Z-Wave devices disconnecting/reconnecting
1 1

36 posts in this topic

ALL of my GE Z-Wave devices have been disconnecting and reconnecting at various times over the past week.
Some go AWOL for a hour or more, some for days. Right now looking on the Iris Web Portal 6 of my 7 GE Z-Wave
devices are offline. You might say what about number 7, well number 7 is not currently being used and is not plugged in.

They are all over the house and there does not seem to be any commonality between their disconnects or reconnects,
meaning they seem to have no relation to one another as far as date/time goes.

Just another of those undocumented features you get with Iris. Be sure and tell a friend.

Really getting tired of this. Nothing has been changed or moved. Nothing new that could cause interference has been
introduced into our home. No electrical work, lightning storms, visits from aliens, you name it and it didn't happen.

Number 7 might be the problem.  Your Z wave devices create a network mesh and are not designed to be taken in and out of service.  You should probably plug the 7th device back in and give them time to reconnect.  I'd run a z wave network heal after they reconnect also.

Number 7 was used for Christmas outdoor lighting and has been unplugged for
over 2 months, and I have run a network heal routine at least once since then
and it was removed from the system using the app.

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

You can verify the number of Z-wave devices that are connected through the gillion's portal.  Go to TROUBLESHOOTING | HUB INFO and look for the following:

"hubzwave:numDevices":41

Seems like there is a problem there because I only have 12 Z-wave devices in my system and the parameter you ask about says there are 17 connected.

"hubzwave:healCompleted":11
"hubzwave:healLastFinish":1489356943399
"hubadv:migrationDualEui64Fixed":false
"hubzwave:healNextScheduled":0
"hubzwave:uptime":1418582412
"hubzwave:healSuccessful":11
"hubzwave:protocol":"4.33"
"hubadv:lastRestartTime":1490893914109
"hubzwave:healPercent":0.0
"hubzwave:firmware":"4.33"
"hubzwave:healEstimatedFinish":0
"hubzwave:isSUC":true
"hubzwave:numDevices":17
"hubzwave:isOnOtherNetwork":false
"hubzwave:isSecondary":false
"hubadv:lastDbCheckResults":"ok\n"
"hubadv:hardwarever":"3"
"hubzigbee:power":3
"hub:state":"NORMAL"
"hubzwave:healFinishReason":"SUCCESS"
"hubzwave:state":"NORMAL"
"hubzwave:healRecommended":false
"hubzwave:healTotal":18
"hubzwave:healInProgress":false
"hubzwave:healLastStart":1489356372810
"hubzwave:healBlockingControl":true
"hubadv:lastRestartReason":"FIRMWARE_UPDATE"

I believe your "hubzwave:numDevices" and "hubzwave:healTotal" should match.  If you didn't use the Z-wave removal tool when you removed "Number 7" the Z-wave controller within the hub still thinks this is part of your network.

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

I believe your "hubzwave:numDevices" and "hubzwave:healTotal" should match.  If you didn't use the Z-wave removal tool when you removed "Number 7" the Z-wave controller within the hub still thinks this is part of your network.

I can confirm if that is true I have 26 num devices and 26 geal total

Mine has three more Zwave devices showing in the system (33) than it appears to have healed (30), although "healTotal" is also 33:

"hubzwave:healCompleted":30

"hubzwave:healTotal":33

"hubzwave:numDevices":33

Funny thing is, when I sort by "Protocol" in the Gill's Web Portal on the All Devices page, I only count 29 Zwave devices.

Keep in mind I only have 12 Z-Wave devices total, and with #7 not in use/connected I would think the total would be 11.

We've had a hub firmware update and reboot after this started so shouldn't the device count have reset at that point?

Will running the Z-Wave heal routine flush out any orphaned devices.

hubzwave:healCompleted = The number of nodes that the Z-Wave network heal has completed optimizing

hubzwave:healTotal = The total number of nodes that an in-progress Z-Wave network heal is optimizing.

hubzwave:numDevices = Number of devices currently paired to the z-wave chip.

^^ This is how the Iris code breaks down the attributes. Now does this mean a node did not need optimizing? I don't know 

11 hours ago, pavalov said:

Mine has three more Zwave devices showing in the system (33) than it appears to have healed (30), although "healTotal" is also 33:

"hubzwave:healCompleted":30

"hubzwave:healTotal":33

"hubzwave:numDevices":33

Funny thing is, when I sort by "Protocol" in the Gill's Web Portal on the All Devices page, I only count 29 Zwave devices.

The total number appears to be derived from the routing table and not from the total number of devices in your system.  This would include any devices that have ever been connected to your hub.  Have you had any devices that have been removed and not reconnected?  A scenario where this would happen is if you had returned a device for replacement.

8 hours ago, sparc said:

Keep in mind I only have 12 Z-Wave devices total, and with #7 not in use/connected I would think the total would be 11.

We've had a hub firmware update and reboot after this started so shouldn't the device count have reset at that point?

Will running the Z-Wave heal routine flush out any orphaned devices.

Firmware updates and reboots will not reset the device count for the Z-wave routing table.  The only way to clear the routing table is to completely reset your hub and start over.  However, i wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have a lot of free time to kill.  

