Hacking backup battery...
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone has hacked the backup battery tray on a V2 hub? By hacking, I mean instead of using disposable alkaline batteries, running the tray off a 5 vDC supply. I have an idea to use my UPS I built for my cable modem and routers, and put a 12v to 5v DC supply on that, and wire into the tray. My biggest concern is the combined voltage of 4 AA batteries equals to a bit above 5v, like 5.7-5.8. I just don't want to do the mod if the hub doesn't see 5v constant as a viable backup. I know the wall wart is a 5v unit, and I did think about running off that, but then I wouldn't get the power failure notification I want if utility power fails, as it takes about 15 min after a failure for the boosters for my cable provider to die, so I can get a quick alarm out before that occurs.

On another note, I have successfully modified my V2 hub with an external sounder, as the 3v pizeo on the board is too weak for my taste. That's another post though....

Scunny,

I thought about that, had it on the UPS i have my modem, but wasn't getting notifications for power failures, because the UPS has a very long runtime, and I don't have a network capable UPS for power fail notifications.

I don't think I've received a notification for a power outage/restore since going to v2.  A couple of weeks ago a storm came through and we lost power for almost 24 hours.  I removed the batteries so not to have them go dead since nothing worked anyway.  (If only we had local processing...)  In my area no power = no Internet access.  At about hour 18 of the outage, I received a notification that one of my previously disconnected zwave switches had reconnected.  I thought was odd I would be notified of that.  I wasn't home and tried to get to the hub but it said the hub was not able to be reached.  I called my wife at home and confirmed that power never came back on.  

If my story is typical, I would just connect power to the UPS and call it a day.

I could just go UPS on the wall wart, but I have gotten power fail notifications. And for when local processing happens I can still have alarms for an extended period...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

One issue with that configuration is if you use the uab LTE modem it will not work when the hub is running off its backup batteries, or at least that was the case when I had the modem.  I always hoped they would find a way to fix that.

I wonder if I can cut the trace and supply a separate 5v to the USB if that would solve your issue. I dont have a modem to test that with though...

Well, I got the mod done on my hub. Instead of direct wiring' I ran a USB a flying lead to the battery tray. Works perfectly, proving a cheap 12 v USB charger will do the trick. Hub switched over, got my notification, and no low battery alarms.

I did a similar thing, but i used a 6vdc battery and i hard wired my kwikset door locks. saved me a ton on battery cost, but instead of 5vdc from usb i went and did 6vdc from a 6v battery.

This is how the modification I made is setup. I notched the battery tray door for the power cable. I used an old USB A-B cable and chopped the B end off. Then I cut and insulated the data wires(green and white) leaving red and black. I took the red and black and ran them non the battery pads into the hole on the top part of the contact(its like they wanted me to do it!)then I connected the new backup power supply cord into my 12v to 5v converter with a USB female. I was going to just direct wire but then I thought if the converter ever fails, all I need is a USB power supply for a vehicle plug it in and voila!66369f68abad0d822b27f1d2268ca84c.jpg7a5ea0d764d966b2a7a90e4ec393d9a8.jpg464d8224f52cac2f1f7a7fe42fed76ff.jpg20b03d3ff807615d7d42252c59fa744a.jpg