Most robust way to automate alarm
1 1

45 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wlepse said:

Thanks but I bought that one and can't get it to connect.

I'm assuming you've already tried the manual reset procedure?

I agree the stakes are higher when your home but it seems like daytime burglaries are on the rise. So automating it for this reason alone is important. Also I think many discount how it makes people feel when someone breaks into their home...some people never quite recover. So for me it is vital to arm it when we leave but also to make it seemless so we are less likely to get false alarms.

Being in Law Enforcement for 16 years I can say the almost every burglary I have responded to was during the day. Most thieves kick in back door or go through unlocked window. They also like houses that are close to highways or wooded areas. Never had a house that had an alarm sounding that the thief didn't run away as soon as alarm sounded. That's my experience from the small town I work in anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up picking up two off eBay. I plan to test them this weekend. Hoping it works as expected. But I do have a question; the default for the buttons is to arm or disarm the system. Seems like a bad idea to have a button shut off the alarm especially since we keep our keys in a bowl as you walk in. So what else have people set these up to do?

DHolovako...not surprised. Though I hope having retired law enforcement and active enforcement across the street will deter thieves. I live in the country (for NJ) and there are no highways that close but there is plenty of woods. Just hoping the open neighborhood, 150' to tree line and swamp back there is enough.

So what else have people set these up to do?

So I was using mine to lock and unlock my deadbolts because the presence rules weren't responding quick enough for me. However, I have noticed that since the last platform update, the arrival presence rule seems to be responding much quicker.

8 hours ago, Vettester said:

So I was using mine to lock and unlock my deadbolts because the presence rules weren't responding quick enough for me. However, I have noticed that since the last platform update, the arrival presence rule seems to be responding much quicker.

So are you concerned about giving an intruder an easy way to disable alarm?  Also can anyone confirm if the disarm button will silence the alarm after it was activated or does it only work in the grace period?

7 hours ago, Vettester said:

How is an intruder going to disable the alarm?

We leave our keys in a bowl near the door. Just thinking if they happen to see the fob and know how the system works they can disarm without knowing your pin. Highly unlikely but this is the same reason you can't disarm with Alexa or other buttons.

2 hours ago, Wlepse said:

We leave our keys in a bowl near the door. Just thinking if they happen to see the fob and know how the system works they can disarm without knowing your pin. Highly unlikely but this is the same reason you can't disarm with Alexa or other buttons.

My bad, I assumed you were directing your question to how I am utilizing the buttons on my fobs.