Iris vs SmartThings
3 3

31 posts in this topic

I left Iris for ST about 16 months ago. I noted at the time that the grass wasn't really greener, and I'd stick with that. It's just different. I've learned to work around many of my issues, but there are things Iris is simply better at.

Things I like about ST:

• Flexibility. We have accent lights that do all sorts of cool stuff - change colors to note when doors are left open, change color with the weather forecast, the seasons. Fun stuff, and fun to program. (If you think that sort of thing is fun. Big learning curve, so not for everyone.)
  • Much better camera. I can actually tell what's going on. 
  • Better selection of devices. That being said, a lot of the Iris stuff is still as good as or better than other options out there, so I still use most of them. (I just wish that half of my Iris motion sensors wouldn't fault out and kill their batteries once a month.)
  • Stable. A few dropouts (always Iris devices though), but it's not common. Not sure how that compares to Iris of today though.

Things I don't like, or miss from Iris:

• Iris is simply way better at being an alarm system, as Smitho notes above. ST inexplicably still doesn't have a delay when the alarm is triggered, or good keypad support. Presence using your smartphone is usually great, but even with a large radius sometimes just doesn't pick up. I am so sick of the false alarms, it's inexcusable how ST has failed improve this aspect.
  • Lack of any new native features. I always enjoyed the steady flow of new features with Iris. Not sure how it's been since, but it was nice that functionality was continuously added. Other than maybe getting buttons for changing the temperature in the app and a passable dashboard, I can't think of any feature in ST that I want that was actually improved in those 16 months. In the forums, ST has said they are working on stuff (important stuff - like a delay before the alarm goes off!), but no idea where any of it is. Yes, you can add third party stuff, and the flexibility (like with CoRE) can be fantastic. But that (at least when I tried it a year ago) added so much lag I couldn't deal with it.

In the end, I'm happy my switch because it's a fun system to tinker with, but if that's not what you're looking for, Iris is in many ways more compelling. While I was frustrated with the v2 change on Iris, in the end I came away with a very positive impression of Lowe's, for doing what was right for the customer. And now have a better impression of Iris, seeing that the steady improvements it always had just aren't present (at least natively) with ST.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, tread said:

I use both ST and Iris.  I think multiple hubs is the way its gonna be. I don't think one Hub will ever do it all. Using Amazons Alexa and Logitech Hub as well.

off topic...It would be nice if we could get virtual switches that would link commands between hubs through IFTTT or something...for instance a Rule in Iris to send command to IFTTT to send command to ST to activate a device that only works on ST. and vice versa.

I got ST because of early Iris issues, and have stuck with Iris due to v1 product for most of my Smart home. I use ST for GE wink a19 bulbs that dont work with Iris and for when my Iris deletes my entire hub leaving me without a way to unlock my doors!

I've owned Wink, Wink 2 smart hub and SmartThings. While I still prefer SmartThings, I honestly think that the Wink 2 might be a better hub. It works flawlessly and doesn't crash like SmartThing does from time to time.  

On 12/5/2017 at 10:36 PM, kayak said:

I always enjoyed the steady flow of new features with Iris. Not sure how it's been since, but it was nice that functionality was continuously added.

You must have really enjoyed the V2 transition then... They basically wiped out all the features and you get to "enjoy" these "new features" being added back..... hahahahaha
Seriously though... they have gotten to the point where things are ALMOST back to where they were with V1. They have made some progress with some big things like local processing.
I think we are still waiting on a few big items though... Energy monitoring is probably the biggest thing that is still completely missing. Some other things include lock access scheduling and some little things like the ability to change the state of the LED on GE smart switches. Also, I hope water heater functionality eventually gets back to at least the point it was with V1 and I'm still not a fan of the way presence works with thermostats in V2.
Oh, and there are still some people really upset that you can barely do anything with blinds.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:36 PM, kayak said:

Things I don't like, or miss from Iris:

• Iris is simply way better at being an alarm system, as Smitho notes above. ST inexplicably still doesn't have a delay when the alarm is triggered, or good keypad support. Presence using your smartphone is usually great, but even with a large radius sometimes just doesn't pick up. I am so sick of the false alarms, it's inexcusable how ST has failed improve this aspect.
  • Lack of any new native features. I always enjoyed the steady flow of new features with Iris. Not sure how it's been since, but it was nice that functionality was continuously added. Other than maybe getting buttons for changing the temperature in the app and a passable dashboard, I can't think of any feature in ST that I want that was actually improved in those 16 months. In the forums, ST has said they are working on stuff (important stuff - like a delay before the alarm goes off!), but no idea where any of it is. Yes, you can add third party stuff, and the flexibility (like with CoRE) can be fantastic. But that (at least when I tried it a year ago) added so much lag I couldn't deal with it.

