My iris grade is...
2 2

66 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Vettester said:

Contrary to what some users believe, connectivity issues is not the norm.  If you are experiencing disconnects, you have other underlying issues.

Not necessarily true. Since posting about increased stability I have had two different zwave lights switches drop a few times this week. Going to the portal will show 100% signal strength. Not sure what changed but something did. A buddy at work moved to ST and all of these random disconnects stopped. Taking it further, leaksmart firmware that Iris pushes is version 19 I believe but leaksmart gave them 34 about a year ago. A few months back I got mine updated and stability and battery life is much improved. So Iris often is the weak link in pushing new firmware to improve stability. 

1 hour ago, Wlepse said:

Not necessarily true. Since posting about increased stability I have had two different zwave lights switches drop a few times this week. Going to the portal will show 100% signal strength. Not sure what changed but something did. A buddy at work moved to ST and all of these random disconnects stopped. Taking it further, leaksmart firmware that Iris pushes is version 19 I believe but leaksmart gave them 34 about a year ago. A few months back I got mine updated and stability and battery life is much improved. So Iris often is the weak link in pushing new firmware to improve stability. 

The portal does not report signal strength for Z-Wave devices, so I'm not sure where you are getting your 100% value from. 

You are correct. I am making an assumption that since all (minus keypad) of my zigbee devices show 100% signal strength that I have a similarly robust signal strength for Z-wave. I think this is a reasonable assumption since all of my z-wave devices are AC powered so they will repeat the signal, there are additional repeaters in the home, all electrical boxes were changed to plastic to increase range and z-wave is not affected by wi-fi like Zigbee.

As for Iris pushing device drivers necessary to accomplish a desired result...what would be more desirable than your sensors staying connected and not draining you battery in a month? On the original firmware for the leakSmart sensors I had 2-3 sensors that kept dropping off. In a very short time (2-3 weeks) they lost considerable battery life compared to other sensors. Iris made their typical suggestion to add even more repeaters. Then I reached out to leakSmarts since some sensors that were dropping were between two others that weren't. That is when I found out Iris was on version 19 and they had provided version 34 months prior to me contacting them. I have since updated mine to the latest firmware and haven't had any issues since. I am not sure if Iris is even pushing the latest or not, but can't imagine what the hold up is. 

8 hours ago, Wlepse said:

I am making an assumption that since all (minus keypad) of my zigbee devices show 100% signal strength that I have a similarly robust signal strength for Z-wave. I think this is a reasonable assumption since all of my z-wave devices are AC powered so they will repeat the signal, there are additional repeaters in the home, all electrical boxes were changed to plastic to increase range and z-wave is not affected by wi-fi like Zigbee.

Assumptions are dangerous things to make.  We are talking about two totally different types of mesh networks which run on different frequencies and are affected by different types of interference, not to mention the max number of hops and range differences.  You cannot assume that just because your ZigBee network is performing well that your Z-wave network is healthy too.  The fact that you have had two different Z-wave lights switches loose connectivity multiple times in the same week tells me something is going on.

The two switches that "dropped" were two of the closest. So range is not the issue. Again, people I know that have switched have lost all of this instability. What I find even more troubling though is how frequently things drop and you don't get notified. Most notably my hose end controller, unless you look at the logs you wouldn't know that it was dropping off the network 10+ times a day. I think a lot of the issues stem from this system being so closed. As it stands now very few updates are made to device firmware to improve stability and battery life. Back in February of this year I was told Iris already had the new firmware, can anyone confirm if they ever got around to pushing this?

My system is stabIe and I honestly can't remember the last time a device disconnected for no reason.  I check my logs frequently and I there is no indication that a device is dropping.  I added a hose controller two weeks ago and haven't had any connectivity issues with it whatsoever.  

Hose Controller.png          Hose History.png

The switches and controller are using different protocols so it looks like you are having issues with both your Z-wave and zigbee networks.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:18 PM, Wlepse said:

I think what Vettsetter is trying to say is just because your experiences have been negative, that doesn't necessarily mean that this is the "norm".
I have an installation of about 75 devices and see none of these issues... My parents also have an iris system and they don't have any issues either.
I understand from "your point of view", it appears that these issues are common.... however, from "my point of view" these issues are not common. There are a lot of people on here that have perfectly solid systems, and there are a lot that experience problems, but its hard to get a gauge on percentages. 
I don't question whether these issues exist for some people... it is obvious that there have been a lot (not as many lately though) of people seeing similar problems, however it can't possibly be something low level that is broken within the iris platform because, if it was, this problem would manifest itself in every install, yet there are plenty of people who don't encounter these random disconnects. There IS some common denominator that has not been identified yet.

