Remote blinds...really remote installer!
2 2

6 posts in this topic

So I finally decided to buy some remote controlled smart blinds from Lowe's...some that would work with my Wink, ST, or Iris. I live in East Texas---near Louisiana border.

Went to closest Lowe's 28 miles away. Got quotes...styles, etc.

Spent a lot of time...Lowe's says the installer would come out to my home and measure...blah .blah..that's fine with me. What day this week or next will installer be there I ask?

Lowe's says "not sure of exact day"..very evasive on time...may be a while...he's pretty fast though...finally tells me that installer that measures for blind installation comes out of CALIFORNIA! I ask "California the STATE or California the TOWN?"...

It's the state so they can't give me definitive time! I now find out from friends that their blind purchases sometimes took 3-4 months from measure to finish install.

I guess the installer waits until he gets several jobs lined up before heading east from CA.

I finally said forget it I'll just go to a blind store or try Home Depot. Seems ridiculous for closest installer for E TX to be in CA. Lowe's salesperson said "We don't sell a lot of remote smart blinds."...I wonder why??????

On 5/9/2017 at 4:56 PM, mojo2600 said:

"We don't sell a lot of remote smart blinds."

This feels like the energy monitor marketing situation. During the V1 days, they offered them in less than 100 stores, and now argue that their "metrics" showed less than robust customer interest in that capability; hence they don't see it as a priority for parity in V2.

I put an Add A Motor AD80 D80 Drapery Motor on my living room drapes to automate my existing drapes for $100.  I just plugged it into an Iris Smart Plug and it runs until the black hands on the front trip the switch then it will stop until power is turned off and back on.  I just have it scheduled to toggle the Smart Plug at 8 am and Sunset and have a "Turn off a device that's been on too long" rule setup for 1 minute so it is ready between uses.

There are a few limitations though

• I'm unable to set a favorite position, they are either open or closed (or whatever you set as open or closed when setting it up)
  • It obviously cannot tell Iris it's current state so if you have already closed the curtains when sunset comes it will open them again.  If Iris had a rule like "When a switch is turned on then toggle another switch" I could set it up to toggle the state of one of my other Smart Plugs that are just acting as repeaters to base my Sunset action on, if they would allow you to specify that the schedule should only happen when a switch is in a certain state.
    • Because of this I moved this Smart Plug to my SmartThings hub and installed a Virtual Switch to keep track of if the curtains are currently open or closed so the morning rule won't close them if I've already opened them, since I can make the rules I need there via CoRE.

The Axis Blind controller looks interesting, I'm looking forward to its release to see how well it works for a few of my other blinds.  Does anyone know what the Spring Blinds are they said would work with Iris in the 2.1 announcement?

Just fyi,I've been in the window covering business for about 20 yrs.I own my own retail store as well. I have installed hundreds  of motorized blinds over the last 15 yrs. I have 10 units on my house, to which three are controlled by Iris.

Cost is expensive, about 250.00 to add a motor on top of the cost of the blind.

I suggest you go to a local window covering retailer, it's not much more than lowes.

I'm in Ohio,if I was close I would help you out.