In the end, I'm happy my switch because it's a fun system to tinker with, but if that's not what you're looking for, Iris is in many ways more compelling. While I was frustrated with the v2 change on Iris, in the end I came away with a very positive impression of Lowe's, for doing what was right for the customer. And now have a better impression of Iris, seeing that the steady improvements it always had just aren't present (at least natively) with ST.

I have many devices in SmartThings as well as Iris and I've actually had very good luck with the phone presence sensors on our iPhones with ST.  My wife used to have an Android and that was problematic with geofencing, and since iOS 11 we have to keep the ST app running in the background, but we have had only one false alarm in the last year.  Lately ST has made many improvements, but your right the 10 months prior that I was on ST there was little native improvements.  Lately though they have greatly improved the number of devices that run local (as long as you don't use community created DTHs for devices like locks, Aeon Labs mini motes, sirens, contact sensors, switches, bulbs, ... Also the only SmartApp that will run local is their SmartLighting app and the Smart Home Monitor (their alarm system).  They are missing a natively supported keypad though and their presence sensor fobs don't run locally yet so if your Internet goes down and you arrive home you have no way to stop an alarm until the internet comes back on short of unplugging things and pulling batteries (they are supposedly working on getting the presence sensors to run locally but they really need to get a keypad that they support natively as well.  They have also finally gotten the app secured via touchID and their lock code manager (I was never comfortable with having my locks on ST until they got their own lock code manager because I could see the codes being passed in clear text with the community created DTHs and SamrtApps via the logs).  One of the many things I really like about Iris is only half there but its better than ST which is when you assign a contact sensor as a Door you can easily see how many, if any doors are open at a glance, I just wish they would do the same for Windows.  With the ST Lock manager it does that with your locks so that finally matches up with Iris.  I also like Iris's native calling to notify you of an alarm even if it is not monitored whereas with ST I only get push or SMS notices natively and need to use IFTTT to get a call (which I find to be much more likely for me to notice quickly).

57 minutes ago, Terk said:

I also like Iris's native calling to notify you of an alarm even if it is not monitored whereas with ST I only get push or SMS notices natively and need to use IFTTT to get a call (which I find to be much more likely for me to notice quickly).

Although I now have monitoring, this used to be a biggie for me! I get bombarded with text, emails, and push notifications during the day. While at work I often get several notifications which go long periods of time between reading them.
A phone call, if not picked up immediately, is at least viewed before I hit the ignore button if I can't get it. I've always been very impressed at how quickly the call comes from iris! I just got a call today about a water leak (I was testing something) and the call literally came in before I got the push notification (which in itself seems to happen in real time). In fact, it happened so fast I assumed it COULD NOT have been iris that quickly and for a split second I was frustrated that someone was calling and interrupting my test! haha

As far as the "open door count", I do like that feature as well... but I wish it replaced the number of open doors with some text like "all closed, 1 unlocked", or "all closed and locked" when there is nothing open. Not a big deal, just me being a bit picky.
It would give me a warm and fuzzy feeling to scroll through my dashboard and see the following text (instead of blank cards where "all is good"):

Climate: 68 degrees
Home & Family: No one is home
Lights & Switches: All off
Doors & Locks: All doors are closed and locked
Windows: All secure
Alarm: Security is armed / no CO or water leaks
Water: available at 120 Degrees F
Care: no alarms triggered
Lawn & Garden: Next event Sat at 6AM
Cameras: Last recording at _______

Biggest thing to me is the lack of a hub backup. I have on two occasions had to install a new hub, and all my devices, settings, and rules were lost. Even though the V2 hub is clearly capable of spoofing the hub address (witness the V1 > V2 upgrade process), Lowe's has failed to write a script or app to back up one hub and restore to another. I have had an ST hub for some time, but haven't installed it yet. My attention has turned to the new VeraSecure device, which clearly offers backup and restore of a hub. Needless to say, on the next Iris hub failure without a backup, I'm gone.