Are we going to be able to change colors with Echo?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

It looks like scene control via echo is either here, or coming very soon. (as of today, if you discover devices, alexa will add your scenes to your list of smart home devices)
I don't have any colored bulbs, but I wonder if the color can be changed as part of a scene.
If so, you should be able to create a scene with the colors you want and launch it via echo.

A little late, but better late then never.  I am able to control the color of a Lightify RGB strip controller via Alexa (and Iris).  I can say "Alexa, set colored lights to red." and it happens.  I tried red, green and blue.  The red was spot on, the blue was a little green for me, but I'm not using the native Lightify strips, I rewired the Lightify controller to work with my existing RGB strips (the Lightify strips are RGBW).

Now what would be nice would be if Iris supported color cycling.  My old RGB strip controller (IR based) allowed my to select different speeds and patterns of color cycling.  I don't think the Lighify (Osram) controller supports this, but I'll do a bit more research on it.

*** edit ***  I see from the suggestion link that it is more the ability to set a color via rule that you're looking for.  I agree, that would be great!

5 hours ago, GraemeCracker said:

A little late, but better late then never.  I am able to control the color of a Lightify RGB strip controller via Alexa (and Iris).  I can say "Alexa, set colored lights to red." and it happens.  I tried red, green and blue.  The red was spot on, the blue was a little green for me, but I'm not using the native Lightify strips, I rewired the Lightify controller to work with my existing RGB strips (the Lightify strips are RGBW).

Now what would be nice would be if Iris supported color cycling.  My old RGB strip controller (IR based) allowed my to select different speeds and patterns of color cycling.  I don't think the Lighify (Osram) controller supports this, but I'll do a bit more research on it.

*** edit ***  I see from the suggestion link that it is more the ability to set a color via rule that you're looking for.  I agree, that would be great!

Hey it works!!!!! I have the Osram lights in my living room. They are all under the scene Living Room. I said, Alexa, Change Living Room Lights To Red and they all changed. Very Nice!!! Thanks GraemeCracker!!!

This is really cool,  surprised more haven’t posted on this.  It works great, so much easier than having to move the slider to the precise spot to get a particular color.  

Heres my guess at what happened.  

Feature was included in the firmware update last month

Could be listed in release notes for the app update, but I think someone posted that Apple rejected the app so it would be delayed.  

Since the Echo communicates to the hub directly without the app,  this works due to the firmware update and hasn’t been communicated due to the app delay.  

Just my guess...