Camera is seeing ghosts!

8 posts in this topic

I have six outdoor cameras. Starting at about 9:30 am Friday, one camera (indoor/outdoor model) has decided to see motion practically every minute. I was getting 45+ notifications every hour before I turned off the notification rule. Checking the history I see the motion sensor is still firing almost constantly, but there are strange breaks in the pattern. Friday night from 8:37 to 11:57, it reported no motion. Saturday morning from 12:01 am to noon it only had 8 hits, but then went back to constant detection at around 1 pm Saturday, and has been firing constantly ever since, hundreds of times, until just before 10 pm Sunday. It has been on hiatus the last few hours.

I've checked the sensitivity settings for the camera with the Gill's web portal -- they are no different than my other cameras.

What gives? More importantly, how do I stop it?

I've had this happen on several cameras, and for the most part, they never function properly again as a motion detector. All but one of these were the V1 cameras, both outdoor and indoor. The one V2 that recently succumbed to this behavior is an indoor/outdoor model (and is still in warranty - but no time yet to deal with it). This is the eighth camera to do this, but only two have ever returned to normal behavior. Typically when this happens, I stick up a motion detector and just use that to trigger the cameras. I note that this has now happened (permanently)  to a full 40% of my cameras, and all except for the last one being out of warranty at the time of failure. These cameras clog up the log, and I haven't found any way to turn the logging off. Close physical inspection shows no apparent issues. I suspect that something is happening in the MD circuit that may generate noise or make the camera susceptible to noise. 

I had this happen with one of my v1 outdoor cameras after a system update but it corrected itself after about 48 hours and has worked as well as the rest of my cameras since.

I am pleased (although puzzled) to report that the camera is back to normal. I was contacted by a member of the development team regarding another matter and raised this one with her as well. I was told that, unless it is an indoor camera acting this way, they don't pay much attention to the reports because it is so often due to wind.  I explained that it must be a very selective wind path, because my other five outdoor cameras were immune to it.

I don't have IRIS cameras but I have several outdoor IP cameras.  Every spring I have a boat-load of false alerts due to bugs, especially at night due to the IR lights, and sometimes they're too quick in and out of frame for the camera to document but enough to set off the alert.  I especially love it when a spider decides to lay a string of webbing over the lens.  Just another factor to keep in mind.

On 4/24/2017 at 2:41 AM, hxn said:

Typically when this happens, I stick up a motion detector and just use that to trigger the cameras. I note that this has now happened (permanently)  to a full 40% of my cameras, and all except for the last one being out of warranty at the time of failure.

Is this the V1 or V2 motion detector? Is that motion detector weather-proof? I've thought about doing this but am not sure how the motion detectors would react to being out in the rain - or, if I put them under an awning to protect from that, how they'd work if it's just damp or cold outside. I had thought they weren't necessarily designed for outside use. If they do work well outside, I'm definitely going to give this a shot - I only have one camera, it always exhibited this behavior, and so I wasn't about to go and buy another. I'd even like to use perimeter sensors to trigger these, but Lowe's doesn't sell any and I'm not sure whether any of the ones on the market (e.g., Optex Beam Detector) will work with the hub.

I have a v2 motion sensor (not waterproof) under my eaves facing down and it works great, the only "false detections" I get are rabbits and cats so they aren't really false but if there had been a pet immune one available back then I probobly would have gotten that instead.  I use this to turn on the front outside lights for 5 minutes on movement.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:31 PM, calthaer said:

Is this the V1 or V2 motion detector? Is that motion detector weather-proof? I've thought about doing this but am not sure how the motion detectors would react to being out in the rain - or, if I put them under an awning to protect from that, how they'd work if it's just damp or cold outside. I had thought they weren't necessarily designed for outside use. If they do work well outside, I'm definitely going to give this a shot - I only have one camera, it always exhibited this behavior, and so I wasn't about to go and buy another. I'd even like to use perimeter sensors to trigger these, but Lowe's doesn't sell any and I'm not sure whether any of the ones on the market (e.g., Optex Beam Detector) will work with the hub.

I have used only the V1 outdoors - they seem tighter and better built. I use them mostly under eaves. For the more exposed ones I use a single layer of white electrical tape and leave a tiny gap at the bottom. The tape is not visible more than a few inches away. These will trigger repeatedly on days where the sun is rapidly going in and out, but most other times they are reasonably stable. I have had no trouble with the units internally getting wet or damp.