People keep suggesting that maybe it is some sort of interference in some areas, maybe wifi or some other wireless system, however I have a completely different theory.
Sometimes I wonder if they simply had a large batch of bad hubs or some other device that is wreaking havoc on some peoples systems... It would have to be either the hub or a device that is iris specific... something that people are not carrying over to smart things (as you stated someone made the switch to smart things and didn't have the same issues on that platform, and I've heard this a few times). Because the issue is almost always with zwave devices (and I think all these zwave stuff works in smartthings), I am highly suspicious of a problem with the zwave chipset that maybe exists in a batch of V2 hubs.

You would think lowes would have access to all the relevant data to to compare the common factors in systems which have these problems and figure out what it causing it. (maybe device in a specific range of serial numbers?)

My system is solid as well.  I had issues with the V2 hub at first.  I was on the next shelf down from my router, the same spot as my V1 hub that had no probs, and the Zxxx stuff would constantly drop off and come back.  I moved the router up two shelves and I've been very stable since.  Occasionally I get a distant device drop and come back.  By distant I mean 100 yards away and through a few walls.  I have 70 devices.  My grade is A- only because the web app is an afterthought at best, so I pay for Bluestacks and no offline functionality.

I am not claiming it is a common problem. What I am trying to say is that I still believe the fault lies in the Iris system itself. We have all seen a tremendous improvement in stability over the last year with the same hardware and with our devices and hub likely sitting in the same locations. This change happened by them updating the system and device firmware. What I contend is that there are still issues with some devices and the firmware used on the Iris platform. One that I am most familiar with is the leaksmart sensors. A few months ago the firmware Iris was pushing was 19, Wink was somewhere in the 20's and the latest from leaksmart was 34! So Iris was several iterations behind. When I upgraded my sensors to the latest I saw a huge change in performance, I no longer see these devices dropping off and battery life is significantly better. For all we know there are lots of firmware updates sitting with Iris to be approved an pushed that would help with these transient issues. Now I am not discounting that there are some things in my particular arrangement that may make me more prone to uncover the weaknesses in the system/firmware, but it is discouraging that I know Iris was sitting on that update that made a world of difference for me. So what else might they have that could help all of us?

I've heard of hardware companies with bad batches of hardware that "work around" the problems using software to avoid a recall.
For instance, I'm pretty sure apple had a bad batch of iphone batteries and they "resolved" the issue by "recalibrating" the battery meter. You will never convince me that it was a software problem all along. I would put money on the fact that those batteries had defective cells or something and apple just covered up the problem by adjusting the battery meter to compensate.
I believe zigbee and/or zwave can operate on multiple channels in the same way as wifi, I would assume the hub is supposed to attempt to identify the best channel to use. It is likely that a defective zwave chip could experience worse problems on a specific channel, and by disabling that channel via a firmware update, it could possibly make a defective system slightly more stable.
The multi-channel operation might be zigbee only, I'm really not sure (but I know I read at least one of the two has multiple channels it can work on), but even so, it could be that use of a specific zigbee channel caused interference with zwave due to the design of the product... that could explain why some of us see the problem and some don't (It depends on what channel is selected). It also seems that I read somewhere early on that the channel which is assigned happens when the system is first powered on and is never changed after that. That may not still be the case, or I might be imagining it all together...
This is really all nothing but unsubstantiated wild speculation, so take it with a grain of salt... BUT it is something I have thought about that makes sense in my mind.

B- , Missing Offline Processing and temp graphs. Disappointed with lack of Smartthings product integration, Iris team quits when they get stumped and abandon instead of repairing products once on the "certified" list. A lack of aftermarket products not approved such as a better doorbell, Remotec Z-Wave ZXT-120 IR Extender for Air Conditioners  or bluetooth speakers.  

C

- At the risk of sounding like a broken record - still no offline processing though we were told that it is "in the works".  For a system that has made strides to improve its security aspects (with professional monitoring (!!!) ), no offline processing for the alarm portion is just plain stupid, stupid, stupid...  If it truly is in the works, the release of this functionality is horrifically overdue by any metrics of any software industry.  Feels like it's only being worked on a single dev's spare time if at all at this point.

- Closed system - why does this system have to remain closed?  On one hand it supports all of IRIS's own proprietary products (ie. Alertme's V1 products) which in itself is a good justification for being a closed system, but the system also allows for certain 3rd party sensors to be part of the system though not IRIS-certified....  Why not just open the API for 3rd party devices - even if it's only for non-security items?

- Overall, my systems' stability is pretty good.  I don't get random sensor dropoffs, rules work as they should, though, from time to time a rule (or a schedule) doesn't fire off as it should.  It's rare enough I don't mind too much.

- Alexa integration is always a plus.

Just wanted to report that Cree Connected Light Bulb A19 is working with IRIS 2.0 hub.  It shows up as a light bulb and an unsupported device.  Unlike other unsupported devices, though, like the Singled A19 bulbs, I am able to control these on/off as well as dim them.  Consider these products as WORS WITH IRIS!