Rebuilding your Z-wave network WILL NOT "flush out" orphaned devices.  It only rebuilds the routing table for the devices that it can connect to at the time you run the process.

Well, with all the problems I have had with Z-Wave devices over the past year I'll
bet there are a number of problems of the type you describe.

John, any way to add a way to clean the mess up from the web portal that would
save having to delete everything and starting over, because it sounds like that might
be what I need to do to clean up this mess.

12 hours ago, Vettester said:

Have you had any devices that have been removed and not reconnected?

I have one of the 29 that only gets energized when another one has been energized "upstream" of it, but I don't recall others that have been returned. Then again, I've got a fair-sized network and don't remember all the changes I've done to it.

Sparc, back to your original point, yes there is absolutely a bug that has hit some of our hubs zwave devices.  I have one system that over the past week has all of my ge zwave hardwire devices disconnected. The devices will reconnect from time to time as a whole, then disconnect again. Reset and remesh has not helped.  Now my devices are back online; however, they will not respond to any control input from the app or web portal.  I have one switch i had to turn off over 20 times for it to actually work, and another that just refuses.  

So they are half fixed now, they are connected but don't work.

Well, everything was finally reconnected and working fine yesterday, and now this morning all GE z-wave wired devices are down.  My years of patience isnwearing thin!

It's really pathetic that they can't fix this.

This is just one of the problem devices, history for the rest is similar.

Iris GE Z-Wave Crap.png

Nothing logged since 4/18. Switch works manually but not through Iris.

adm    1

Anyone ever see "hubzwave:numDevices" less than what it should be?   My hub reports 13, but  I have 9 zwav devices and 8 2nd Gen smartplugs (from iris webportal where I see firmware of 20085010).  

Seems like 4 smartplugs are not being seen as zwav on hub?

Thanks

20 minutes ago, adm said:

Anyone ever see "hubzwave:numDevices" less than what it should be?   My hub reports 13, but  I have 9 zwav devices and 8 2nd Gen smartplugs (from iris webportal where I see firmware of 20085010).  

Seems like 4 smartplugs are not being seen as zwav on hub?

Thanks

The Gen 2 smart plugs have the ability to repeat Z-wave, but they use the zigbee protocol to communicate to the hub.  They are not included in the "hubzwave:numDevices".

adm    1

Thanks

I was hoping for an answer as to why a utlitech alarm occasionally goes offline when it is right above a gen 2 switch (many of these are used purely as repeaters).   Also have issues with a ge outdoor switch having poor reception (seems to need to be within 5 ft of a repeater)   Guess these are all the zwave issues many of us see.

on the positive side, zigbee is rock solid and first alert detectors are fairly stable . 

adm    1

One other thing doesn't make sense from hub status.   I see:

"hubzwave:numDevices":13

hubzwave:healTotal":13"

hubzwave:healCompleted":4

i have 9 zwave devices, all currently online.  Ican understand the total may be higher due to some devices I removed, but I do show 9 active devices.(6  first alert smoke detectors/combo, utlitech siren, utilitech leak detector and  ge outdoor switch )    Any idea why the count of only 4 heal completed?

thanks

Thanks
I was hoping for an answer as to why a utlitech alarm occasionally goes offline when it is right above a gen 2 switch (many of these are used purely as repeaters).   Also have issues with a ge outdoor switch having poor reception (seems to need to be within 5 ft of a repeater)   Guess these are all the zwave issues many of us see.
on the positive side, zigbee is rock solid and first alert detectors are fairly stable . 

I did a post a while back from issues I was having with gen 2 smart plugs repeating. Apparently it is very important that you pair these within 10 feet of the hub and let them sit 5+ minutes to stabilize the networks before moving them to their permanent home. If not, the zigbee will work but the zwave radio pairing will fail and they won't repeat z-wave. I had to remove, reset, and re-pair all of mine when iris support said two of them weren't repeating zwave but they couldn't tell me which ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Paring Plug within 10 feet...  strange that it would work this way, but then again so is everything with Iris....

Here is another strange thing with my issue...  My Z-wave GE devices almost always re-connect during the daytime as my outside porch light, landscape lights etc.. will turn on, per my scheduled timers; however, they almost always drop off in the middle of the night and I have to shut every switch off manually in the morning.   They will reconnect again sometime in the afternoon and then disconnect in the middle of the night.  It certainly seems like Iris is tinkering with the system in the middle of the night, over and over and over again...

Out of frustration I called tech support yesterday and asked them to send me a new hub, they of course refused and told me that I should shut un-pair ALL z-wave devices, then shut down the house power for 5 minutes, then re-add each one to the system...    I haven't decided if I want to try this yet as I have many different schedules on my z-wave devices.  It would be nice if they would send me replacement zigbee switches and take my z-wave ones in return as zigbee has been 100 times more reliable all the way back to the superior V1 system

7 minutes ago, thegillion said:

Have you pulled a Zwave map. It sounds like you have your data going to your zwave outside lights then coming back to your house.

Wow, nice website, I had not seen it since you started your project, thank you for your efforts!

I am missing the area where I might find any sort of device mapping tool?