aeon Labs Doorbell can hold 100 sound files and has adjustable volume from faint to
very loud (85 dB). You can select your own sound files and load them on the device for
playback. So you could load it up with your favorite movie sound clips or record your own
or use ringtones from your phone.

Nice but you have to watch out because the hub can play other sounds too. 

ARMED,ARMING,INTRUDER,LOW_BATTERY,PAIRED,SAFETY,UNPAIRED

That is a list of all the sounds. I would see about putting in little amp in there.

I saw the arming and armed sounds. While probing with a DMM all it looks like the hub is doing is pulsing the signal to the piezo to alter the sound, do I have that right? I actually haven't seen a low batt alarm from the hub, and I had a dead backup battery in the hub.

I'll also PM you. It looks like you have jumped into the source code of the hub and I had a question about that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

thegillion:

could you explain why my hack did not work.  I wanted to increase the range of the ir detection so that as I approached the keypad it would turn on.  Stock it would not turn on unless my hand was within 1 inch of the keypad.  It was easier just to push a button.  So I took the keypad apart as per video and without the front cover or keypad on the range increased to  9 inches  which was a great improvement.  So I drilled out the 2 holes in front which was a mistake.  When I lay just the keypad cover on the front, the ir detection stops working.  Remove the keypad cover it works.  Why is that?  No great loss -  everything else works and the ir detection was worthless anyway.

Hello @paracanary 

The part you drilled out was the IR filter. This also doesn't like the IR light hit the inside of the case. What I would do is use a drinking straw to re-focus the light to outside the case. This should fix the problem and give you more range.