Alexa PLEX Intigration

7 posts in this topic

Not familiar with Plex. I watched the video. But what exactly does Plex do or offer? A way to automate your own content, or a provider of content like Vudu, Prime, Sling TV etc?

I use Plex as my DVR and to push shows to my connected TV's. Once you set it up you can set season passes or just push the streaming content from providers to your TV and control it all from their app or now Alexa. I find it useful to record shows or movies just before a service takes them off the server so I can watch it later

It's also a media server that not only provides a way to view and organize your own digital media, but also provides a means for streaming your content to mobile devices over the internet so you can view it from anywhere and much much more.  It's like having your own personal Netflix.  I've digitized all of the movies I've collected over the years and got rid of the clutter and hassle of storing hundreds of dvds.  The best part is you get a ton of functionality with the basic plan for free.  I've been using it for years and it's awesome!

I use it for pushing movies that I have ripped from dvd or downloaded to our TV's, PC's and devices.  We have also converted all of the VCR videos of our kids when they were growing up to digital media and Plex organizes it and makes it all available on demand to any TV, PC or device in the house.  We can also stream it to other family members that live across the country.  Although we don't use it much, I have also given Plex access to my music library.  It is a great way to organize and stream content.