The new alarm rules, motion sensors and indoor pets.
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So I have a question for anyone with with pets and the new alarm requirements 4/2017. In my previous setup I had contact and glass break sensors and such on doors and windows and just one motion sensor(small open floor plan house). In the previous setup I could set it to all devices but require 2 activation's and any of the contacts + the motion sensor set the alarm off. This worked well as I could have a good alarm system but wouldn't set off for my indoor pets. With the new system it appears I can no longer use my motion sensor in my alarm scheme as it will always activate. Plus looking at the 5 minute rule if I got two or more sensors and set them up id still be in a mess if I set it to two as they have a 5 min separation and if the pet walked the whole house in less than 5 minutes it would go off. Is there any way to set up with motion sensors and contact sensors in the new system with indoor pets without having to have every single room in the house on a separate motion sensors and requiring many items to be tripped to set the alarm off?

Thanks for any assistance.

22 minutes ago, scunny said:

I'll test tonight but I believe you're fine. I think under your scenario it would still require the motion and contact activation to trigger.

Thank you. I tried this week after the changes but every time i set it as soon as motion went off alarm tripped, it did not require the motion plus contact that was previous. If you get it working please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

55 minutes ago, scunny said:

Make sure you have the device requirement set to 2.

Ok, I thought they said  #of motion sensors was the only thing that the number counted toward and that contact sensors no matter what always fired? did I misunderstand? if so whew.

They have added support for Bosch pet immune motion detectors although I'm not sure where you can purchase them.  The one I found on Amazon was hard wired rather than Z-Wave or Zigbee,

7 hours ago, driazen said:

Ok, I thought they said  #of motion sensors was the only thing that the number counted toward and that contact sensors no matter what always fired? did I misunderstand? if so whew.

This is correct.  If you want the alarm to fire when triggered by a motion, (if a contact or glass break is not set off) you will be required to have at least two motions sensors triggered in order to alarm.  So you will need to add another motion in order to use them with pro monitoring.  In your previous setup someone would have had to trigger a contact senor or glass break for the alarm to go off anyway so having a single motion sensor in the mix was really not doing anything for you.

19 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

This is correct.  If you want the alarm to fire when triggered by a motion, (if a contact or glass break is not set off) you will be required to have at least two motions sensors triggered in order to alarm.  So you will need to add another motion in order to use them with pro monitoring.  In your previous setup someone would have had to trigger a contact senor or glass break for the alarm to go off anyway so having a single motion sensor in the mix was really not doing anything for you.

Thanks. I will have to look into those Pet immune ones..

4 hours ago, driazen said:

Sweet, did you mount yours or just have it on a cabinet/shelf?

I have it sitting on top of a picture on the wall. It's height is 6'. It's mounted on a living room wall and covers the living room, dining room and a large part of the kitchen located at about 45 degrees to the right through an arched opening between the living room and kitchen.  I have yet to see any motion during the day while we are gone but I've never had it fail to alert anytime a human is in any of those areas.  We have two cats and a shepherd running the house all day.