New TOS and Privacy Policy
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Trying to access the app this afternoon, I had an initial screen ask me to accept the updated TOS and Privacy Policy. Unlike many such notices, this one gave no hint of the changes that were made to these very long documents. Interestingly, the "new" Privacy Policy is dated as of last summer.

Has anyone figured out what is new?

I don't know how if differs from the original TOS agreement but quickly scanning it shows that there is a huge amount of language related to professional monitoring.  I suspect that is the main focus of the update.

The good news is that this means that pro monitoring is around the corner...... and if pro monitoring is around the corner, so is local processing.

I'm just pissed off because they waited to throw the mandatory approve screen at me when I came home.  Therefore locking me out of my house for 2 hours while I studied the new stuff.  For those that want a summary and don't have time to read the TOS, here is a summary:

IRIS has no responsibilities or obligations, and the customer has absolutely no legal recourse is they screw up after being careless. And if Lowes closes support for IRIS you have no legal recourse and no refunds.

The customer on the other hand is spied on, agrees to allow IRIS access to view your full Credit Report, and so many more negatives.  Nothing good in there for the customer. Oh, and in their vagueness IRIS leaves it open to have the right to look at you in your cameras.

1 minute ago, EyeRuss said:

I'm just pissed off because they waited to throw the mandatory approve screen at me when I came home.  Therefore locking me out of my house for 2 hours while I studied the new stuff.  For those that want a summary and don't have time to read the TOS, here is a summary:

IRIS has no responsibilities or obligations, and the customer has absolutely no legal recourse is they screw up after being careless. And if Lowes closes support for IRIS you have no legal recourse and no refunds.

The customer on the other hand is spied on, agrees to allow IRIS access to view your full Credit Report, and so many more negatives.  Nothing good in there for the customer. Oh, and in their vagueness IRIS leaves it open to have the right to look at you in your cameras.

They asked me what it would take to piss you off.  Did I overlook anything?

"...Therefore locking me out of my house for 2 hours while I studied the new stuff. ..."

Couldn't you use a key or punch in the code to open the lock, then enter your code in the keypad to disarm the system.

At which point you could read the TOS at your leisure in the comfort of your home.

I don't like the way they thrust the TOS on you either, just seems like you weren't locked out until you accepted the TOS.

Or am I misunderstanding something about the situation.

The bit about the cameras is why I don't use Iris cameras for security in my home. 

Section 4.7 supports what I have said with respect to the Iris smoke detectors having entertainment value only.

4.7 Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors / Battery-Powered Devices:  YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE WITH ANY LAW, CODE AND REQUIREMENTS THAT APPLY TO INSTALLATION OR SERVICE OF SMOKE OR CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS. THE INSTALLATION OF SUCH DEVICES DOES NOT NECESSARILY CONSTITUTE A FIRE ALARM SYSTEM AS MAY BE REQUIRED BY LOCAL CODE OR DESCRIBED IN NFPA 72; SUCH DEVICES REQUIRE ELECTRICITY AND BATTERIES FOR PROPER OPERATION AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REGULARLY TEST SUCH DEVICES AND REPLACE BATTERIES AND THE DEVICE AS RECOMMENDED BY DEVICE MANUFACTURER.  YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE TO CHECK AND REPLACE BATTERIES THAT ARE LOW OR DEAD.

We makes no representation that the fire alarm equipment meets local code requirements or constitutes a fire alarm system as that term is defined by any local authorities over fire alarm systems in your premises.  We recommend that you have a fire alarm system installed by a licensed alarm professional pursuant to NFPA 72 standards and your local authorities’ recommendations.

Gives me the warm and fuzzies.   Especially the part where basically they say they hold no responsibility to anything Iris does, or does not do.   It's more or less to be trusted no more than a Toy.   Glad so many of us have trusted our home's security and our safety on this platform.   The irony as far as the smoke alarms go, maybe it COULD reach code if they had given us the option of the smoke alarms supporting interlink/wired connections from the get-go.  But I forget, they instead wanted to make sure they sold as many detector's as possible by not designing them to work with each other.   To me it feels like they were designed with the idea of making more money in mind, than actual safety gains from having them interlinked.    Why sell one detector that can alert you over Iris if a single one goes off, when they could sell an entire house load instead!  

I believe they have to be hard-wired, which the Halo detectors are, but the FA (First Alert) detectors are not. So it might be possible to build a code compliant smoke/fire/CO detection system using the Halo components, but they are saying they do not certify it in that role, so without any certification or testing by a NRTL(Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory), it wouldn't quality per NFPA.

23 hours ago, EyeRuss said:

Now I've been pretty critical of Iris on this site as well, but let me play devils advocate for a moment... First the alarm can be disabled by keypads, things of that nature, heck unplugging the hub (power or internet) since there is no local processing would have gotten you back in your house. Second this is America, everyone is sue happy. Unfortunately without some lawyer putting in verbiage allowing them to look at cameras tech support could help you with your camera, heck professional monitoring service could not look in when the alarm was triggered. I'm going to venture to say they are not randomly checking camera's all the time for nudes. Third, lets be smart with placement of our cameras, they shouldn't be in places they might see things like that (And if they do, oh well, I'm not that shy anyways). The credit report, again it's probably not anything nefarious they are collecting credit card payments. All CYA stuff.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck, however it's crap you see in the fine print of all TOS anymore, because everyone sues over anything anymore. My coffee was hot, the cable man hooked a cord to the back of my TV, etc.

Just my thoughts...