Rules, Scenes and Favorites are now free in the Basic plan
1 1

40 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Vettester said:

Not really, I'm sure I'll just spend the savings on more devices.

I'd like to buy more devices but I'd have to have a bigger house to install them.  There's a limit to this madness.

I switched to the free plan about a week ago and I haven't missed anything. I tested one of my leak sensors over the weekend and confirmed that I received the call/notification/email.

I feel better about Iris and it's quirks/issues now that I'm not paying for it. When I was paying $10/month, I was getting annoyed every time something didn't work or wasn't at V1 parity. 

If the basic version allowed our cameras to record on a rule trigger, I would definitely drop to basic. Unfortunately, that doesn't sound like the case. I'll be sticking with the $10/mo until I find a better solution.

Blue Iris has built in motion sensing capabilities that are far superior to Iris. You can have it record on motion, constant record 24/7 or anything in between. It's an awesome piece of software that only costs $60 which is half the cost of what you would pay for Iris on an annual basis.

Granted there are some upfront hardware costs, but if you shop around those can be kept to a minimum.

34 minutes ago, cbtexan04 said:

If the basic version allowed our cameras to record on a rule trigger, I would definitely drop to basic. Unfortunately, that doesn't sound like the case. I'll be sticking with the $10/mo until I find a better solution.

I'm going to call and complain/make a suggestion

They should give you very very basic free storage,   then add the 3GB as an up-sell feature for the professional monitor.   Worth a try

Have any of you checked to see what your insurance company will reduce your homeowners premium by if you have pro monitoring?  Lowe's has reduced it to $14.95 which includes all services including cellular back up and premium service.  I know one member who received a discount that covered the entire cost of the pro monitoring service making it essentially free.

10 minutes ago, Otto Mation said:

Have any of you checked to see what your insurance company will reduce your homeowners premium by if you have pro monitoring?  Lowe's has reduced it to $14.95 which includes all services including cellular back up and premium service.  I know one member who received a discount that covered the entire cost of the pro monitoring service making it essentially free.

I'm checking with my insurance.

My concern is I set it off by accident a lot.  Both from grace periods being set to 15s and only having 1 motion sensor trigger.

Both could be solved by changing grace period to 30s and requiring 2 motion sensors,  but personally I like the "trigger happy" system and tolerate an occasional false alarm.

Do others get false alarms or does everyone have it set more conservatively?

I have my grace periods set at 15s and 1 motion sensor trigger and the only false alarms I've experienced is with a garage door saying it opened in the middle of the night when it actually did not.

I have not yet had a false alarm but i use partial mode all the time which only uses contact, glass break, smoke and CO sensors.  I have contacts on every door and window.  Incidentally, with pro monitoring you will be required to have two motions to set off an alarm absent a contact or glass break sensor triggering. 

The grace period false alarm is just me being dumb/slow...

I don't know what's up with my motion sensor,  I have 4 total and only 1 of them cause the false alarm issue.   

I've been on iris for about 2 years and aside from user error (entering the wrong code, etc), I have only had one false alarm from a motion sensor.
I never figured out exactly what triggered it, but I am thinking it was a shadow from a tree branch through a nearby window. It was a little windy that day so the tree branch could have moved enough to look like movement in the house?

The only false alarms I have had were when a contact sensor fell off a door because the tape failed.  A few times I have forgotten to disarm the system before opening the shed door or a window and a few times the camera motion sensor in the shed detected motion in the middle of the night but when I looked at the recording I saw a moth probably drawn to the IR lights.