HUB will not do anything. Very badly need help.
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I just bought a home and the old owners left the iris system there. I believe I have the V2 hub(all white). I tried talking with customer support but I still can't do anything. I have done total resets holding the button for 30 seconds. I have done multiple full power downs for 3 minuets each time. Right now I'm looking at a Hub that just blinks the green led. Every 6 seconds all three leds will flash one time and then it's back to the blinking green light. 

I don't know what else to do with this system and I'd really like to use it because they left me 2 cameras and 3 contact sensors. Please if anyone can direct me that would be great. 

You have at least done a factory reset and any devices will have to be reset and re paired to the hub. Are you certain you have a good Internet connection to the hub?

I'm wired up to the hub but when I opened up the app it shows no connection. Customer support even tried to do a reset and remove the hub from the account. Support was asking about ports on the router after awhile but I couldn't access the router settings while talking to them. 

That hub has already been paired to another account.  You will need to ask support to remove it from the original account. You will then have to do a factory reset and pair it again to your new account.  If it were me I'd just buy a new hub and start from fresh.

I'd assume the old owner didn't remove it from their account. Nothing is shown connected to the hub now so should I just do factory resets on the cameras as well in order to get them to pair with a new hub? 

I want to say support removed it from all accounts but when we were trying to get it setup for me to pair. It just sits flashing the green led. 

Once you get the hub working even if you buy a new hub you can pair any of the existing devices to it, you may just need to reset the devices to get them to pair, Lowe's has Youtube videos for most of the devices that show how to do that.

Could my router have anything to do with the hub? I mean surely Lowe's didn't expect everyone to go into their router settings and make sure certain ports were opened. What should I do today in order to get this hub working or is a new one the only real option?

Maybe go buy another Hub at Lowes and connect it and see if you can get it working.   If it will not work either then it's probably not the Hub.  You can then return the new Hub.

I didn't have to do anything special to my router to get the IRIS Hub to work, just plug and play.  It seems, however, that I read a post about someone having to make some changes to their router settings to get theirs to work, Search the forum maybe you can find the thread.  I can't remember when or where I read it, but I am pretty sure it was on this forum.

Assuming you have a basic consumer grade router with nothing crazy going on, there should be no reason you should need to change anything on it.
My wife and I have tossed around the idea of selling our home, and my plan would be to allow the seller to offer to buy the "home automation package" along with the home at an additional price which will cover the cost for us to replace it in a new home. Otherwise we will remove everything except the water heater. My plan would be to factory reset all of the devices and purchase a new hub to leave with the new owners, then they can go through the process of setting up their own account on a new hub and pairing all the devices from scratch.

As the hub is making the connection to the servers you shouldn't need to make changes to your hub unless it is blocking some outgoing ports which most home routers do not do by default.

Well I went home and tried everything again. Did a full factory reset, then fully powered down the system and literally waited 5 mins(ran a timer). Powered it up and waited 5 mins. Opened the app to connect the hub and left the app open for 30 mins. It never connected, just sat there blinking that stupid green led. I'm really thinking if I can't get this to work I'll move to Smartthings. Isn't Iris being phased out by Lowe's?

No, Iris isn't being phased out. Did you do what scunny suggested and call support and ask them to remove the hub from the original account? If so, you'll need to have them verify that the hub is now associated with your account. Have them verify not only the hub ID but the MAC address of the hub as well. The MAC address of your hub should be on the label attached to the hub.

You would end up paying almost twice as much for a SmartThings hub over a new Iris hub. The cameras you have wouldn't work well with ST (you could get them to do photo bursts on trigger but not much more)  If the contact sensors are v1 (more squared corners) they wouldn't work, if they are v2 (rounded corners https://www.lowes.com/pd/Iris-Contact-Sensor-Works-with-Iris/999925302) they would work with ST.  ST is compatible with a much wider selection of devices however their supported list is about the same size as Iris and anything that isn't supported and only compatible requires community created device type handlers and smart apps.  Even their supported locks don't support pin management without a community created smart app.  ST alarm alerting is only a push notification rather than a phone call which for some people makes it less likely to be noticed.  I'm not saying ST is a bad choice but it isn't without its challenges as well.

Update... I dug in the router and still couldn't get anything to work. I was at Lowe's today and notice the hub on sale for $30. So I bought a new one and it connected no problem. So now that the hard part is over. I'm off to get stuff installed.

Hmmm... connecting the hub is the easy part, so good luck.  Keep in mind that any device that was paired to the old hub will require a factory reset before pairing it to your new hub.  

The Iris by Lowe's YouTube channel is a great resource for info on resetting devices.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckyPuKy9flpF02Kv6916zw/featured

If you run into any issues that you can't resolve there is a wealth of knowledgeable people on this forum.